WAG/MAG Podium Training Notes/ Quick Hits/ Reports (Wed. July 21- Thurs. July 22)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Tom doesn’t show up on the 2019 USAG 990, which means it was less than $100,000 that year.
Is that the criteria for who you have to list on Schedule J on a 990? Any compensated employee earning over 100,00? I thought it was just the highest paid employees, so if he earned less than Li Li Leung and Mark Busby they would not have to list him. I really do not know though.

I just looked, you have to list your key employees and top 5 highest compensated employees who made more than $100,000 but are not key employees. I’ve just always worked at places small enough that $100K will generally be a threshold only 2-3 employees surpass and forgot that it’s top 5 above that, not everyone above that.

Key employee definition:
A key employee is defined as anyone who receives compensation of more than $150,000 USD; is one of the top 20 compensated employees; and meets any one of these requirements:
  • Has responsibilities, powers, or influence over the organization as a whole;
  • Manages a discrete activity of the organization that represents 10 percent or more of the organization’s total activities, assets, income, or expenses; or
  • Has authority to control 10 percent or more of the organization’s capital expenditures, operating budget, or employee compensation.
Just looked a little more closely at USAG’s 990, and they don’t have anyone listed as a Key Employee; Li Li Leung is considered an officer. The 5 highest compensated employees (besides Leung) are:
Mark Busby, Legal Counsel for Safe Sport.
Stefanie Korepin, Chief programs Officer
Leslie King, VP of Communications L
Erica Koven, Chief of Membership Services
Brett McClure, Men’s High Performance Director

Bernadette Barron, CFO, is also listed as an officer, and she made $110,000 in 2019.

Leung, Barron, and the 5 listed above make 7, and the 990s says only 7 employees made more than $100,000 that year.

Last edited:
Yes, Tom earns less, and I suspect he earns less than $100,000.

Wanna just add it to the running file for Nats/Trials/RUS? Seems like everybody or almost everybody is around this week, and I’ve gotten a few texts about hypothetical spreadsheet scores from PT.

Last edited:
How is Brett paid more than Tom??? You would think they would have lured Tom with $$ for him to take a job no one wanted.

Isn’t it crazy that there is only 0.2 in difficult between Biles’ and Skinner’s dismounts.

They’re actually very similarly constructed.

Last edited:
PT thoughts:

Jade’s floor is more impressive than Mykayla’s, Mykayla looks better on vault. Hope that’s how finals shake out, it totally sucks they’re both competing against each other to not be 2-pered for silver. They HAVE to know that, it just seems cruel. I also was a fan of Suni as the #2 floor worker before today, but not sure now if it really holds up.

Suni’s resting face is just not naturally a happy one, so it always looks like she’s sad or hurt every time she finishes something. I thought people here were overreacting, I’m generally in the “she’ll be fine it’s just a few more days she can power through” camp, but her vault landings had me legitimately cringing.

Simone’s big Yurchenko timer and final YDP are just unbelievable. Her Cheng traveled soooo far I can’t believe she isn’t doing her front double full, or even a 2.5. Remember when she was doing Lopez vaults for years because she “couldn’t figure the Cheng out”?? 🤣

Tom is weird. Everybody else seems genuinely on track. The coaches and athletes seem genuinely relaxed. Hard to tell if Suni and Jordan are “post peak” or just having an off day to get acclimated. Grace looks fine but i saw the D-score breakdown and was genuinely surprised (I guess, not really) she was that far back on every event.

Suni’s UB is amazing. It super sucks for Leanne Wong, and Kara too. That is not how I’d wanting to be spend my lifelong dream either, regardless of the public opinion on her vaccination status. It’s just a 180 degree turn from 2 years ago and for all time, where it was like “I can be on my deathbed, with a 108 degree fever, having a kidney stone, or Kerri Strugging my way to patriotism”, and now it’s like “your vaccinated bff who was in the room before you is totally fine but also your dreams are canceled and you’re out”. That just sucks

Did we ever figure out what happens if USA has 3 in the top 8, and 2nd and 3rd have equal scores?

I know this happened with Aly and Gabby in Rio BB Prelims - but it was moot because both of them were 2 perd by Simone and Laurie.

Take Laurie out of the equation for a second. And assume that D and E are equal.

How do you break the tie?

If you can’t break it, and you let 9 compete, doesn’t that also breach the 2 per country rule?

What do you do? Do you start removing individual judges scores like they did breaking the Nastia/He tie?

I know there is a tie break procedure for this… I’ll see if I can find it.
ETA: Seems I was thinking of this from the FIG. But it doesn’t clarify what would happen if both gymnasts are in qualification, sharing the second highest score from their country and are eligible to make finals. Interesting.

Last edited:
well Jade submitted the triple double layout

Anyone have the whole list of new elements?

TPTB would have to pick the 2nd gymnast. There was a case of this happening with Italy during a past Euros, IIRC.

Yikes, imagine the drama if they outright picked. That would be just awful.
Thankfully I think the likelihood of someone getting the exact same D and E score AND being from the same NOC would probably be fairly low… but not impossible.

If they can’t break the tie, they could have a vault off. That would be much fairer than letting Tom and/or the coaches pick.

agreed… a K!
I wonder if we will see the Carey or the Biles 2 though(the best place for Simone is in TF). If Carey tries(a la Silivas in 88) in TQ and it doesn’t go great, she will probably be 2-pered

Last edited:
Jade shouldn’t risk it in quals. It could take her out of floor finals. Then she can’t do it in finals, cause that could take her off the podium. Unless she’s already medaled on vault, she shouldn’t do it. I would love for her to get it named after her, though.

Hmm… Maybe she’ll have to go to worlds to do it.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back