US Olympic Team Trials - June 24-27, 2021

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Was planning to go last year, splurged for decent tickets. But I have since had to cancel because, well COVID-19, and I have a four month old now. Hopefully 2024 I’ll get to go!

And Jade plans to take her individual spot….

ETA; The pressure she is under must be unbelievable, so kudos to her for holding her own. I’d say she [Jade} knows if Suni stays on form with Jordan, that she won’t get that 4th spot. At least she’s made a comment on it. And hopefully people will lay off a bit. I’m still disgusted at the Nancy Armour article.

View attachment 1085

Last edited:
And Jade plans to take her individual spot.

Hmm… I’ll still believe it when it happens

Going to the Games as an individual and winning a medal would be contributing to Team USA because it adds to the overall medal count.

No, the language of the post is vague and open to interpretation. She did not say I will be taking the individual spot. She said I have every intention to accept the individual spot, but you could add on to that sentence unless I place 2nd at trials. It is a post to get people off her back without actually having to stick to her words if for some reason she does make the main team.

I am dying to see Jade vault at Trials. She placed 4th at Nationals, and it’s not like she has a perfect track record when it comes to landing her big vaults.

I did not expect vault to be interesting, but if Jade isn’t vaulting well enough to look like a sure thing for the Olympic podium, it adds some fuel to Skinner’s case. On the other hand, if Chiles’ upgrade(s) materialize and she can maintain her E scores, that neutralizes Skinner.

Jade “stung” her ankle at classics and scaled back her difficulty at nationals. I wonder if she will be at full difficulty by trials. Maybe she should just pace herself to be at full strength by Tokyo and take it “easy.”

If she finishes second at trials, IMO she’s earned the right to be a part of the team and go for a near guaranteed gold medal- something every elite gymnast dreams of. Yes, she’s forfeiting a spot for the US but at the same time, someone else gets to go. The spot doesn’t just disappear. That said, I wouldn’t like to be in that back room after the comp- the atmosphere would be worse than Marta level tension.

The girl managed to beat the system if she places 2nd. I just hate to think of the abuse she’ll get if she makes top 2. It is unlikely but at the same time, she has no pressure- it’s a lot easier for her to hit and not worry about not making it to Tokyo. That’s a freedom no one but Simone really has.

If Jade were to place 2nd all around, she’d deserve the spot because a LOT would have to go wrong with everyone for that to happen. It won’t happen.

My real question is about Emma M. What do you all think she would need to do to make the team vs getting an alternate position? She doesn’t really fill the Suni vault and floor better than any of the other contenders, and even though she had one of the highest beam scores, she fell in day 1.

It really pisses me off to see the way that USAG has handled this situation. They try to make it sound like they’re “empowering” Jade by leaving the decision to her, but in reality they’re shrugging off any responsibility and scrutiny that might result from her decision. This shouldn’t be on Jade. Really poor leadership, though I can’t say I’m particularly surprised.

The vault field is a lot weaker now than other EFs, though. I don’t think Jade even needs an Amanar at this point to medal, not that she’s ever needed to land it well for silver before.

Last edited:
But had USAG made the decision for her they would have gotten back lash for making the decision for her and face potential law suit.

I do agree that USAG made a huge error by not stipulating that individual route means you are not able to compete for the main team spot.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back