Gabby Douglas Comeback Thread (5/29/24 Withdrawn from Nationals)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I think it was understandably a lot easier to cite an ankle injury than to say that her head wasn't in the right space. But I do think the latter is why she pulled out.

It's just a shame because she could physically do the routines. And quite something because she showed her mental toughness was remarkable in 2012 by suddenly becoming consistent on beam when it mattered at the Olympics after struggling on the event all year. And then again showing her mental toughness in 2016 by becoming leaps better at the Olympics than at Nationals and Trials.

I guess the pressure this time was too much. Understandable considering even Simone, who was a rock under pressure her whole career, finally faced too much pressure in Tokyo. Even the greatest and toughest under pressure can struggle with it when it becomes too great.

I don’t know where the words “fake” and “publicity stunt” came from. I could be wrong (it’s been a loooong conversation) but I do not think any of us who doubted the comeback would be viable used them. I think our point has been simply that it would not be a viable comeback. And we were right. As it turns out. As for Gabby’s motivation in the comeback people saying none of us can get in her head are for sure correct. But it’s not outrageous to speculate that it may have been motivated in large or at least some part by a desire for marketability.

Last edited:
I thought that from the very beginning of her "come back" She has no real income (that I know of anyway) and its a long time since 2012 and the marketing opportunities that brought. A "comeback" story seemed like a possible way to go. Sorry, but at this point it seems painfully clear that those of us who suspected this were correct.

See how you keep putting the word comeback in quotations here? That implies that you believe the comeback is not a genuine comeback. Ergo you imply it to be a fake comeback vs a real comeback that would not require you to use air quotes.

right now I feel the comeback is nothing more than keeping people interested in Gabby the gymnast for monatary gains.

Implies the comeback is solely for publicity and money.

Last edited:
See how you keep putting the word comeback in quotations here? That implies that you believe the comeback is not a genuine comeback. Ergo you imply it to be a fake comeback vs a real comeback that would not require you to use air quotes.

Implies the comeback is solely for publicity and money.
I did think the motive for the comeback was marketability. I still do. And the quotation marks were meant to stress that. But if I thought it was "fake" or some kind of "stunt" I would have said so. Clearly her marketablity required a successful comeback and making the 2024 Olympic Team. And I think she was trying for that. I also thought it would never happen. And I was correct.

Last edited:
There is a difference between doubting the comeback would be viable (a legitimate argument to make) and doubting that her comeback was to actually try to make the Olympic team (not a legitimate argument since we saw the training video of her eagle grip pirouettes). As someone said upthread - no-one relearns those skills just for fun.

There is a difference between doubting the comeback would be viable (a legitimate argument to make) and doubting that her comeback was to actually try to make the Olympic team (not a legitimate argument since we saw the training video of her eagle grip pirouettes). As someone said upthread - no-one relearns those skills just for fun.
that's correct. And I can only speak for myself, not for others who fall into the general "doubters" category -- but I for sure thought she was genuinely trying to make the Team. Because her renewed marketability depended on it. I was virtually certain she would fall short of that and she did. And let me add this -- there is nothing wrong with trying to enhance or renew ones marketability. ALL former athletes who do not develop alternate careers have to do that. Aly Raisman has done it pretty successfully by redefining herself as a mental health advocate. I have said that many times and I am a huge Aly fan. Gymnastics careers are short and the window for making money in deals resulting mostly from being on the Olympic Team close quickly and long before most athletes have had the opportunity to earn enough to last a lifetime. They have to figure something else out. There is nothing wrong with it in fact its necessary. And again, I can only speak for myself, but I think at least some of my comments were spurred by what I thought was ridiculous overestimation on this board of Gabby's chances to make the Team.

that's correct. And I can only speak for myself, not for others who fall into the general "doubters" category -- but I for sure thought she was genuinely trying to make the Team. Because her renewed marketability depended on it. I was virtually certain she would fall short of that and she did. And let me add this -- there is nothing wrong with trying to enhance or renew ones marketability. ALL former athletes who do not develop alternate careers have to do that. Aly Raisman has done it pretty successfully by redefining herself as a mental health advocate. I have said that many times and I am a huge Aly fan. Gymnastics careers are short and the window for making money in deals resulting mostly from being on the Olympic Team close quickly and long before most athletes have had the opportunity to earn enough to last a lifetime. They have to figure something else out. There is nothing wrong with it in fact its necessary. And again, I can only speak for myself, but I think at least some of my comments were spurred by what I thought was ridiculous overestimation on this board of Gabby's chances to make the Team.
This is... utterly bizarre.
When Simone came back in 2018 and 2023, no one questioned her or speculated about her motives.
Gabby had all the skills to potentially make the 2024 Olympic team, or the US national team at the very least. She didn't have the mental toughness to go through her routines/competitions successfully. I just wish she went with a different coach for her comeback, someone able to give her an emotional support when needed, and smart enough regarding routine constructions. People keep mentioning that Liukin's only olympic success was with his own daughter. True, but still, he wasn't able to coach her for a successful comeback. Gabby's 2024 bars were a sad reminiscence of Nastia's 2012 bars.

This is... utterly bizarre.
When Simone came back in 2018 and 2023, no one questioned her or speculated about her motives.
Gabby had all the skills to potentially make the 2024 Olympic team, or the US national team at the very least. She didn't have the mental toughness to go through her routines/competitions successfully. I just wish she went with a different coach for her comeback, someone able to give her an emotional support when needed, and smart enough regarding routine constructions. People keep mentioning that Liukin's only olympic success was with his own daughter. True, but still, he wasn't able to coach her for a successful comeback. Gabby's 2024 bars were a sad reminiscence of Nastia's 2012 bars.
If she continues, I hope she switches coaches. I know that is hard to do as she would likely have to move (at least temporarily), but she and Shi seem on good terms, I would love for them to be training partners under Shi's coach.

For some reason, that post is more encouraging than the initial statement. I’m also not convinced that the foot is the main issue but I hope she’s aiming to continue training, work on her head and return with more time in the gym and under much less pressure outside of an Olympic year. She liked a lot of comments urging her to go for worlds 2025.

Saw the AA champ one. She’ll have to be the top gymnasts at trials for that to happen…..

Not to mention other gymnasts from different countries

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back