Gabby Douglas Comeback Thread

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

I think they both would have been able to compete, right?

Can you imagine someone making 3 event finals, hitting a 9.3 DTY, and not making AA?! I’d be so pissed!

Last edited:
I vaguely recall when people were tied on D and E in 8th place they were both allowed into EF but I don’t recall there ever being a time when it was two on the same team. Does two-per override everything or can it be tossed aside in some cases? Would have been interesting to see what they did with that though I am glad Laurie got to compete. But yeah, what would have happened if Gabby or Aly had tied Laurie and not each other?

I’m still rather vexed at Raisman’s UB overscore in Rio qualies. It should not have been so close and should have 2per’d her out of AA finals.

And a Paris team consisting of the last three Olympic AA champions would be historical and epic. Not to mention a team with Gabby and Suni would really help the UB lineup.

All I have to say is…

Gabby Douglas Sport GIF by Team USA

I’ma 30+ yo black man in a super white city at a place for children (I have no kids). Can’t take any chances!

I went to one location around 3:30 but there weren’t any elites training. Does anyone have any idea what a typical training schedule looks like? I’m going to try the other location this evening maybe.

Gabby is the last person on earth I would have guessed would come back. I would have been less surprised if someone had told me Gabby’s mom was seriously training, you know that woman loves a spotlight.

Reactions: L_R
Gabby seemed very finished with the non-gymnastics side of the sport, if that makes sense. But she also comes off as someone who could still be throwing difficult skills for eons after she actually retires. Her physique is great for that.

Also fwiw we don’t know if this is a comeback. Training could be for something other than attempting competitive gymnastics again.

Yep, that’s why it seemed so unbelievable that she would be coming back. With that said, I always felt like she had the body type that could bounce right back into shape. Maybe she has unfinished business with herself, as there was so much drama with 2016 (trials, coaches, Rio, the abuse). Then the cynical side of me wonders if the endorsements are drying up and she has to come back in order to make the kind of money she’s used to making.

Either way, she has nothing to lose. I think the code could work out in her favor, especially on bars and beam as she’s always been solid with execution.

2012 she was following her Olympic dream but was so young, in 2016 it seemed almost as though she was being forced to do gymnastics and her comeback never had the spark she had the first time around.
Perhaps she is making a comeback on her terms and because she missed gymnastics.

I hope it this and not for other reasons such as monetary opportunities from making the comeback.

Obviously completely hypothetical, but a team of Shilese, Jade, Suni, Gabby and Simone, would literally smack so hard on every event!
Leanne Wong will not be left out of the Olympics. OVER MY DEAD BODY.

I no longer care about Jade if Gabby is back, tbh.

0 white girls on the team would also be historic.

But she also comes off as someone who could still be throwing difficult skills for eons after she actually retires. Her physique is great for that.
Totally! In the most non-creepiest “i’m a gay
man” non- Al Trauwtwig way possible, Gabby’s body was incredible. Made for gymnastics. Maybe even more so than Simone IMO. The way she could whip an Amanar around in 2012, with a pretty poor technique, was phenomenal. She was made to be a gymnast.

Although she lost some difficulty, post-puberty, I think she had a nicer line and better flexibility in 2016. Her Switch Ring, for sure, improved.

Last edited:
I’m not sure I understand why someone wanting to make a living doing the thing they are best at can in any way be considered a “bad” thing? I think it’s great that gymnasts can now make some money doing their sport just like other professional athletes. Even if Gabby isn’t in it “for the love of the sport”, but just in it to be able to make a good living again, good for her, and good for us we might get to see her compete again.

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back