WAG/MAG Podium Training Notes/ Quick Hits/ Reports (Wed. July 21- Thurs. July 22)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Based on today, no. VT is out, UB all but out unless Biles falls and Chiles somehow gets top 8. BB I think she gets trumped by one of Lee or McCallum, and on FX one of Carey or Lee. I would’ve rated her chances on FX better coming in, and I guess I’ll hold to that, although Jade’s upgrades make it more difficult.

As for AA, Lee comes in with a 1.5 buffer on D-score, and her E-scores with hit sets will be good. Vault is obviously the major concern, but if she just survives that and nails bars, it will be very difficult for Chiles to get ahead. I don’t think Chiles would’ve had much, if any, advantage on beam today, even with one of Lee’s worst sets.

Chiles making no individual finals has always been a realistic possibility, no? Could be that, could be AA, bars, floor and even beam depending on who has a good day, or anything in between. But if they were all to hit, she isn’t a clear top 2 on anything. They’ll totally use her on all 4 in TFs though.

Sounds like Canada didn’t have any trouble with their handspring vaults.

eta: Okay, so I thought they had no trouble from one report, but in another report they did.

Last edited:
I can’t get over Simone doing an Amanar, Cheng and YDP in one session all to such a high standard. Her vaulting is something else
I was somewhat worried about Simone after that 2d Day of trials. I am worried no more!!

I can’t get over Simone doing an Amanar, Cheng and YDP in one session all to such a high standard. Her vaulting is something else
I’ve been watching the videos back and holy shit what a masterclass that was.
Anyone else notice that Carey has started to “cheat” on the entrance to her Cheng like Shallon Olsen? She is now doing a quarter turn instead of a half turn on to the horse.
I noticed this and Do Not Like. Skinner is definitely looking stronger on VT imo.

I also wonder how/whether MyKayla AND Jade’s vault scores will be affected by having to go immediately after Simone doing the same two vaults. Because I know I was certainly like, “Bleh,” seeing that direct comparison.

Even before we knew who both +1 athletes were, my hope has always been that they can get individual medals. It’s certainly a weird position they are in to be at the Olympics but not on the team. It would be very nice for them to come back with some hardware, even if it isn’t the gold team medal they deserve. Sounds like that is really possible given PT.

I’d want to see how they score her in prelims first
My feeling with this is, unless something really dramatic happens, it’s worth doing even if it might lower the team total slightly. Just to give Sunisa as much protection and as few dismounts as possible ahead of the bars final.

The advantage of taking Grace is that she’s solid, viable cover everywhere. So use that and run with it. Take a holistic, whole championship approach. There may even be a case for her doing all 4 events in TFs on that basis.

So I just worked out my scores from PT. Unfortunately they didn’t show Jade’s beam. So I’ve assumed a 13.3 based on her Trials beam.

:AA:
  1. Simone 60.0
  2. Grace 56.9
  3. Jordan 56.6
  4. Suni 56.5
  5. Jade 56.4
  6. Skinner 55.5
:vt:
  1. Simone (15.6 + 15.5) = 15.55
    =2. Jade (15.3 + 14.8) = 15.05
    =2. Skinner (15.2 + 14.9) = 15.05
    =4. Jordan 14.7
    =4. Grace 14.7
  2. Suni 14.2
:ub:
  1. Suni 15.4
  2. Simone 14.8
  3. Jordan 14.4
  4. Grace 14.2
  5. Jade 13.7
  6. Skinner 13.3
🇧🇧
  1. Simone 14.7
  2. Grace 14.2
  3. Suni 13.7
    =4. Jordan 13.6
    =4. Skinner 13.6 (I gave a couple of connections which gave her a 6.6 D Score. No idea how strict the panel will be here).
Did not show Jade. Assuming 13.3.

:fx:
  1. Simone 14.9
  2. Jade 14.1
  3. Jordan 13.9
  4. Grace 13.8
  5. Skinner 13.4
  6. Suni 13.2 (big issue on the Double L - fixing this would bring her up 5 or 6 tenths - or in fact - removing it, as it’s only giving her a tenth)
PSA - these are my scores. Others may (wildly) differ.

Last edited:
My feeling with this is, unless something really dramatic happens, it’s worth doing even if it might lower the team total slightly. Just to give Sunisa as much protection and as few dismounts as possible ahead of the bars final.

The advantage of taking Grace is that she’s solid, viable cover everywhere. So use that and run with it. Take a holistic, whole championship approach. There may even be a case for her doing all 4 events in TFs on that basis.
That is pretty reasonable. Suni and Simone will likely be very busy in finals and it would be nice to give them a rest.

Based on today, IMO Suni would only be in the bars final. No other finals. And only used on bars and beam in TF - Grace would be pulled up in the line up for floor.

She had a mediocre day. And “mediocre” on the US team knocks you out of a lot of finals and TF line ups.

I had Simone making all 4 finals - with Skinner (VT), Suni (UB), Grace (AA, BB) and Jade (FX) joining her. Nothing for Jordan - but 3 events in TF (not beam)

For TF I have:

:vt: Grace, Jordan, Simone
:ub: Jordan, Simone, Suni
🇧🇧 Suni, Grace, Simone
:fx: Grace, Jordan, Simone

Last edited:
I would be pleased for Jade and Mykayla each making a final. Ooh, and Grace making a final! The only real downside is that it would suddenly make Tom look like a genius 😏

Can’t wait to see how prelims go and what FIG says. Some unknowns need answering, particularly Chiles BB/FX and Skinner pretty much everywhere.

Skinner aside, 2 USAG judges said Chiles’s night 2 beam at Trials was a 14, and her final score was a 13.900. I can’t access the sheet right now to see what everybody did specifically but I thought that one was a good half point or more too high.

Last edited:
The only real downside is that it would suddenly make Tom look like a genius 😏
Well . . . .I think virtually everyone will be able to infer dumb luck (on his part that is) . . . .

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back