Injuries, sickness and stuff…

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

There’s pictures of all 10 girls warming up on the same floor exercise mat like 5 days ago.

No masks. Heavy breathing. Same diagonals.

I would be shocked if there weren’t more
Positive tests in the next 5 days.
I would agree except that this virus is really weird. I know married couples where one partner had it for days before knowing it and lived with, slept with, shared bathrooms with etc etc their spouse who never got it.

Absolutely. It wasn’t just social distancing and masks though, there were so many safety protocols.

It was also nice that teachers were provided anti bacterial wipes and hand sanitizer.

As a former classroom teacher I always had sanitizer I bought on my own. Every kid sanitized coming into my room, if they left the room they had to sanitize once they came in.

Hoping that in the future, wipes and sanitizers will be an automatic and necessary school supply just like pencils, books, and paper.

Also this is funny, but at one point we had more students and staff on quarantine at home than we had in person learning. We also had 40% of our students as full time virtual students so that helped with class size as well.

Last edited:
Just more uncertainty.

Simone has to defend her all-around title. She would only be the third WAG to do it. She needs it for her legacy.

If she must come down with covid, it needs to be after AA finals.

This is true. In the state where I worked, Massachusetts, we had strict protocols in the public schools that kept cases low, and in the district where I worked we had no in building spread. Sports are harder, and the one sport that had an issue was hockey, which may have been in part because masked were required nearly all the time during high school sports in Massachusetts except for narrow exceptions (swimmers/divers while in the pool for obvious reasons and X-country could say pull the mask down if more than 6 feet from other runners.) Obviously, that’s not the same as an event where everyone lives there, but I would think committing to proper masking, efforts at more distancing, and experimenting with opening windows and air purifiers would be a decent start.
I saw a study, and I can’t remember if it came out of Canada or Minnesota, that said ice rinks are a perfect place to catch Covid. The the air in trapped because of the boards and glass, and it sinks down to ice level because of the temperature difference. So a big concentration of covid particles are just hanging out a few inches above the ice. And kids fall down and take a huge gulp of air when they hit the ice. Recipe for disaster.

The study convinced me not to play hockey since all this started, nor have I let my kid take skating lessons (which he desperately wants to do).

And its not just for Simone’s legacy. Its for the legitimacy of the Games. What would it mean to win an AA title in WAG if Simon were out of the competition? Nothing. Just that you were actually #2, but #1 could not compete.

I want Simone to compete as much as anyone, but this is a pretty reductive take. The other gymnasts are good lol

Hope Tom feels like a big dumb for not naming Jones now. Malabuyo is way too close to being an Olympian

I want Simone to compete as much as anyone, but this is a pretty reductive take. The other gymnasts are good lol
No not really
That’s like if, during his peak, Michael Phelps wasn’t able to compete due to Covid. Even the person who won would admit, the likelihood of beating Phelps was small.
Or if the top 10 qualifying women all tested positive and couldn’t compete, would you really consider the AA winner a true winner?

No not really
That’s like if, during his peak, Michael Phelps wasn’t able to compete due to Covid. Even the person who won would admit, the likelihood of beating Phelps was small.
Or if the top 10 qualifying women all tested positive and couldn’t compete, would you really consider the AA winner a true winner?
exactly (not ten characters)

40.png
lovegymnasts:
No not really
exactly (not ten characters)
You mean like the 1984 Olympics?

Right as well as teens deciding to have parties and all of the other places teens go outside of school. But I worked in a high school, so the kids not transmitting and catching part doesn’t apply since teenagers can catch and transmit at rates comparable or higher than adults. So mainly it was the very high level of compliance with mitigation procedures along with symptom checking, state required testing for out of state travel during the winter surge, and free testing for all state residents, which likely kept some Covid out of the building entirely.

No I was talking WAG where the East european boycott meant that the top WAG gymnasts were missing - Mostepanova, Illienko, Yurchenko, Gnauck … and allowed MLR to win

Last edited:
No I was talking WAG where the East european boycott meant that the top WAG gymnasts were missing - Mostepanova, Illienko, Yurchenko, Gnauck … and allowed MLR to win
Ahhhhh
I started watching in ‘88
But you still remember it and there is a taint on her win

I had this exact situation. Ive run 24 half marathons and i struggle with a mile now. I had the vaccine but I also had Covid right around the same time. It’s frustrating for sure.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back