Our Commentary on the Commentary!

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

To post something on topic (forgive me if I’ve said this elsewhere)….I’ve been watching a lot of the French coverage (random sports) and their commentators make Matt Baker seem anti-British!

A close friend is from southern France (close to Nice) and she and her mother tell me to spend more time there as opposed to Paris.
I've never been out there. But where we were was pretty but busy and dirty. We were also there during the world cup (2019?) so there's that.
We have family in Belgium so we stayed with them.

To post something on topic (forgive me if I’ve said this elsewhere)….I’ve been watching a lot of the French coverage (random sports) and their commentators make Matt Baker seem anti-British!
I had to look him up because I was thinking he was that bald bespectacled guy they keep foisting upon us but that's Matt Lucas.

I'm actually a little surprised you guys had these shows on your side of the Atlantic. Your shows aired on PBS here before BBC America existed.

Well now you're going to have to furnish us with a word that means dick in Castilian Spanish but not Latin American, or I shall be even more disappointed than I was during the beam and high bar finals.
So for example, the other way around, we say pijo/pija to refer to a posh person, or a prepper I think you're say in the uk. Yet pija is dick in Argentina.

we say "coger" all the time (grab, take) but it's like "shag" in Mexico

So for example, the other way around, we say pijo/pija to refer to a posh person, or a prepper I think you're say in the uk. Yet pija is dick in Argentina.

we say "coger" all the time (grab, take) but it's like "shag" in Mexico
Thank you!

We definitely say posh in the UK. I understood 'prepper' as an American term for someone who has lots of supplies in their home in case of natural disaster.

We had Nickelodeon via Sky TV back in the day so I watched more American TV than CBBC progs. Add me to the Sister Sister fan club. Didn’t get on with Sabrina but when it came to the younger stuff I enjoyed Rugrats and a bit of Doug. My brother liked Pete and Pete.

Geriatric millennials unite!

Aaah yes right, I'm confusing it with some other term in my head

I was born in the US to French-Canadian parents. My name is very French. Almost no one says it correctly and I don’t mind. Kind of find it funny actually. However, when I was pregnant with my second child, I thought about naming him after my grandfather and changed my mind when I realized no one would say it correctly. I was fine with my name being mispronounced, but was not going to be OK with my son’s name being mispronounced.

I was born in the US to French-Canadian parents. My name is very French. Almost no one says it correctly and I don’t mind. Kind of find it funny actually. However, when I was pregnant with my second child, I thought about naming him after my grandfather and changed my mind when I realized no one would say it correctly. I was fine with my name being mispronounced, but was not going to be OK with my son’s name being mispronounced.
This is definitely a consideration for all parents who have a mixed language background or a different language to the community their child will grow up in. My parents wanted names that worked in English, Russian and Italian. My husband likes a lot of traditional Slavic names, but we would be giving our children a lifetime of having to spell out their names

Never thought this prog would get a shout out on here. Loved this growing up in the 90s.

One day arena security asked me if I spoke French. When I answered “un petit peu” they said they loved that and gave me the biggest smile for trying. Can’t remember if that was the same day I said I had a potato (pomme de terre) in my bag rather than an apple (pomme) at the second security check 🤦‍♀️
Yeah, it's like I can ask basic questions in French, but I was always afraid I wouldn't understand the answer I receive when I was in Paris.

This is definitely a consideration for all parents who have a mixed language background or a different language to the community their child will grow up in. My parents wanted names that worked in English, Russian and Italian. My husband likes a lot of traditional Slavic names, but we would be giving our children a lifetime of having to spell out their names
When I lived in Japan, I met a few people that told me their parents gave them Japanese names that had similar Anglo versions (Anna, Naomi, Karen, etc.) because they wanted their children to have easier names for Westerners to pronounce. Which, honestly, Japanese names are easy as hell to pronounce. They're pretty straightforward.

We had Nickelodeon via Sky TV back in the day so I watched more American TV than CBBC progs. Add me to the Sister Sister fan club. Didn’t get on with Sabrina but when it came to the younger stuff I enjoyed Rugrats and a bit of Doug. My brother liked Pete and Pete.

Geriatric millennials unite!
You're talking straight to my childhood. Loved Sister, Sister, Doug, Pete and Pete, Rugrats, All That, Sabrina, Kenan & Kel, etc.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back