Gabby Douglas Comeback Thread (New goal: LA 2028)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Will she get credit for the switch ring?
I think it’s borderline. Another way to get to 6.3 is if she does an L turn and then FF + loso + loso for .2. Or a switch leap mount (D) and then a B leap (stag ring jump) out of the front pike. But I’m inclined to think she’ll be trying the switch ring, especially since she’s at WOGA now

Dang I hope she goes all the way.

I’m sure you have to start to build the muscle memory when you are small and fearless and the ground isn’t so far away but you wonder how much training smart with an adult brain and knowing your body would extend many careers. Knowing you are injured and not “lazy” so you pause or dial back training, being able to take a day off without guilting yourself into depression or anxiety, having pizza once in a while… i mean look how far Chellsie went in a year or two by training smart and she too looked better than when she was a teen.

I’m sure you have to start to build the muscle memory when you are small and fearless and the ground isn’t so far away but you wonder how much training smart with an adult brain and knowing your body would extend many careers. Knowing you are injured and not “lazy” so you pause or dial back training, being able to take a day off without guilting yourself into depression or anxiety, having pizza once in a while… i mean look how far Chellsie went in a year or two by training smart and she too looked better than when she was a teen.
I was jr elite in trampoline and had to quit at 13. I came back to coach at 23 while in grad school and I got back all of my skills. The muscle memory was there for sure but also my brain was much calmer: I could see the skills and had much more patience and control in the air. If I had actually been in physical shape it would’ve been a whole different experience lol.

If what people are saying is true about Gabby, we have a whole lot to be excited about. I wonder what they mean when they say she looks better/stronger than ever.

I was jr elite in trampoline and had to quit at 13. I came back to coach at 23 while in grad school and I got back all of my skills. The muscle memory was there for sure but also my brain was much calmer: I could see the skills and had much more patience and control in the air. If I had actually been in physical shape it would’ve been a whole different experience lol.

If what people are saying is true about Gabby, we have a whole lot to be excited about. I wonder what they mean when they say she looks better/stronger than ever.
If I recall correctly, in her Time interview she felt that she could have given more effort in 2016 or she could have been better.

If I recall correctly, in her Time interview she felt that she could have given more effort in 2016 or she could have been better.
Well, she had a lot of media and commercial demands on her time and the whole coaching situation that to this day, i don’t really understand what went on. Add in the start of fallout from he-who-will-not-be-named and weren’t several of her family members pretty financially dependent on her? She had a lot pulling her attention. Though, 3rd in the world and a possible bronze if not for 2-per, isn’t exactly bad. And she wasn’t going to make up Aly’s vault and FX advantages on bars with the generous way Aly was judged.

Well, she had a lot of media and commercial demands on her time and the whole coaching situation that to this day, i don’t really understand what went on. Add in the start of fallout from he-who-will-not-be-named and weren’t several of her family members pretty financially dependent on her? She had a lot pulling her attention. Though, 3rd in the world and a possible bronze if not for 2-per, isn’t exactly bad. And she wasn’t going to make up Aly’s vault and FX advantages on bars with the generous way Aly was judged.
I still thank jebus for Simone Biles or we would have had Aly Raisman, OLYMPIC AA CHAMP

She looked depressed AF, too, IIRC. It’s hard to be at your best when all the joy has gone out of it.

Gabby had tremendous pressure on her too as reigning Olympic AA champ (and Worlds AA silver) to make a second games, not just from family but USAG (Steve and Marta) as well.
There was a lot going on. Then when she made the team there was the backlash from Skinner fans.

Douglas Thomas

I still thank jebus for Simone Biles or we would have had Aly Raisman, OLYMPIC AA CHAMP
Total guesswork on my part, but I always had the impression we’d have seen a more competitive Gabby in 2016 if Simone hadn’t been around.

Total guesswork on my part, but I always had the impression we’d have seen a more competitive Gabby in 2016 if Simone hadn’t been around.
Douglas was doing the Amanar in PT at 2015 Worlds, and would’ve needed to be able to land it consistently to beat Raisman in the AA unfortunately. She was at her max on the other events IMO. We will forever puzzle over Raisman’s E-scores, but they were consistent.

Douglas was doing the Amanar in PT at 2015 Worlds, and would’ve needed to be able to land it consistently to beat Raisman in the AA unfortunately. She was at her max on the other events IMO. We will forever puzzle over Raisman’s E-scores, but they were consistent.
Between her being completely miserable and unmotivated, her knee fracture at the end of 2015 and Kittia and Christian being subpar coaches, I don’t think we ever saw her max from that period. I remember she kept on coyly saying in 2015 and 2016 that she was preparing upgrades (presumably the amanar and a new FX pass at minimum) for the Olympics but they just never surfaced.

I’d really like to think that if she was in a better headspace and with better coaches, she would have gotten more out of her gymnastics.

Last edited:
Between her being completely miserable and unmotivated, her knee fracture at the end of 2015 and Kittia and Christian being subpar coaches, I don’t think we ever saw her max from that period. I remember she kept on coyly saying in 2015 and 2016 that she was preparing upgrades (presumably the amanar and a new FX pass at minimum) for the Olympics but they just never surfaced.

I’d really like to think that if she was in a better headspace and with better coaches, she would have gotten more out of her gymnastics.
Was her only FX upgrade the full-in to back tuck?

I really don’t think that’s an assumption we can make. Even on the basis that she’d maxed out bars by Rio, there was so much room left to have improved beam and floor. Aly’s prelims and AA totals were both beatable even in the context of Gabby having had poor coaching and some motivation issues.

I really don’t think that’s an assumption we can make. Even on the basis that she’d maxed out bars by Rio, there was so much room left to have improved beam and floor. Aly’s prelims and AA totals were both beatable even in the context of Gabby having had poor coaching and some motivation issues.
I guess I’m trying to say that Gabby did great, but the fix was in for Raisman. If she’d been scored properly on bars, of course, then it wouldn’t have mattered.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back