Gymnast Social Media Megathread

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh wow that’s pretty big news, and somewhat unexpected. To be honest I was rather underwhelmed by her gymnastics…always seemed a bit slack or sluggish to me, even while she earned some major accomplishments in a relatively weakened post-Olympic and Russia-free field. That said, I’ve actually enjoyed watching her recent performances in NCAA more than I had in her elite career.

And as it stands, she is probably the 4th or 5th or 6th best gymnast in the US, so, she certainly stands a decent chance.

DiCello competed against Melnikova and Urazova in 2021 at Worlds. That was a fully attended if underwhelming Worlds. But I agree about being underwhelmed with her gymnastics as well as her chances to make it to Paris, alas.

Oh yes, my mistake. I shouldn’t undersell her. Her steady eddy reputation is pretty well deserved. I just took a bit of issue with her loose knees and drowsy floor routine and that slow-as-molasses double tuck on beam.

And… (look at me revoking my own feminist card 🫣) I have to say that super messy top bun hair style she wears always contributed to this impression I had that this naturally talented athlete had kinda just hopped out of bed and stumbled into a major competition arena to do her routines. Yes not super objective of me, just a vibe I got – and maybe already getting better at Florida. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Looks like moderators removed information on Reddit.

Once the spring semester ends, DiCello plans to return home and take summer classes online and resume her elite training under Coach Kelli Hill, the former U.S. Olympic Team head coach who operates the gym in Maryland where DiCello trained growing up. DiCello also has a home gym that allows her to focus on the mission.

DiCello plans to return home to the Washington-D.C. metro area and train with long-time coach Kelli Hill and Hill’s Gymnastics.

“I called her maybe a few weeks ago, just letting her know kind of what I was thinking. Just like, ‘I think I want to come back. Would you be willing to train me? Would you help me?’ And she told me that she would,” said DiCello of Hill, who had previously announced her retirement from coaching. “So then a few weeks went by and that was when I was deciding whether I wanted to stay [in Gainesville] or go back and train. Then, I came to my decision of going back home, and she was like… ‘We can do it together.’”

While DiCello says she hasn’t really been focused on training the more difficult element she’ll need for elite-level gymnastics during her collegiate season, she hopes to compete first at August’s U.S. Classic.

well I wish DiCello luck, this might pan out for her or may not but as she said she didn’t want to have any regrets.

I won’t forget the bigness of her DTY at 2018 Junior Nationals.

Who is aiming to comeback at Nationals? DiCello and Lee? What about Douglas? and is Worlds teams of 5 again?

Captain Chiles, Blakely, Carey, Jones, Lee
VT: Jones, Chiles, Carey (Blakely/Lee
UB: Chiles, Lee, Jones (Blakely/Carey)
BB: Chiles, Blakely, Lee (Jones)
FX: Carey, Jones, Chiles (Blakely/Lee)
alt: DiCello, Wong
Is Blakely worth taking for one event? I think maybe. I’m not sure there’s room for Roberson to be an alternate
Chiles looks positioned to be the US’s most essential gymnast, as she was last year being used on all four events in TF. I don’t think there’s a team this year in which she’s not used on all events in TF unless she’s looking inconsistent on BB by Worlds.

Yes, worlds is only 5 again.

Sunisa Lee has been cleared to train again, so I expect to see her try for worlds barring any setbacks. No idea about Gabby Douglas.

Roberson is an interesting choice for alternate, because if either Carey or Chiles can’t compete, she’s the perfect filler. But also, those two are so consistently healthy and in great shape that they’re actually the least likely to not be able to compete among the favorites, IMO.

And sorry for the post bomb but does anyone know how Jones is looking? Curious why she didn’t want to go out and do some of the spring assignments, but maybe she’s also working on her program in ways that a competition wouldn’t have been productive. Hoping for that at least.

She’s not the perfect filler for Chiles because Chiles is necessary for UB and BB. Maybe she’s a better fit for replacing Carey, but Blakely and Wong have serviceable DTYs and FX routines as well as solid UB and BB which Roberson lacks. I don’t see how she makes the team unless she beats Carey on both VT and FX and maybe even AA.

She posted this on Instagram the other day:

2,237 likes, 26 comments - Shilese Jones (@shicanfly) on Instagram: this season ? 😝

Sorry, not sure how to fix it so it displays correctly, but you can see her do a full-in dismount if you click the link.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean, Chiles is not replaceable but among the imagined alternates, Roberson would be pulled in to deliver a silver medal on vault and whatever medal on floor (if Chiles or Carey withdrew). If she were the alternate, that is, but I’m much more comfortable having someone like Wong as the alternate.

Yeah, I’m struggling to see her as an alternate even because if Chiles and Carey were both injured – knock on wood – this would be my team:
VT: DiCello, Blakely, Jones (Lee/Wong)
UB: Wong, Jones, Lee (DiCello/Blakely)
BB: Jones, Blakely, Lee (Wong/DiCello)
FX: Wong, Blakely, Jones (DiCello/Lee)

Even here, without Chiles and Carey, the events I’m most concerned about are easily UB and BB, in which case someone like Fatta would be a better alternate

Sure, you could decide to max out individual medal prospects and choose Roberson over DiCello but that is to the team’s detriment

Last edited:
I mean as long as Chiles and Carey are performing I don’t see Roberson making a team, but in that hypothetical situation you’d surely consider taking her over someone only contributing a vault in TF and not contending for event finals? (DiCello in your example) In the 5-3-3 format it doesn’t matter how your fifth bars routine would score or even if it doesn’t exist.

Tbh, purely in terms of trying to get to Paris is there any benefit to her even training bars? She would need to be scoring what, mid to high 13s consistently for her bars or AA to possibly be relevant to the team selection? Is that going to happen in just over 12 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back