FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal) PART 2

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

This is the same CAS that inexplicably decided Russia could have team figure skating bronze, even though decades of precedent has established that when one team member is guilty of cheating (or ineligible), the entire team is disqualified.
I thought at least one Olympic hockey team has had a doper and the team got to keep the medal.

Aside from all the many, obvious reasons this whole situation sucks, I like several Romanian gymnasts a lot less now - Nadia the most and I used to idolize her.

Just when you thought it couldn’t get any worse.

I thought at least one Olympic hockey team has had a doper and the team got to keep the medal.

Are you talking about Sweden and Nicklas Backstrom in 2014? Backstrom was suspended from playing in the final due to pseudoephedrine (that damn drug again), which Sweden and the IIHF protested. I believe Sweden claimed Backstrom had a TEU because his daily allergy meds contained pseudoephedrine.

Eventually, it was resolved that Sweden kept their silver, Backstrom accepted a reprimand and was awarded a silver, the IIHF got all pissy with the IOC and WADA, the NHL got all pissy at the IOC to the point where the league hasn't sent players to the Olympics since (although somewhat a convenient excuse, the owners never liked shutting down the league for 2+ weeks mid-season), and no one was happy about any of it.

And in full disclosure, I know him through a mutual friend, although I would hardly say we're friends. But I felt bad for him, he's never been anything but sweet and kind to me. Half the NHL is on allergy meds daily to deal with congestion.

I think there was some rule about the size of the team. Marion Jones' teammates lost relay medals as did Usain Bolt because of a dope on his team but if 1 soccer player out of 20 (or however many are on the team), they don't take everyone's medals. As I vaguely recall.

That said, Jordan Chiles' name simply does not belong on any list that also includes Lance Armstrong or Marion Jones. What a complete shitshow.

So let me see if I got this.

Sabrina gets a ND for OOB. Her mother fails to inquire on the ND but the D score. And Because the FIG is run by vastly superior intelligent humans, there’s a distinction in how you can examine that. So on the flip side, if she went one second over time say (which you only discovered during your review), can you apply a ND then? They didn’t challenge a ND, but you found one… so can you apply one?

I think there was some rule about the size of the team. Marion Jones' teammates lost relay medals as did Usain Bolt because of a dope on his team but if 1 soccer player out of 20 (or however many are on the team), they don't take everyone's medals. As I vaguely recall.

That said, Jordan Chiles' name simply does not belong on any list that also includes Lance Armstrong or Marion Jones. What a complete shitshow.
Neither did Raducan’s. Yes, I’m still very bitter 20 years later about it.

Are you talking about Sweden and Nicklas Backstrom in 2014? Backstrom was suspended from playing in the final due to pseudoephedrine (that damn drug again), which Sweden and the IIHF protested. I believe Sweden claimed Backstrom had a TEU because his daily allergy meds contained pseudoephedrine.

Eventually, it was resolved that Sweden kept their silver, Backstrom accepted a reprimand and was awarded a silver, the IIHF got all pissy with the IOC and WADA, the NHL got all pissy at the IOC to the point where the league hasn't sent players to the Olympics since (although somewhat a convenient excuse, the owners never liked shutting down the league for 2+ weeks mid-season), and no one was happy about any of it.

And in full disclosure, I know him through a mutual friend, although I would hardly say we're friends. But I felt bad for him, he's never been anything but sweet and kind to me. Half the NHL is on allergy meds daily to deal with congestion.
Thank you, I didn't look hard enough on Wikipedia before I gave up. I didn't remember which country, which didn't help. I never knew the full story.

Raducan was tested after team finals and was clean. Only her AA final doping test resulted in a positive. That's why she kept her team gold and vault silver.
And she only tested positive because she was given an adult dose. Amanar and Olaru had both taken the same dose (a cold was going around the Romanian team), but they weighed more than Raducan, so they didn't test positive.

Last edited:
There have been instances of sprinters caught doping who only raced in the prelims of relays and the rest of the team keeps the medal.

This happened to Crystal Cox (Survivor legend) and the women’s 4x400 relay in Athens.

There have been instances of sprinters caught doping who only raced in the prelims of relays and the rest of the team keeps the medal.

This happened to Crystal Cox (Survivor legend) and the women’s 4x400 relay in Athens.
Yeah, I think if you can prove they weren't totally instrumental to the team's success, you have a chance of keeping your medal. If it is the soccer player that scored a winning hat trick...well, it hasn't happened, so I don't know. I guess because Valieva's scores were removed and Russia still in medal position, they decided not to punish the rest of the team since her points weren't required to get them to bronze. But they also didn't reallocate her points which would have changed things.

Yeah, I think if you can prove they weren't totally instrumental to the team's success, you have a chance of keeping your medal. If it is the soccer player that scored a winning hat trick...well, it hasn't happened, so I don't know. I guess because Valieva's scores were removed and Russia still in medal position, they decided not to punish the rest of the team since her points weren't required to get them to bronze. But they also didn't reallocate her points which would have changed things.
From what I understand, the ISU had no written rules about what to do with the points from specific rounds of the team event if one athlete tested positive for doping. I hope they've added them now, but not sure because they're just as incompetent as FIG. I do think Canada should have gotten the bronze, but since it took so long I resigned myself with the bronze staying with ROC.

According to the ISU, as long as Valieva's positive test wasn't from the Olympics themselves, ROC could hold onto a medal. Their rules basically never specified whether points get reallocated or stay the same once her results were struck out, but clearly the ISU's interpretation was for her points to get discarded and not be reassigned. Without any clear language from the ISU to contradict this, CAS agreed to uphold Russia's bronze.

"U.S. athletes are awarded significant prize money if they claim Olympic hardware. Chiles will receive $37,500 for her gold medal in the team all-around event, for instance, and silver medal winners get $23,000. A bronze is worth $15,000 based on the USOPC payout system.

However, it remains uncertain how Team USA will handle Chiles’ situation if its appeal proves unsuccessful. According to an organization representative, the USOPC hasn’t determined whether it will grant Chiles the award, even if it loses the case, as it continues fighting in the courts. The U.S. likely would have the option to pay her regardless of the IOC’s final decision, though doing so could establish a thorny precedent as well as draw additional scrutiny. A Chiles representative declined to comment."

Yang Tae-Young & KOC vs FIG

"19. The essence of the defense mounted on behalf of all the Respondents is that whether the subject matter of the appeal is justiciable at all, the protest was made too late, by the wrong person and not in conformity with the rules.

20. We uphold that defense:
(i) For reasons already set out above, we consider that any protest to be effective within the
ambit of the FIG rules had to be made before the end of the competition.

(ii) For reasons already set out above we consider that the first effective protest was made
after the competition ended. The first incident relied on by Yang did not constitute a
protest.

21. In our view it was for Lee, as Yang’s coach, to set the appeal machinery in motion.
Unfortunately Lee did not protest the controversial start value during the competition.

26. There is another and powerful consideration, well articulated on behalf of Hamm. Had the competition been on one apparatus only ie the parallel bars, then the conclusion that the judging error led to a disarray in the medal positions would follow as night follows day. (We put on one side the contention supported, in inter alia by Buitrago, Beckstead and Harry Bjerke (a B Judge) that Yang had the benefit of the error – a failure by AB Judges to deduct points for a gymnastic CAS 2004/A/704Yang Tae Young & KOC v. FIG, award of 21 October 2004 13 fault exceeding the stipulated number of pauses during his exercise [CP Article 42 5(9) Article44] as well as the burden of another – the misidentification of the proper start value, because CAS is in no position to adjudicate upon its merits). But the event was not a single apparatus event, but an all around one. After the parallel bars there was one more apparatus on which the competitors had to perform ie the high bar. We have no means of knowing how Yang would have reacted had he concluded the competition in this apparatus as the points leader rather than in third position. He might have risen to the occasion; he might have frozen (his marks on the high bar were in fact below expectation and speculation is inappropriate). So it needs to be clearly stated that while the error may have cost Yang a gold medal, it did not necessarily do so.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back