Russia-Ukraine War: Effects on Gymn World

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I cannot.

Last edited:
We’ve been there already. Plenty of people called for Obama to be assassinated. (Speaking of which, and on a lighter note, there are are tons of direct reports of assassination of Lindsey Graham’s ass, particularly by men he hired to do the hit.)

I actually think that Putin and friends banning all of these social media will backfire. The Russian people are fearfully complicit, but not stupid, and hiding the truth isn’t going to stop most of them from hearing it. At some point, they are going to have had enough of that. It’s not like China, where they never had these tools to begin with and never had a habit of getting information from uncensored sources.

Glad to hear. I was concerned because you have been characteristically frank even on this topic, and, while Gymnaverse probably is not on the radar of the Russian government, LOL, stranger things have happened with the use of bots and such.

Thank you Denn. I am unsure if being dual national is an advantage or disadvantage at the moment.
The British government today advised that UK Nationals should leave Russia. However my inclination is to stay, as I would not leave London for Moscow if the British government were bombing Ireland.

And not just him. His federation officials and coaches permitted this.

Using a competition and medal stand to promote warmongering is a really great way to prove that “politics” and sport are not separate, and that you don’t deserve to be there.

It’s not a false equivalent at all. Russia and Ukraine’s relationship has many similarities with Britain and Ireland’s, plus I am both British and Russian so on a personal level, it’s a relevant comparison.

Apparently this stemmed from the Ukrainian delegation trying to get the Russians banned from competing. The Russian athletes were very upset and angry. An agreement was reached that no Russian flag or symbol would be shown. That’s what he decided to cover the logo on his leotard with.

That is… exactly what I have a problem with.

It’s not a false equivalent at all.
You think there is equivalence between Putin’s justification for war in Ukraine and what the British Govt did against the IRA?

How many civilians did the British Govt intentionally kill in Ireland?

Last edited:
No. Read what I said- “if Britain was bombing Ireland”, ie if Britain were doing what Russia is doing, then I (citizen of both countries) would not leave London and go to Moscow.

Sometimes I think you just see exactly what you have already made up your mind about.

So, you meant absolutely no comparison between this war in Ukraine and the Troubles?

If not, it was a … curious example to use.

Why not England and Wales? Or England and Scotland? Or the UK and France.

Last edited:
Because the relationship between Russia and Ukraine is most similar to that of Britain and Ireland…

After reading my post again, I really don’t see how it could be interpreted as anything other than hypothetical.

Last edited:
So, you meant absolutely no comparison between this war in Ukraine and the Troubles?
I’ll ask again:

Of course I didn’t. Why would I? As I said, there was nothing in my original post that could be reasonably interpreted as anything other than hypothetical. Perhaps you just saw what you wanted to see.

I am no expert in history or politics, but given that my 4 grandparents are from the 4 countries I have just mentioned, I do have a degree of awareness of their histories.

I had assumed you wouldn’t have been so naive to use Britain/Ireland in this context without at least an implicit reference to the Troubles.

But I’ll take you at your word.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back