Injuries, sickness and stuff…

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Are athletes required to be tested and required to disclose and withdraw for positive tests? I know they should, I’m just wondering what’s required.

I believe there was and IOC-China deal where the IOC will pay for doses to athletes/officials (and 2 additional doses per dose taken by an ‘Olympic person’ to the general vaccine program of the receiving country). Pfizer and Moderna also donated or offered to donate to athletes and officials in countries where sinovac wasn’t approved.

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1105338/ioc-tokyo-2020-china-vaccine-offer-nocs

https://olympics.com/ioc/news/ioc-w...r-the-olympic-and-paralympic-games-tokyo-2020

She couldn’t if she was positive but I think there’s wiggle room over if say, Jordan, did

Reactions: L_R
From my reading of the policy- there’s is room for “interpretation” of being allowed to compete following a +test. Personally I blame Khorkina and her voodoo doll FWIW.

Hypothetical scenario: Simone received a positive test after start of comp. In order to minimise her risk of spreading it to other athletes (in different countries- Team USA is presumably all out now but too late to sub in), they rotate on their own, do not mix with any other athletes, every apparatus is sanitised post event. Etc. There does seem to be an element of discretion incorporated into the policy. Kara and Leanne- sadly disposable. They always had a minimum chance of competing. I would bet Tom is saying all his Hail Marys that they can just get through to qualifications. Then too late to sub and “they’ll take every precaution to minimise spread”. All that said- I now think that the athletes staying away from the village will make them subject to more testing.

This is a nightmare. Every other time the alternates are like pariahs. They don’t get to go to hang with the varsity team. This time, the only time it’s actually important to keep them segregated… “I know, let’s have no masks, have going away parties, let’s hope for the best”. Ugh. Marta would have had the A Team isolated since trials in a plastic box- only allowed out onto the apparatus and straight back in the box.

The pics of them training today are all fully unmasked, MyKayla and Jordan smooching, everybody close together. I just don’t understand. I still worry about catching it and I’m not risking my Olympic dream. I would be in a full panic if one of my teammates had just tested positive. I genuinely don’t get it at all.

Whelp if Skinner, Biles, or Chiles catch it…that is a wrap folks:
Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 10.48.20 AM

Not taking it seriously at all. One day after a teammate was Covid positive. SMDH.

Neither do I. I don’t understand where their sense of self preservation has gone. I myself am still only really comfortable around my parents unmasked, even if I don’t mask everywhere anymore. Maybe it’s because I don’t know what it’s like to have close friends that I’m willing to take risks for? Or maybe it’s because I’ve never been a person who shows much physical affection? It’s so confusing to me.

Or after everything, the adults are just really afraid of saying no to the gymnasts, at least on the women’s side.

Last edited:
Same. I get people not taking that many precautions in everyday life and not being afraid of the virus because they don’t feel it’s a particular risk to them. But you don’t have to agree with the covid rules surrounding Olympic participation to understand that they could easily prevent you from competing!

The pics of them training today are all fully unmasked, MyKayla and Jordan smooching, everybody close together. I just don’t understand. I still worry about catching it and I’m not risking my Olympic dream. I would be in a full panic if one of my teammates had just tested positive. I genuinely don’t get it at all.
I do not understand it at all. But I do not blame the athletes themselves. I can see where being obsessed with the potential dangers and risks of covid would be somewhat paralyzing. But USAG, IOC, USOC??? They need to be making and strictly enforcing real safety standards. We have seen this lax behavior all along regarding covid. No masks, masks below noses, no social distancing, having our Olympians walk through airport terminals instead of making an effort to get the $$ for a charter. Then everyone is shocked when someone tests positive.

Last edited:
Exactly! It’s one thing to think you are low risk and not worry day to day, but even if you’re fully asymptomatic you would be out of competition! I just don’t understand.

And while I agree most of the scorn is due to the governing bodies, I am seriously shocked that Simone or Suni or MyKayla are willing to risk their Olympics over some cute pics that they could safely take in a week and a half.

just to play devil’s advocate, is there any chance that the pic was taken days ago but was just posted today? Either way, no one should be putting pics like that now

just to play devil’s advocate, is there any chance that the pic was taken days ago but was just posted today? Either way, no one should be putting pics like that now
Does it matter? Its not like no one was aware of the fact that there was a potential covid problem at the Games until Kara Eaker tested positive.

It kind of seems like they decided the Olympic gym team was a bubble but then forgot to close everyone else out of it.

This also seems weirdly intentional; they all have to know how people are going to respond and they are posting anyway. You’d think, given Kara’s situation, that they’d at least wait to post these pics to avoid the drama and the blame if things go south.

Except they are NOT a Bubble. They are staying in a hotel and therefore walking through a lobby. People are going into and out of their rooms to clean and serve food presumably. They walked through an airport terminal 4 days ago. There have been multiple points of potential infection for any of them. For pete sake follow some basic safety protocol. We did it in our elementary and High Schools schools with good result. But they can not figure it out with our Olympians???

They’re wearing the training leos from yesterday, which was the first time they wore that leo. So the picture can’t be older than one day.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back