Injuries, sickness and stuff…

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

they walked through airports en route to the Olympics. Honestly, it could have been contracted by anyone anywhere. Did anyone even bother making sure they were wearing high quality masks? because the masks i have seen with USAG imprinted are garbage. At all of the US meets masks are slipping down below everyone’s noses when they are worn at all.

I see no legal problem with enforcement.

This entire thing is going to get worse all day every day.

Not necessarily…I think the IOC would have had a problem with it as it would make it challenging for various countries, not really the US to be vaccinated.

First of all there could have been a serious effort on the part of the IOC to get athletes from countries with problems getting people vaccinated vaccinated. Second, this is a serious global pandemic. Its clear at this point that countries and regions with low vaccine rates are having surges and numbers are going up even where there IS a high percentage of vaccinated people. So you deal with that. You do not worry about being challenged on restrictions to unvaccinated athletes. This entire thing was avoidable and idiotic. If they could not do it right they should have simply cancelled the Games

Last edited:
I’d only support that if IOC or someone actually donated the vaccines- and made sure they went to the athletes.
Not all countries are equal when it comes to vaccine delivery.
ETA for clarity- not to rich countries. But a lot of places just plain can’t afford to waste vaccines on healthy young adults for sports purposes.

Last edited:
Once each federation confirmed their Olympic competitors, the IOC should have organized vaccination drives at their expense to ensure each athlete was vaccinated. Hell, NBC should have been tapped to help pay for it considering they have the IOC in their pocket.

Fine. That could clearly have been done. We have plenty of billionaires in the world who could have written what would be for them a relatively modest check and gotten it done. But even being vaccinated is no guarantee not with delta. So you make damned sure athletes are not running around with their masks slipping below their noses. USAG has been a total joke with regard to this whole thing.

I hate that any athlete has tested positive. But I love the irony that it’s a vaccinated athlete that has now knocked out an unvaccinated athlete of a potential alternate spot because they both have to quarantine as roommates. So let’s all stop making assumptions and smearing Wong. Covid is a risk they all knew about and took. MaKayla should be the least of your concerns. She not only has been vaccinated but also has the natural immunities from having had it. She’s least likely of any of them to get infected or to spread it.

But I love the irony that it’s a vaccinated athlete that has now knocked out an unvaccinated athlete of a potential alternate spot because they both have to quarantine as roommates
Are you speculating or was something posted?

There’s this from a sports journalist with USA today:

Last edited:
Risky behavior is risky behavior especially when you are putting your dreams and other people’s dreams in jeopardy

I felt the same way at nationals when so many in the audience took off their mask as soon as they sat down, including my sister and friend. Mine stayed on the entire time, all 4 days. Except the one time I ate.
Risky behavior includes:
Not wearing your mask correctly, not being vaccinated, participating in large group events where no one is wearing a a mask.
If I was in their position, I would be going overboard on trying to reduce my risk but that’s just me.

I hate that any athlete has tested positive. But I love the irony that it’s a vaccinated athlete that has now knocked out an unvaccinated athlete of a potential alternate spot because they both have to quarantine as roommates. So let’s all stop making assumptions and smearing Wong. Covid is a risk they all knew about and took. MaKayla should be the least of your concerns. She not only has been vaccinated but also has the natural immunities from having had it. She’s least likely of any of them to get infected or to spread it.
Meaningless. The NHL had a player get Covid twice, the second time after being vaccinated. You can still spread Covid after vaccination and infection.

I hope:
  1. Kara remains asymptomatic, recovers quickly, and doesn’t have any long term consequences
  2. No one else gets sick
  3. This serves as a wake-up call for everyone else that the vaccinations aren’t perfect, and the reason COVID is dangerous is because it is an incredibly infectious disease and precautions and restrictions are there for a reason
You don’t have to be careless or flout restrictions to get COVID–you can do everything right. But NPIs really do help when everyone sticks to them. But it takes everyone; public health is requires public cooperation.

Last edited:
This is the thing I don’t get. I can’t imagine working my whole life for an Olympic dream and risking it over something as small as not wearing a mask correctly. Obviously you can take all the precautions and still get sick, but they weren’t taking all the precautions and that’s wild to me.

Add to risky behavior, wearing low quality masks or masks that repeatedly slip below your nose. The masks USAG gives athletes to wear fall into this description.

I never wore the mask my school district gave to me because I knew it was crap. I’ve only worn ones that either my mom or I bought.

Last edited:
Meaningless. The NHL had a player get Covid twice, the second time after being vaccinated. You can still spread Covid after vaccination and infection.
well, its not exactly meaningless. Just not foolproof. People who have both been infected and were vaccinated with an rna vax are for sure less likely to contract and transmit. But its absolutely still possible. Especially with the Delta variant.

Last edited:
I never wore the mask my school district gave to me because I knew it was crap. I’ve only worn ones that either my mom or I bought.
Exactly. You have to look at what the construction of the mask is, how many layers, what the layers are made of, the pore size, and the fit. Many people walk around with masks which provide little or no real protection. I only wear n95s, KF94s or Sonovia or everbrand.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back