Gabby Douglas Comeback Thread (New goal: LA 2028)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Given the number of things a gymnast could choose to train when preparing an AA program for the Olympics, what is probably the hardest release currently being performed (and a release that wasn't even really on the radar when she would've been planning routines for the season) seems pretty out there. Throwing every skill in (or not yet in) the book, quality be hecked, is not the only way for a coach to work the code. To say otherwise would be to fail a number of gymnasts who gain a good deal by performing smart, clean gymnastics.

It would be called the Douglas-Lee if they both went to Paris with it. Unlikely to happen now, hence the quotes used, but it's something that was a realistic possibility. Many gymnasts could be doing that skill with sketchy technique, it's a loophole that hasn't been addressed. I'm guessing MAG will broach the issue first, since the skill is becoming ultra lucrative in the next code and should lead to a large uptick in the number of people trying it there (this should already be the case in WAG, with the H rating and .2 connection bonus from E pirouettes). I'm not disappointed in Gabby at all, the fault is with the coach for not realizing how to game the code better and maximize her potential.
You just spoke with such certainty that I thought you knew something we didn’t, and now I’m quite disappointed this isn’t happening 😂😂😂

I’m interested in your other fantasy routines for Gabby on beam and floor. Please share! I love hearing the potential that people see in different gymnasts. Like I will have to see the DLO in person to believe Gabby can really do that skill, while some people already have that as her second pass in their minds.

Given the number of things a gymnast could choose to train when preparing an AA program for the Olympics, what is probably the hardest release currently being performed (and a release that wasn't even really on the radar when she would've been planning routines for the season) seems pretty out there.

It's not at all the hardest release, that's the thing. Twisting a Winkler on the bar like Rin Kawabata and others have done makes it vastly easier, but that faulty technique is not being penalized currently. It's H rating for something that's really E or F level, depending on exactly how cheated the entry is. Combined with the extra bonus for pirouette connection in the recent code, smart coaches should have jumped on taking advantage of this skill. Several of the Chinese girls could be reaping big rewards from it right now if the coaching was in place, and Gabby should be capable of it too.

@crdubb17 I think it's far less useful to speculate what Gabby could be capable of on Beam and Floor, because those events require a whole different kind of training and have more direct limitations, whereas with Bars it's easy to see from her prior skillset what she should be capable of. That's been clear ever since Gabby posted herself doing completely perfect Chinese pirouettes again.

As for "preparing an AA program", I think the smartest approach is to have at least one event that makes you undeniable for selection. That event was always going to be UB for Gabby, and this event is often one of the best ways to gain an advantage in the AA anyway.

Soooo you're advocating for teaching a wrong technique to boot? I'm sorry but nothing about that is smart coaching

It's not at all the hardest release, that's the thing. Twisting a Winkler on the bar like Rin Kawabata and others have done makes it vastly easier, but that faulty technique is not being penalized currently. It's H rating for something that's really E or F level, depending on exactly how cheated the entry is. Combined with the extra bonus for pirouette connection in the recent code, smart coaches should have jumped on taking advantage of this skill. Several of the Chinese girls could be reaping big rewards from it right now if the coaching was in place, and Gabby should be capable of it too.

@crdubb17 I think it's far less useful to speculate what Gabby could be capable of on Beam and Floor, because those events require a whole different kind of training and have more direct limitations, whereas with Bars it's easy to see from her prior skillset what she should be capable of. That's been clear ever since Gabby posted herself doing completely perfect Chinese pirouettes again.

As for "preparing an AA program", I think the smartest approach is to have at least one event that makes you undeniable for selection. That event was always going to be UB for Gabby, and this event is often one of the best ways to gain an advantage in the AA anyway.
This speculation is extremely strange. How many other gymnasts on the national team are capable of this skill according to this explanation? One would have to say quite a few, yes?

Soooo you're advocating for teaching a wrong technique to boot? I'm sorry but nothing about that is smart coaching

Yes it is smart coaching. It's not "wrong" according to the current FIG mindset and there's nothing unsafe about it; this is no different than how people should have been taking advantage of the Shushunova when it had G rating or taking advantage of the Tweddle at F rating, when the whole time that was really only a D skill when performed without any turn in the air.

@RichardL Yep, a large number of gymnasts could do a standalone cheated Winkler if given adequate training time. However, among the American girls, Gabby is the only one who has shown the ability to do a good E pirouette to go with it, for maximum code advantage. I absolutely guarantee you we will see many MAG doing this in the coming years, until there is a rule update, and that should be the case for WAG too.

I think it's time to ignore the troll guys... I genuinely thought the initial posts were sarcasm.
Everyone above is having a reasonable and civil discussion, you’re jumping in out of no where with name calling. What is the problem?

Everyone above is having a reasonable and civil discussion, you’re jumping in out of no where with name calling. What is the problem?
I'm not "jumping in out of no where with name calling." I'm plainly suggesting that the poster is trolling because there is nothing about this discussion that is reasonable.

She only lives a few hours away, right? Doesn't seem weird she didn't come for this training. I'm at least going to wait until tomorrow before jumping to that conclusion.

I struggle to see what the point is in announcing you're going to compete and then not compete.

She only lives a few hours away, right? Doesn't seem weird she didn't come for this training. I'm at least going to wait until tomorrow before jumping to that conclusion.

I struggle to see what the point is in announcing you're going to compete and then not compete.
It’s baffling. Even if this is a Nastiaesque money grab comeback, this is the wrong way to do it.

t’s baffling. Even if this is a Nastiaesque money grab comeback, this is the wrong way to do it.
It is indeed. But it explains why a former gymnast might announce a return to competition and then not compete. But its premature to jump to any conclusions. Lets all wait til tomorrow and see what happens.

And let's be honest, are any companies knocking on her door to give her money? I haven't seen any commercials or ad campaigns featuring her. Maybe she is hoping for money but after 8 years (?), I would think she's going to have to have some recent results to get companies to bite.

And let's be honest, are any companies knocking on her door to give her money? I haven't seen any commercials or ad campaigns featuring her. Maybe she is hoping for money but after 8 years (?), I would think she's going to have to have some recent results to get companies to bite.
She got a Dr Scholls deal.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back