Russia-Ukraine War: Effects on Gymn World

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I mean, Putin has basically threatened to nuke anyone who crosses his line. I think many of us in the west feel he is threatening similar to whole societies.

It was likely an unwise statement from Graham for various reasons related to international diplomacy, though.

I rewrote the above so many times to try not to appear to be saying something I am not saying that I will just leave it at that.
Well, it was an insane thing for Graham to have said this publicly, but it is clearly what many people, including those in a position to effect it, are thinking privately. It may well be the way this thing ends.

Finally, FIG took a stand.

Is this the first time in gymnastics a federation has been banned for the actions of their governments? (excluding doping and age falsification, anyway)

Well, it was an insane thing for Graham to have said this publicly, but it is clearly what many people, including those in a position to effect it, are thinking privately. It may well be the way this thing ends.
Given the abhorrent mess of governance in Russia, it seems to be the only way to remove the President.

No one else is able to come up with an alternative way of stopping him.

Last edited:
Given the abhorrent mess of governance in Russia, it seems to be the only way to remove the President.

No one else is able to come up with an alternative way of stopping him
Right. But that doesn’t mean it is in any way reasonable for an American Senator to blurt it out publicly. It’s pretty obvious people in a position to effect this are working on it. It’s called covert operations. Graham is a jerk

Very bad news here that the BBC has been banned. In response, the BBC has issued information of how to circumvent the ban using psiphon.

I read that Twitter was also blocked/banned.

Where are the enforcers going to put the huge numbers of protestors and people who do social media and work around the bans? Maybe there are already camps set up to hold dissidents? Because there a lot of people here suggesting work-arounds. I’m sure there are people there who figured it out. You can’t suppress information totally.

ETA:
Just saw reported that Bloomberg and CNN are leaving Russia.

Last edited:
I have a Russian friend who was at a protest and got arrested. Was in the back of a van for several hours. Then fingerprinted and had a court hearing. Luckily no jail time. But just insane insane insane.

Russia’s reputation amongst the global community has been trashed. I can’t see anyone who’s currently in adulthood will ever view Russia the same way again.

Last edited:
TikTok isn’t banned in Russia yet. Maybe the government thinks it still a cute little dance app? Lots of reports on TikTok about what is happening in Ukraine including real casualty numbers not Putin’s sanitized versions. Russian ex-pats are all over the app and extending help to Russians fleeing Russia. Rumor there is not only martial law will be imposed but a conscript/draft all men 18-60. Gymnasts fit into that category but maybe they’ll be exempt.

Just saw video from SkyNews reporters in Ukraine that were shot at by Russians.

Last edited:
Reactions: alc
I was reading twitter and am confused. Does this mean Russia will not be able to qualify as a team for the olympics.

Depends how long this goes on for.

They need to compete at Euros (August) to compete at 2022 worlds. Even if they are not banned GER/UK may not grant them visas. Unlike last quad, missing Liverpool does not eliminate them from 2023 worlds as per Pamchenkova.

Last edited:
It’s only a matter of time until Gymnaverse is blocked. No one can top our sleuthing and regime toppling power. Twitter and Facebook don’t come close.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back