US Classic to have WAG and MAG!

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

impression, having road tripped (carefully) across the country last month, is that COVID isn’t taken that seriously by the majority of people in much of the middle of the country, alas.
I’m in NY and no one is taking it seriously here either.

I insisted on a mask mandatory policy at my firm and most of our clients and some of my partners think I’m crazy.

I work in public health. 12% positivity rates, and no one who isn’t patient facing masks (and people who are patient facing take it off as soon as they’re in admin only spaces). It’s frustrating.

I’m guessing attendence had a lot more to do with pricing and poor advertising than COVID.

Last edited:
Ouch that’s a lot for the product. A lot full stop really. Couldn’t see myself paying that if I’d happened to be in Utah last weekend. Actually my worlds tickets were a fair bit cheaper, and that’s even in a competition that seems to be charging more than usual.

Agree the fees are particularly fucking annoying. You expect a bit, but there is a line. If they want to charge $100 for a seat then say so.

That is the bonkers thing, we paid less for worlds tickets, and USAG cannot work out why seats are empty.

For nationals, the cheapest one day ticket (200 level, corner) to a single day of both women’s events is $99+fees. Insane.

The irony of all of this is that if they keep ticket prices so high, and have such empty arenas, they’re actually losing money of what they might have gained if they charged half the price but had twice the spectators. Hopefully someone figures that out.

Mmm there does come a point when you’re pricing yourselves out of the market. USAG need to be careful.

Not to mention it will be hard to find an arena next year who will let them take a spot. A lot of the arena’s revenue is based on selling food and drink which relies on foot traffic. USAG will have given them an estimate and the arena will have reflected this into their pricing for the booking. Can you imagine all the food and beverage stalls, fully staffed, food and drinks ready to serve, but with no one in the lines. What a waste.

Last edited:
Is this the result of USAG having a lot less money/sponsors than a few years back?
Very likely. I looked at USAG’s tax forms (granted, on my phone so not the easiest) and 2015 looks like $5 million from events, while 2019 was $2.5 million.

Today I was watching the Diamond League athletics competition in Silesia POL, where there were several world champions from the recent IAAF championships in Eugene, USA. Cost of the ticktets - 0,00 złoty!

Laurie really was so much better in every way, both technically better and more likeable.
She really was. At the very start of the Classic she was a little too “emoji” smiley, but she turned professional very quickly. Her commentary was informed, informing and somehow well geared for a range of gymnastics sophistication. And yes, she was likeable. Overall great job and none of those crazy outfits Nastia enjoys wearing. Would love to see Laurie replace N.

Laurie & Nastia could be a really fun combo. Laurie was great, she hit technical points without sounding robotic and boring. And she seemed like she really enjoyed commentating - and enjoys watching gymnastics in general.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back