Injuries, sickness and stuff…

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Meaningless is a bit strong. Everyone including MyKayla should be practicing every precaution (and you’d think she would be the advocate having had a shit time herself) but it is true that she has a lower risk than her teammates.

I’m so sorry for Kara. She seems like such a nice kid. To have this be the thing that circles the globe - and all the “OMG thank goodness it was just her!” sorts of comments that will come along with it - just absolutely sucks.

Meaningless is a bit strong. Everyone including MyKayla should be practicing every precaution (and you’d think she would be the advocate having had a shit time herself) but it is true that she has a lower risk than her teammates.
Absolutely inaccurate. Especially given the Delta variant (which is what Eaker has), Skinner is not at lower risk than anyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: L_R
There’s also the fact that, excepting properly fitted medical grade masks, you don’t wear a mask to protect yourself. You wear it to protect the people around you; they wear their masks to protect you. Once again: Public health means protecting each other by our own actions.

There’s also the fact that, excepting properly fitted medical grade masks, you don’t wear a mask to protect yourself.
True to some degree. But there are very high quality masks that are not medical grade that do offer varying levels of protection to the person wearing them.

Last edited:
Absolutely inaccurate. Especially given the Delta variant (which is what Eaker has), Skinner is not at lower risk than anyone.
I do not think thats true. I think that even with the Delta variant previously infected people have a higher level of protection. Just like with the vaccines. It may not be as high a protection as with the wildtype or earlier variants. But it is still enhanced protection. You are still talking about an ab response.

Last edited:
I just took one of the new antibody tests.

It showed I have vaccine antibodies but no recent COVID antibodies.

She told me I could still have had COVID but probably not in the last 4-6 months.

They’re $38 in CVS if anyone is interested.

I don’t see where anyone has shared that Eaker has Delta?

But it is true that prior infection plus vaccine is the best-case scenario. Reinfection has happened, but it is rare. It is just as true that MS is more protected than her vaccinated teammates as it is that Leanne is less protected. Following the rules should be black and white, but we don’t have to justify that by pretending that everyone’s immunity status is the same. It is enough that no one’s risk is 0, and this is a huge population mixing event, so put your damn mask over your nose.

So if the false positive story is correct, the alternates were definitely training with the competing gymnasts yesterday. Although it does look as if they made some attempt to keep them separate, at least in the line up.

This is really fucking scary. I can’t imagine there won’t be more positive tests on the team. I cannot believe they made them all train together.

There are people saying it’s delta. Suspect that’s probably guesswork based on Kara being vaccinated and it being so transmissible.

This is true. In the state where I worked, Massachusetts, we had strict protocols in the public schools that kept cases low, and in the district where I worked we had no in building spread. Sports are harder, and the one sport that had an issue was hockey, which may have been in part because masked were required nearly all the time during high school sports in Massachusetts except for narrow exceptions (swimmers/divers while in the pool for obvious reasons and X-country could say pull the mask down if more than 6 feet from other runners.) Obviously, that’s not the same as an event where everyone lives there, but I would think committing to proper masking, efforts at more distancing, and experimenting with opening windows and air purifiers would be a decent start.

This is true. In the state where I worked, Massachusetts, we had strict protocols in the public schools that kept cases low, and in the district where I worked we had no in building spread. Sports are harder, and the one sport that had an issue was hockey, which may have been in part because masked were required nearly all the time during high school sports in Massachusetts except for narrow exceptions (swimmers/divers while in the pool for obvious reasons and X-country could say pull the mask down if more than 6 feet from other runners.) Obviously, that’s not the same as an event where everyone lives there, but I would think committing to proper masking, efforts at more distancing, and experimenting with opening windows and air purifiers would be a decent start.
Its very interesting how cases and transmission was low across the board in schools. I think it was due to high level of compliance with masks and social distancing in the classroom plus kids just do not contract and transmit at the high levels older folks do. The problems seemed to arise with Hs kids at sporting events and after school socializing.

There’s pictures of all 10 girls warming up on the same floor exercise mat like 5 days ago.

No masks. Heavy breathing. Same diagonals.

I would be shocked if there weren’t more
Positive tests in the next 5 days.

Ha rich just pointed out that Shilese might get her shot on the team after all!

I wonder if there are any contingency plans for non-travelling alternates?

Where’s riley?!

Also, as soon as there was a positive student or staff that classroom teacher, all of the students, and any support staff members were quarantined at home for 2 weeks.
If a student tested positive with family members at that school those students had to stay home too.

We had three outbreaks but were luckily contained. 3 separate classrooms had 3 students test positive. All 3 classroom teachers ended up catching Covid from the positive student and 4, 7, and 9 students caught Covid from the classroom. Those are the ones that we knew about, there were likely more positive student cases, they just didn’t get tested for Covid.

In addition, any cold symptoms at all and the student was mandated to get a Covid test before returning to school. If a parent called to say their kid had a fever and was staying home, the child could not return unless negative Covid test. One parent said they had no transportation to get a Covid test, so the child stayed home for two weeks then returned to school after the quarantine session was up.

The hybrid model was also essential as the highest class number during hybrid was 11 (average was 6 students in a class) so students were separated well in classrooms.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back