Russia-Ukraine War: Effects on Gymn World

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I though the question was, are sanctions inappropriate?

Last edited:
gotcha (I’m trying to be done with this all and move to compulsively posting qualif vids from doha)

Last edited:
That’s what was decided on the talks today, i think just hours ago (37 min ago in cnn)

Last edited:
Same.

In gymnastics at least, I think Russia’s team Olympic qualification is at threat. As well as the UK having recently removed visas from the Belarus basketball team because of the situation in Ukraine, apparently the European Championships organisers are going to decide later this month. That’s in Munich. I am not sure how their decisions work wrt international federations, as it’s a multi sport championship. But it may be moot anyway because does anyone see Germany letting Russian and Belarussian sports teams enter the country at this point?

It does make sense - once I really thought about it. 😄 There’s loads of paranoia in my home province about “foreign funded environmentalists” - but they play it up so hard for political gain so I’ve always dismissed that sort of thing with a grain of salt and didnt give it much serious thought.

Last edited:
The main thing to remember is that while the Russian state has fingers in a lot of pies, some of the most significant has been right wing populism. That’s certainly how it is in the UK. Tory Brexiters have a lot more power than anti-frackers. Thus, by remarkable coincidence, one of the biggest Russian banks has just been given a 30 day grace period to wind down transactions before the asset freeze begins. There will, of course, be fuck all left to freeze by the end of the month. Because one good turn deserves another.

Reactions: L_R
Trump praised him less than a week ago. For a long time he and Putin went hand in hand but I’m seeing signs that a good portion of the GOP doesn’t feel that way now. The cynical side of me notes that happened when the money got cut off.

On a better note we get only 3% of our crude oil from Russia.

Trump only sided with Putin until he realised the World preferred Zelensky.

Putin also helped Trump win the 2016 election. We know for a fact there was Russian influence in 2016.

US Senator Lindsey Graham has called for the assassination of Putin!

Imagine the outcry in reverse…

I live right outside D.C. and the suburb I’m in is basically data center central and processes 80% of the world’s Internet.

So it’s been nice knowing you all.

Last edited:
I mean, Putin has basically threatened to nuke anyone who crosses his line. I think many of us in the west feel he is threatening similar to whole societies.

It was likely an unwise statement from Graham for various reasons related to international diplomacy, though.

I rewrote the above so many times to try not to appear to be saying something I am not saying that I will just leave it at that.

Last edited:
What, if Lindsay Graham was in charge of an invasion that was shelling nuclear power plants? I’m not sure there’d be as much opposition to the idea of offing him as you seem to think.

According to The Times in the UK, Zelenskiy has survived 3 assassination attempts this week.

I mean if random member of the Duma said Biden should be assassinated!

I’m not in favour of offing anyone really

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back