Our Commentary on the Commentary!

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I teach Spanish, and when I teach that verb in the upper levels, all the native speakers make the most puzzled faces at me haha
But Colombian people also say coger like we do, i think it's Mexican and central American Spanish that uses it as fuck

This is definitely a consideration for all parents who have a mixed language background or a different language to the community their child will grow up in. My parents wanted names that worked in English, Russian and Italian. My husband likes a lot of traditional Slavic names, but we would be giving our children a lifetime of having to spell out their names
I say this to all parents. Think of easily pronounceable names. Specially if they are bound to be in international settings

You're talking straight to my childhood. Loved Sister, Sister, Doug, Pete and Pete, Rugrats, All That, Sabrina, Kenan & Kel, etc.

I have the theme song to Pete & Pete mixed into a bunch of different playlists on Spotify, it’s literally playing in my kitchen right now as I’m reading this lol.

When I lived in Japan, I met a few people that told me their parents gave them Japanese names that had similar Anglo versions (Anna, Naomi, Karen, etc.) because they wanted their children to have easier names for Westerners to pronounce. Which, honestly, Japanese names are easy as hell to pronounce. They're pretty straightforward.
I love Chiaki-Jackie

I say this to all parents. Think of easily pronounceable names. Specially if they are bound to be in international settings
My friend ended up with Eunice as a middle name because it sounds really pretty in Spanish. Not so much in English which is what everyone defaults to reading it as, being the USA.

I'm a geriatric millennial and while I've heard of most of the shows mentioned, we were too poor for cable so if it wasn't on free tv, we did not see it unless we caught an episode at a friend's house. I think I saw maybe 10 music videos in their original run. :cool:

Did anyone see this in today's NY Times?

“You can always tell if a gymnast is nervous by the way her ankles shake while she is either walking or on her tippy toes,” Hernandez said.​

It was fascinating insight and the kind of details Hernandez has provided throughout NBC’s live gymnastics coverage. . . .
Hernandez continued her fine work on Saturday for the women’s vault competition. Following a vault from An Chang-ok of North Korea, Hernandez offered the following for viewers.

“If a gymnast looks like a letter L towards the end of it, that’s going to be a huge deduction,” she explained. “You want to look like a pencil or a straight line. Also, if the chest is parallel to the floor rather than being parallel or facing the vault table, then that’s another deduction.”

That’s excellent stuff.

Did anyone see this in today's NY Times?

“You can always tell if a gymnast is nervous by the way her ankles shake while she is either walking or on her tippy toes,” Hernandez said.​

It was fascinating insight and the kind of details Hernandez has provided throughout NBC’s live gymnastics coverage. . . .
Hernandez continued her fine work on Saturday for the women’s vault competition. Following a vault from An Chang-ok of North Korea, Hernandez offered the following for viewers.

“If a gymnast looks like a letter L towards the end of it, that’s going to be a huge deduction,” she explained. “You want to look like a pencil or a straight line. Also, if the chest is parallel to the floor rather than being parallel or facing the vault table, then that’s another deduction.”

That’s excellent stuff.
Ah yes. Explaining things a 10yo would probably know. So helpful Laurie.

In the UK 4 year fans know next to nothing - I've returned to work today after a week off to watch the gymnastics and I've had conversations like this:
'Weren't GB great on the horse thing'
'Well not as good as we could have been - we came 4th' (thinking they were on about Max)
No - we nearly won 2 medals - I don't mean the thing with the handles - I mean the thing where you run and dive then twist'

Yes - they have obviously seen Paseka in action at some point!

I felt like Laurie got a little better with time - less giggling and reacting, more descriptive of what was going on. Maybe with some time and experience she can improve, but she doesn’t have a veteran gymnast’s perspective on the competition. She was on the international scene for what, a year? That doesn’t give one a large perspective when commentating.

I felt like Laurie got a little better with time - less giggling and reacting, more descriptive of what was going on. Maybe with some time and experience she can improve, but she doesn’t have a veteran gymnast’s perspective on the competition. She was on the international scene for what, a year? That doesn’t give one a large perspective when commentating.
She seems to have zero knowledge or interest in the wider sport

Belgium is really pretty as is Paris. Paris is busy though and very crowded. Belgium depending on where you are is like the country here in the US
I've heard Charleroi is beautiful this time of year 😏

Come on. That's not fair.
I'm hoping she just wasn't given adequate time and guidance to prepare. She did say she was keeping it upbeat because she knows how hard the sport is so giving hard hitting commentary on the deductions was never on her agenda. Maybe, since she seems well liked by the masses, she will work on upping her game. I didn't mind her shaky ankles and vault block explanation just like I don't mind Tim Daggett getting to say "gymnastics 101..." once a meet/broadcast.

Laurie can get away with the sunshine and rainbows deductions are ghosts approach while USA is winning everything, but when they aren't and it really needs to be explained to the audience why..

Untitled.png

Last edited:
This is definitely a consideration for all parents who have a mixed language background or a different language to the community their child will grow up in. My parents wanted names that worked in English, Russian and Italian. My husband likes a lot of traditional Slavic names, but we would be giving our children a lifetime of having to spell out their names
My last name is Polish and not even a very scary one--no Z, Y or J. But it ends with "ski" so everyone is afraid of it.

Doing any business over the phone--calling the doctor's office, insurance company, etc--is a nightmare. "No, I said F, F as in fish!"

I'm hoping she just wasn't given adequate time and guidance to prepare. She did say she was keeping it upbeat because she knows how hard the sport is so giving hard hitting commentary on the deductions was never on her agenda. Maybe, since she seems well liked by the masses, she will work on upping her game. I didn't mind her shaky ankles and vault block explanation just like I don't mind Tim Daggett getting to say "gymnastics 101..." once a meet/broadcast.
I found the phrase "podium medal" worse than the shaky ankles bit.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back