FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal) PART 2

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Wasn't that because that inquiry wasn't made in time either? So they upheld the original ranking.
At least in my interpretation, CAS dismissed Yang's appeal as being too late, like Ana's appeal should have been considered too late, but that's just me. I'm reading the Wikipedia section about the controversy and it sounds like CAS decided because the competition was over, Yang's parallel bars score couldn't be changed by appeal. Could you even appeal your score right after receiving it in 2004? Because Yang had high bar after parallel bars.

Last edited:
I mean, I know there have been several times that a referee made a call at the end of an NFL/NBA game that was controversial and the team benefiting from the call ended up winning. Sometimes they will come back and say that the call was incorrect and apologize for it, but they never change the outcome of the game. It sounds like Jordan has lost her case, but I'm surprised the powers that be want to set this precedent.

I mean, I know there have been several times that a referee made a call at the end of an NFL/NBA game that was controversial and the team benefiting from the call ended up winning. Sometimes they will come back and say that the call was incorrect and apologize for it, but they never change the outcome of the game. It sounds like Jordan has lost her case, but I'm surprised the powers that be want to set this precedent.
I’m not sure that CAS would have jurisdiction over a professional sports league.

Yeah, I mean, in 2004, they said no take backsies after the end of competition when the judges/officials screwed up, so what the hell is different now?

At least in my interpretation, CAS dismissed Yang's appeal as being too late, like Ana's appeal should have been considered too late, but that's just me. I'm reading the Wikipedia section about the controversy and it sounds like CAS decided because the competition was over, Yang's parallel bars score couldn't be changed by appeal. Could you even appeal your score right after receiving it in 2004? Because Yang had high bar after parallel bars.

Ana didn't have an inquiry on her routine.

In 2004 Yang Tae-Young didn't get his full start value on PB. He was on PB in the 5th rotation. They didn't submit an inquiry for his routine in the 5th rotation. They didn't even realize he wasn't given a 10 SV. They didn't try to submit an inquiry until after the 6th rotation, when the meet had ended. CAS rejected South Korea's appeal on the basis of the inquiry being submitted outside the window for inquiry, Yang Tae-Young's PB score remained unchanged.

The situation this week is similar because it also comes down to the timing of the inquiry. The Romanian Gymnastics Federation appealed to CAS that the American inquiry was made outside the inquiry window. CAS upheld that appeal, determining that it was made outside the window and declared the inquiry invalid, which put Chiles' score back to the original 13.677.

The second Romanian appeal to CAS was that the technology used to determine line deductions was faulty and resulted in a false OOB deduction on Sabrina Voinea's routine. That was rejected on the basis that Camelia Voinea didn't specifically inquire about the neutral deduction for OOB when she submitted an inquiry during the inquiry window.

Last edited:
There are video replays allowed in basketball.

Ana didn't have an inquiry on her routine.

In 2004 Yang Tae-Young didn't get his full start value on PB. He was on PB in the 5th rotation. They didn't submit an inquiry for his routine in the 5th rotation. They didn't even realize he wasn't given a 10 SV. They didn't try to submit an inquiry until after the 6th rotation, when the meet had ended. CAS rejected South Korea's appeal on the basis of the inquiry being submitted outside the window for inquiry, Yang Tae-Young's PB score remained unchanged.

The situation this week is similar because it also comes down to the timing of the inquiry. The Romanian Gymnastics Federation appealed to CAS that the American inquiry was made outside the inquiry window. CAS upheld that appeal, determining that it was made outside the window and declared the inquiry invalid, which put Chiles' score back to the original 13.677.

The second Romanian appeal to CAS was that the technology used to determine line deductions was faulty and resulted in a false OOB deduction on Sabrina Voinea's routine. That was rejected on the basis that Camelia Voinea didn't specifically inquire about the neutral deduction for OOB when she submitted an inquiry during the inquiry window.
I know Ana didn't have an inquiry on her routine. I'm saying that however the competition ended should stand in both cases. Like we're really going to take a medal away from a gymnast who didn't cheat?!?!? I'm sorry, but that just doesn't fly with me. And it really seems like this is because Paul is a white man and Jordan is a Black woman. I've never been so angry with gymnastics and the CAS.

Well, life goes on. Jordan is still an Olympic champion and Sabrina still has nothing.
Whoa whoa. Since when do we use the Skinner "third place olympic champion" phrasing?

There is ONE olympic champion and three medalists.

Jordan is an Olympic champion. World champion, too. Or, do we not count team?
I assumed we were talking about Jordan in the context of this EF, not just in general.

Somewhere either in this thread or the previous one there were a couple references to the medalists as "Olympic champions" which made me chuckle.

Did you miss that Schmina Schmogean was on the CAS panel?

No, in fact, we have a picture of her testifying.
image-jpg.8198

And it really seems like this is because Paul is a white man and Jordan is a Black woman. I've never been so angry with gymnastics and the CAS.

No.

It's because of inquiry times.

If you keep everything else the same but swap out Jordan Chiles with Jade Carey, Romania still appeals and the inquiry time is still 1:04. CAS still upholds the appeal based on the official timing provided by the FIG.

Paul's case from 20 years ago has nothing to do with this situation, other than they both concerned inquiry times and CAS was consistent in going strictly by the inquiry times in both cases.

No.

It's because of inquiry times.

If you keep everything else the same but swap out Jordan Chiles with Jade Carey, Romania still appeals and the inquiry time is still 1:04. CAS still upholds the appeal based on the official timing provided by the FIG.

Paul's case from 20 years ago has nothing to do with this situation, other than they both concerned inquiry times and CAS was consistent in going strictly by the inquiry times in both cases.
And CAS told Raducan rules were rules over a damn cold pill.

This is the same CAS that inexplicably decided Russia could have team figure skating bronze, even though decades of precedent has established that when one team member is guilty of cheating (or ineligible), the entire team is disqualified.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back