Gymnast Social Media Megathread

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sandra Izbasa got married.
IMG_7659

Is Suni posting a pic of herself in another college’s sweatshirt wierd?!
IMG_1449

Maybe she has a boyfriend or a family member that goes there.

Her boyfriend goes to USC. And this wasn’t some random pic someone caught of her…she posted this herself on the day of Classics. She probably has lots of sweatshirts she could have worn getting her make-up done. That she would be wearing not Auburn but another University’s logo is…interesting.

Wearing a “state of Minnesota” sweatshirt would not have been weird at all. Choosing to wear a “university of Minnesota gophers” sweatshirt (the only university in the state with a D1 gymnastics team) on your first day of competition after leaving your college team…is different.

And I am in no way implying Suni has any plans to compete for Minnesota. But to leave your college team to train and compete elite, then post a pic of yourself in another D1 college’s sweatshirt your first day back competing elite is a choice.

It also could have been a completely innocent choice on the part of Suni, I think she truly loves Minnesota(I went to college in Minnesota and agree!). But I also would read shade into it if I were an Auburn fan. But when you reach Olympic AA champion level of fame, all of your choices will be analyzed.

I think her being from Minnesota is explanation enough and reasonable. She no longer attends Auburn so I don’t see why she’d still be beholden to it.

But SEC fans (of all sports) are kind of unhinged, so…

If Suni wants to get a college degree and is done at Auburn it makes sense for her to to enroll at Minnesota.

Not sure if she is actually is enrolled there though.

Definitely can see it would look weird to people, especially Auburn fans.

I really feel for Suni. She committed to Auburn at a time when she had no realistic prospect of making money from gymnastics, and her family was facing considerable economic hardship. So she signs with the brother of her personal coach. Perhaps at the time she was looking forward to attend school there, but by the time she goes to college, she’s the Olympic champion and can’t even have a normal college experience.

I think it’s more likely she’ll go to Minnesota as a regular student. Gymnastics might not even be possible if her kidney issues prevent her being medically cleared

On a separate note, Ariel Posen (MG Elite/Georgia) just posted that she’s medically retiring. She includes a couple slides giving advice and one of those points seems to indicate she was made to do this by Georgia coaching staff, so I’m even more ready for the end of the CKC era. Especially after the speculation that Chris Waller pulled her scholarship at UCLA due to the Maggie Haney situation, it seems like she’s had a really rough go.

She includes a couple slides giving advice and one of those points seems to indicate she was made to do this by Georgia coaching staff, so I’m even more ready for the end of the CKC era.
UGA has typically been the school that snatches up all the athletes that other major schools won’t clear or take a chance on (that’s how they got JaFree Scott and Victoria Nguyen) so if she’s not making lineups and was being talked to about medical retirement, I would imagine the situation was pretty dire.

I mean Florida cleared Victoria, and I was under the impression they would’ve cleared JaFree, it was just that they pulled her scholarship because she hadn’t competed in a while. Ariel seems to say in her post that her doctor said that despite her surgery, she did not have a higher risk of injury. My understanding was that it was more of a Riley McCusker-type situation where it might take her a while to come back and there would be no guarantees so CKC thought it was better to take the scholarship for someone else.

I mean Florida cleared Victoria, and I was under the impression they would’ve cleared JaFree
Victoria was the one that other programs didn’t want to take a chance on because she didn’t look great in her later club meets, from what I heard, so UGA offered her a scholarship because they needed someone, anyone.

And I also read that Scott had three ACL tears so maybe it was that Jenny didn’t think she would be cleared so just pulled her scholarship preemptively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back