FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal) PART 2

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

It’s going to be hard not to question everything with FIG going forward. Things I ask myself:

1. Are judges at major events as well-trained as i thought,
2. Is the timing system well-known to the operators,
3. Do they provide any training to the LOC and most especially people involved in supporting the judges,
4. Does everyone supporting a competition know their jobs,
5. Can we rely on coaches to know what they can appeal, and how to,
6. Is there undue influence on judges to make favourable decisions for the countries with less or more influence (bias),
7. Do I really think they can fix their issues?

Man, this is so depressing. I wonder how much easier this might have been for Jordan if they'd just recognised that the inquiry was late (if it was?) in the moment, and rejected it outright. I'm sure it would have been disappointing at the time, but she might have already moved past it. Now all of this is going to stay with her forever, even if they manage to come to a more favourable arrangement.

And Sabrina. Not only was she let down by her mother/coach not knowing the proper procedures, but the mother/coach in question appears to feel that she is the victim here. It's just ... woof.

They’re talking about the sanctity of an Olympic medal as the rationale for not doing it. But at this point, the harm to the (non-gymnastic fans) view of Gymnastics is magnitudes larger than the harm of just giving out 3 bronzes.

It’s like they’re so dug in now, they can’t go back.

They could have had all 3 bronzes awarded at a closing ceremony thing and it would have all been kumbayahh done and dusted.

I was originally not in favor of 3 bronzes but now it’s just SUCH a shitshow I think that’s the only way you can draw a line under it. And even if they did it now it might be too late.

I don’t know if how much stock one puts in the Daily Mail, but they’re reporting a rift between Voinea and Barbosu now

They're just quoting Barbosu's interview the other day, where she said she had seen and hugged Voinea that day, that obviously there was a little distance right now, but that she doesn't want to speak on Sabrina's behalf and Romania needs Sabrina for the future.

I wouldn't really call it reporting. Obviously there will be some awkwardness. They asked her if she and Jordan had spoken too. She just said no but they wouldn't really have conversations during doping tests normally.

Daily Mail just wants to keep stirring I think!

Last edited:
The medal is completely meaningless at this point. They've made it impossible for even the official winner to feel truly satisfied with the outcome. There were so many mistakes and oversights at so many different times throughout this debacle that there is no fair result. If I didn't care about the mental health of the athletes, I'd say that they should just scrap the bronze altogether and this can go down in history as the Olympics with only gold and silver awarded on floor. As it is, I am on team medal for everybody.

It’s going to be hard not to question everything with FIG going forward. Things I ask myself:

1. Are judges at major events as well-trained as i thought,
2. Is the timing system well-known to the operators,
3. Do they provide any training to the LOC and most especially people involved in supporting the judges,
4. Does everyone supporting a competition know their jobs,
5. Can we rely on coaches to know what they can appeal, and how to,
6. Is there undue influence on judges to make favourable decisions for the countries with less or more influence (bias),
7. Do I really think they can fix their issues?
All of these are questions the FIG needs to ask themselves, and then they need to create and carry out plans to answer them transparently because there are now way more eyes on them than they're used to.

They’re talking about the sanctity of an Olympic medal as the rationale for not doing it. But at this point, the harm to the (non-gymnastic fans) view of Gymnastics is magnitudes larger than the harm of just giving out 3 bronzes.

It’s like they’re so dug in now, they can’t go back.

They could have had all 3 bronzes awarded at a closing ceremony thing and it would have all been kumbayahh done and dusted.

I was originally not in favor of 3 bronzes but now it’s just SUCH a shitshow I think that’s the only way you can draw a line under it. And even if they did it now it might be too late.
The irony is that this entire process has completely nullified the sanctity of an Olympic medal.

They're just quoting Barbosu's interview the other day, where she said she had seen and hugged Voinea that day, that obviously there was a little distance right now, but that she doesn't want to speak on Sabrina's behalf and Romania needs Sabrina for the future.

I wouldn't really call it reporting. Obviously there will be some awkwardness. They asked her if she had Jordan had spoken too and she just said no but they wouldn't really have conversations during doping tests normally.

Daily Mail just wants to keep stirring I think!

I mean there has always been a huge distance between the Voinea camp and the national training group with Kierns. The whole FIG medal fiasco has just shone a brighter light on it.

It was really noticeable at Worlds last year when Mama Voinea refused to help with vault set up for any gymnast who wasn't Sabrina and just stood watching Kierns running around like a madman changing springboards/ positions for the rest of the team.

We all know mama voinea was shopping online for lipstick during the class on how to file an inquiry
😁👍 But in defence of mama Voinea it has to be said that she is not the only one apparently. I remember Angelina Melnikova complaining bitterly how her camp failed to file an inquiry which cost her Floor Final gold at post Tokyo Worlds. Also I read somewhere that it is not quite clear how to correctly put in inquiry about oob according to someone who is familiar with the code of points or what’s the name for the rules governing AG (please correct me) Has anyone actually had a successful inquiry on oob ?

The medal is completely meaningless at this point. They've made it impossible for even the official winner to feel truly satisfied with the outcome. There were so many mistakes and oversights at so many different times throughout this debacle that there is no fair result. If I didn't care about the mental health of the athletes, I'd say that they should just scrap the bronze altogether and this can go down in history as the Olympics with only gold and silver awarded on floor. As it is, I am on team medal for everybody.
Given how much the FIG hate multiple medals, bronze scrapping is letting them off far too easily. Instead, I think for every single thing they've done during this fiasco that has been wrong and/or fuckwitted, they should be denied the ability to break one tie in major competition. They'll have to cope and seethe, meanwhile we get more outcomes like the Tokyo floor podium. Win win.

😁👍 But in defence of mama Voinea it has to be said that she is not the only one apparently. I remember Angelina Melnikova complaining bitterly how her camp failed to file an inquiry which cost her Floor Final gold at post Tokyo Worlds. Also I read somewhere that it is not quite clear how to correctly put in inquiry about oob according to someone who is familiar with the code of points or what’s the name for the rules governing AG (please correct me) Has anyone actually had a successful inquiry on oob ?
I have the same questions.

And I think we are being a bit hard on Camelia Voinea here. No commentators said anything about the ND. Isn't it possible she trusted that the judges had got that right?

What I would love to know is whether team USA enquiried on Simone's beam salute!

And I think we are being a bit hard on Camelia Voinea here. No commentators said anything about the ND. Isn't it possible she trusted that the judges had got that right?

What I would love to know is whether team USA enquiried on Simone's beam salute!
When Maneca-Voinea score came up, the ND was the first thing I noticed and wondered what's it about. Because I was almost sure she DID NOT step oob, so what could it be?
And then there was an official document (posted as link/screenshot several times here) describing what coaches can inquire, or something like that. It sounded like time/line inquiry was separate from D inquiry but they indeed COULD inquiry it (and I would expect all the coaches out there with their gymnast to KNOW that document).
My point is... I don't think we are 'a bit hard' on old Voinea.
But I admit I am biased, because I so dislike her (because of her attitude toward other Romanian gymnasts), and the fact that this professional inquiry 'filler' couldn't do it right when it mattered amuses me.

Last edited:
When Maneca-Voinea score came up, the ND was the first thing I noticed and wondered what's it about. Because I was almost sure she DID NOT step oob, so what could it be?
And then there was an official document (posted as link/screenshot several times here) describing what coaches can inquire, or something like that. It sounded like time/line inquiry was separate from D inquiry but they indeed CAN inquiry it (and I would expect all the coaches out there with their gymnast to KNEW that document).
My point is... I don't think we are 'a bit hard' on old Voinea.
But I admit I am biased, because I so dislike her (because of her attitude toward other Romanian gymnasts), and the fact that this professional inquiry 'filler' couldn't do it right when it mattered amuses me.
Karma perhaps?

Would they have cared? She was in 4th with one still to go, and nearly a point out of the medals. Nothing to gain.

No point to Simone's .3 ND, since she was not winning a medal. It also cost money to inquire. Not worth losing cash if the judges agree with the .3 as adding it back won't make a difference.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back