Russia-Ukraine War: Effects on Gymn World

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I’m almost impressed by the way Rodionenko manages the worst of both worlds here. She could’ve said she didn’t realise what he’d done but that she’s against him breaking the rules. That would make her look like she doesn’t support her athletes being fuckwits. Or she could’ve said she knew all about it and was in full support, which would give the impression of being in control. Instead she goes for option three, not being sufficiently involved and respected to have any idea what was going on but also unbothered about members of her delegation doing things that are liable to get them disqualified.

That might have been true in the Soviet era, but not now. Many of us have parents or partners from other countries, or have worked/studied abroad. International travel is far more common and affordable and every year the number of people with passports has increased. Also in the internet era, it’s very easy to come across alternative view points without even actively looking for them.

ary Clare, you said sanctions don’t work. I disagree, but I want to hear you out. The U.S. says that direct engagement would lead to nuclear war. So what options do you see to stop him? What do you think would work?
Economic sanctions would work if we sanctioned Russia’s oil and gas industries. As long as we refuse to do that Putin’s got his cash cow and can continue. I am deeply disappointed inBiden and the entire West. It’s getting to the point where we have Ukrainian blood on our hands.

MaryClare maybe it’s time to acknowledge that Ukrainians don’t share this sentiment?
And that’s putting it mildly. I actually know quite a lot about the former Soviet Union countries. The anti Russian sentiment in Ukraine has been over the top since 2014. Of course that does not include the breakaway regions in Eastern Ukraine, because those regions are majority ethnic Russian and Russian speaking.

No where have I said, or even suggested that Ukrainians want to me part of Russia. Even in east Ukraine, people want to remain independent, they just want to be allied to Moscow, like Belarus. And not to Western Europe.

I’m not sure why it’s necessary that I clarify this, but for the sake of clarity I have done so.

Russia. Even in east Ukraine, people want to remain independent, they just want to be allied to Moscow, like Belarus
I think that’s mostly about economics though. They identify with Russia, not Ukraine.

Nope. No one wants to be allied to Moscow in Belarus, except of Lukashenko.

And I know what I am talking about. I grew up in a communist country, not Sovet Union but puppet Moscow regime (today my home country is one of Visegrad Four). I assure you, no one wants to be under Russian influence again, ever.

Be careful MC. Maybe this isn’t true but it has been reported with video and photo. Police are stopping people in Russia and checking their phones randomly for material and messages that go against the government.

Last edited:
When I said Belarus, I meant as an example of the regime’s closeness to Moscow whilst retaining its independence, not that the people are happy with the regime.

I think I knew that was what you meant. But thank you for clarifying!!

But Belarus is not independent, not really. They do whatever Moscow tells them. Lukashenko is just Putin’s puppet, nothing else.
As I said, I have first-hand experience with this kind of ‘independence’.
Not something I would want to experience again, or my kids to grow up in.

Not sure if they are break away regions. Its where Putin brought Russians to settle in Ukraine and call it Russian

No it isn’t. It’s been a Russian majority area for centuries as it’s historically and culturally Russian and predominantly Orthodox Church. Western Ukraine is very different and has more of a shared history and culture with Poland, which it used to be a part of and like Poland is mostly Catholic. If you look at a pre WW1 map of central and Eastern Europe, the Dnieper river forms the border between Russia and Poland. Today it forms the political and cultural divide in Ukraine.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back