Russia-Ukraine War: Effects on Gymn World

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Some are speculating that the drugs found on Brittney Griner were planted, and she’s being held as a war hostage.

Screenshot_20220305-210857

Last edited:
While other teams have allowed people to display Ukrainian flags at hockey games, the Washington Capitals have banned all flags at Capital One Arena/Verizon Center/Whatever TF it’s called now. This is most likely to appease Alexander Ovechkin who is the star player and very pro-Putin.

Except this is old news and that woman was pardoned and released more than 2 years ago. Brittany Griner is a totally different person.

Last edited:
The Twitter poster was making a comparison between the two cases. Both women, she suspects, were setup.

Thank you @JaJa and @Memphisgym it is kind of you, and others too.

It is difficult to describe what it’s like here right now. In many ways, it continues as normal, in other ways, it’s totally chaotic. I’d say that the main talking points are
  1. How devastated everyone is at what is happening. Mainly because of how close our cultural and historical bond with Ukraine is. It is much more so than with any other former Soviet state. Most Russians would love Ukraine to join us, because so many of us have family links there (my grandfather was born in Lyiv, for instance). Everyone is saying “not like this” in response to taking Ukraine by force.
  2. There is a lot of support for the army, which is not support for Putin or his actions. That’s what the social media “Z” movement is about, or at least started off as anyway. Due to conscription, every young person in Russia has someone they know who is currently serving. Add to that all the worried parents and grandparents too.
  3. The disruption of everyday life and anger over sanctions. In many ways we have been put back to the Stone Age. Everything cash now and cannot order anything online. I was one of the fortunate ones, with a foreign issued credit card that still worked. But now visa and Mastercard are putting an end to that too. There is a lot of frustration “don’t they (the west) understand this won’t work”. Unfortunately this is shoring up reluctant support for Putin, as it feeds his narrative of the west punishing and sabotaging Russia. People desperately want some sort of engagement or encouragement from the west, reassuring us that they know it’s our government and not us.
On a lighter note, in a very, very Russian response to a crisis, the price of cigarettes and alcohol have been dropped despite everything else increasing in price.

Mary Clare, you said sanctions don’t work. I disagree, but I want to hear you out. The U.S. says that direct engagement would lead to nuclear war. So what options do you see to stop him? What do you think would work?

I don’t know what would work, I don’t have the answers. But backing Putin into a corner is extremely dangerous for everyone short term. Punishing the Russian people however means that any regime change will be antagonistic towards the west.

I found this thread on twitter which is very good, and explains it far better than I can.

I think culturally Russians are conditioned to appease their government and leaders. It is all you know. That’s why you say sanctions won’t work. It’s part of the propaganda you are fed. I’m sorry you go through this but it isn’t like you haven’t been lied to all your lives that the West hates you. That’s another tool of your government to control you.

It’s very easy to say why X won’t work or why X is a bad thing. But those criticisms are, in my opinion, without merit unless an alternative plan for what to do is put forward.

Unless they propose to simply do nothing.

Last edited:
It’s part of the propaganda you are fed.
I guess this gymnast probably thinks the “Z” movement is some humanitarian savior movement, like the Red Cross or something. If only they saw what their soldiers are actually doing, the innocent civilians they’re trapping and murdering, the war crimes they are committing.

@JaJa Yes. That Griner has far more credibility than the Russian government. I’m betting on Griner’s credibility over Putin’s every time.

I guess this gymnast probably thinks the “Z” movement is some humanitarian savior movement, like the Red Cross or something.
I think you are right. I’ve seen some of the edited videos Russians are fed by their government. It’s sad.

Reactions: L_R

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back