FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal) PART 2

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I think it was to improve the look of the field of play for spectators, TV, photographers (not necessarily in that order of priority). Having them raised does help with some judging angles/not looking up at lights as well. It does look better and my amateur photos are much improved without water bottles and judges cluttering the background. However it’s not worth it when it demonstrably hurts the sport. I also dislike how floor choreography is now focused on the judge’s viewpoint rather than in a range of directions.

Last edited:
Wasn't it a Grandi thing that they wanted gymnastics to be more "performance" without judges cluttering up the viewer/audience "experience"? It was also the reason that they banned (now reinstated) warm-ups.

Wasn't it a Grandi thing that they wanted gymnastics to be more "performance" without judges cluttering up the viewer/audience "experience"? It was also the reason that they banned (now reinstated) warm-ups.
Did that contribute to dark cavernous arenas with spot-lit gymnasts too I wonder?

I like "people-watching" at the mostly older well lit tournaments.

Last edited:
Which worlds started this wretched trend? Glasgow? I hate how contrived and theatrical it all is. It's a damn sporting event. Light the freaking arenas. Put the officials where they can actually see the event they're assigned to.

Angrily shakes fist at clouds.

Which worlds started this wretched trend? Glasgow?

Yep, it was Glasgow.

2014 Worlds the lights were all on and the judges tables were up against the podiums.

Nanning China.png

2015 the judges were gone and everything was plunged into darkness.

2015 Worlds - Arena 5.jpg

The silver lining is that robo-judging D Scores (and OOB) will now come in. Let the machine make the call. It has cleared up a lot of the issues in Tennis.
I remain extremely skeptical that removing people from it will make it better. We've been trying to use more AI over the last few years while seating judges increasingly far away and it's not done much good.

I remain extremely skeptical that removing people from it will make it better. We've been trying to use more AI over the last few years while seating judges increasingly far away and it's not done much good.
agree, agree, agree

I feel like ai judging might work on a single skill thing like vault but can you imagine the fustercluck if the computer glitches during Rebeca Andrade's vault and doesn't record a result? They can't even figure out the difference between the time a verbal inquiry is made and the time a person records that an inquiry was made and they took away a medal based on that stupidity. I'd love for human subjectivity to be limited but fear the chaos while they try to get there.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back