Worlds 2021 US Selection Camp (October 8-11)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Wait, Al is suggesting that Brenna was disadvantaged in the training hall as a “strong vaulter”. As opposed to checks notes McKayla Maroney and Simone Biles…
Confused Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

The Fongs are stuck in 2006. That’s the only way I can make sense of why their athletes have marathon routines that max out at like a 5.6 D.
And it wasn’t even working back then, really. McCool and Humphrey tried dance elements that were bullshit even under the 01-05 Code, and GAGE Ivana was swiftly relegated to alternate tier in Stuttgart.

I suppose Humphrey won UB silver, but that was in a finals from hell compared to what it could have been.

Last edited:
I suppose Humphrey won UB silver, but that was in a finals from hell compared to what it could have been.
Which was the only event that the routine made sense and was well constructed, but also Terin had natural bars ability.
Humphrey had so much talent and ability on beam and floor but never was able to capitalize. She was forever stuck with 9.8 start value because of that damned tuck jump double full which was not credited 99% of the time internationally. She was never able to consistently do a DTY and the laidout Khorkina 2 (Cheng) that she competed was a one time thing in 2002. Why they pushed for it to be laid out when a tuck version was still 9.9 I will never understand.

I found it amusing that Humphrey was sent to 2002 worlds for VT and FX and ended up doing UB and BB in the 2004 TF. I have a vague memory that no US gymnasts had a 10.0 SV on bars in Athens. Does that mean she won silver with a 9.9 SV or am I misremembering?

Last edited:
I have a vague memory that no US gymnasts had a 10.0 SV on bars in Athens. Does that mean she won silver with a 9.9 SV or am I misremembering?
No - Humphrey and Kupets both had routines starting from a 10.0 SV. Bhardwaj, Hatch, McCool, and Patterson had routines starting from a 9.9. Of the alternates, Memmel and Schwikert had routines starting from a 10.0, while Ishino started from a 9.8.

Last edited:
Thanks for the correction. I think I might be confusing it with no FX 10.0 SVs in TF because of missed cat leaps/double twisting tuck jumps etc.

Last edited:
With everything that’s going on, Does anyone have a thought about the likelihood of this actually happening? If not when you think they would announce it??

Thanks for the correction. I think I might be confusing it with no FX 10.0 SVs in TF because of missed cat leaps/double twisting tuck jumps etc.
Patterson had a 10.0 most of the time except in Athens prelims when she missed her (IIRC) cat leap double, resulting in a 9.800 start value. That mistake cost her a trip to event finals and a likely floor medal considering her 9.662 in team finals and 9.712 in the all around. Sofronie had a 9.562 and Moreno 9.487.

Last edited:
I’m still a little bitter over that because Patterson was so capable of making two event finals, but she always kinda struggled to hit to maximum potential in prelims, though. Her performance during 2003 Worlds qualifications was also lackluster.

Last edited:
With everything that’s going on, Does anyone have a thought about the likelihood of this actually happening? If not when you think they would announce it??
I hope they have Worlds. Probably no press and no audience. But you raise a valid point.

I mean, they had the Olympics, I assume they will have worlds, but not everyone will attend, I’m guessing.

I’m still a little bitter over that because Patterson was so capable of making two event finals, but she always kinda struggled to hit to maximum potential in prelims, though. Her performance during 2003 Worlds qualifications was also lackluster.
She was 2pered out of Bars as well

Were Terin’s improvements on bars that vast between Trials and the Olympics? GGMB was such a mess that I’m not sure I ever saw an explanation.

Last edited:
Hmm… not sure but I personally thought she was underscored domestically at least on UB

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back