Marta Karolyi interview

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I’m no legal expert, however, I would imagine that since this interview was given, written and published in Hungarian might make it a bit more difficult to utilize as a piece of evidence in an anglophone context. Translation is a tricky thing and there can be arguments about idioms and nuances in Hungarian that might make anything said in this interview difficult to concretize in an English language context.

On another note, its so nice to read some rational discussion on this article, having originally read it on reddit…

Last edited:
’m no legal expert, however, I would imagine that since this interview was given, written and published in Hungarian might make it a bit more difficult to utilize as a piece of evidence in an anglophone context.
Its done all the time in U.S. courts. Its a very straight forward process for introducing a document in a foreign language into evidence. Basically, you get someone with good qualifications as a translator to do the translation. You have to submit both the foreign language document along with the translation and an affidavit from the translator listing his or her qualifications and certifying that the translation is accurate.

Its done all the time in U.S. courts. Its a very straight forward process for introducing a document in a foreign language into evidence. Basically, you get someone with good qualifications as a translator to do the translation. You have to submit both the foreign language document along with the translation and an affidavit from the translator listing his or her qualifications and certifying that the translation is accurate.
Fun fact: i am certified to do this from English into Spanish and the other way around, I’ve only ever done criminal records and things of the sort.

I’m just telling you all cause I’m lying in bed with a hard cold and i just can’t anymore

I used to do patent law, did it for some years too, but i haven’t for a while now, cause it was my side gig and the main gig (music) started getting better

Wow. Never heard of a patent lawyer saying his or her law job was a side gig.

Anyway, there could of course be hearsay issues with that interview. But Evidence Class is over for the day.

I’m just telling you all cause I’m lying in bed with a hard cold and i just can’t anymore
you sound like one of those people who make the rest of us wonder what on earth we have been doing with our time!!!

There are also reports of the way they treated the girls in Romania that, if they are true, are really way out of line and horrid in pretty much any context except war. So i struggle seeing her as purely just a product of her time.
No one on the Twitter “burn it all down” bandwagon is primarily concerned with how she treated Romanian athletes in the 1970s. Let’s be clear.

Last edited:
1036_2.png
onodian:
purely just a product of her time.
No one on the Twitter “burn it all down” bandwagon is primarily concerned with how she treated Romanian athletes in the 1970s. Let’s be clear
Thankfully I’m not on twitter, so just speaking about what you say.

And it was translation work. Weren’t you a lawyer?

Wow. Never heard of a patent lawyer saying his or her law job was a side gig.
No no no no translation! Mind you that was hard enough as it was, but it helped that i have several friends and a family member who are specialized in fields of patent/copyright law.

No no no no translation! Mind you that was hard enough as it was, but it helped that i have several friends and a family member who are specialized in fields of patent/copyright law.
Got it. Thanks for the clarification. As I said, hard to contemplate a patent lawyer seeing that as a “side gig.” And yes, agreed, the translation stuff is hard enough. (Says the lawyer who barely speaks English 😃 )

Can you blame a 74 year old Romanian woman for not keeping up with modern takes on culture and being “athlete centered” etc. Society evolves and gets better over time. She was of a different age.
I mean, I would agree that it’s hard to blame someone for not being ahead of their time. However, when you’re 1) a professional, 2) at the top of your field, and 3) working with minors, hell yeah it’s reasonable to expect someone to at least effing keep up. That line of argument reminds me a bit of MLT’s interview on Gymcastic, where she kept arguing that her coaching practices were what she learned as a gymnast. Lady, you’re among the top of your field. Have some standards for yourself!

Last edited:
Things were very different in 2014 compared to 2018/19. Society moved a lot forward and very quickly in that time period.

Oooh what’s your language then? I don’t know why, but i think of most everybody here as UK or US by default
English.

I am American. Live in NY

It was just a bit of self deprecating humor.

That’s a fair point … but there are still areas where she was clearly behind the ball. Food/nutrition/weight stands out for one. Overtraining/training on injuries is another. I think we’ve seen some sea changes lately but Martha’s practices were pretty clearly behind the times well before those, IMO.

It’s difficult to look back at 2014 with 2021 eyes. Gay people pretty much couldn’t get married anywhere in the world. There was no MeToo. No BLM. No one knew who LN was or what he was doing.

It was a different world.

I hear your point re: food/diet. Otherwise, those other problems still all existed under the radar. No one would have been celebrated for pulling out of team finals for their mental health. Mattie Larson was still in the dustbin.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back