FX EF INQUIRY (Jordan Chiles Stripped Of Bronze Medal/USAG launches appeal) PART 2

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

The FIG is a disgrace but from what I've read, it seems like the IOC are the organisation refusing to grant multiple medals?
They aren’t “refusing”. They really can’t. It’s even more damaging to their integrity.

They cannot have Voinea in between 2 medalists

They aren’t “refusing”. They really can’t. It’s even more damaging to their integrity.

They cannot have Voinea in between 2 medalists
As I said, the elegant solution would be NOT to change Jordan's score. And then you have Voinea in 5th.
ETA: to admit they made mistake when they accepted the score too late, and since that mistake affected Barbosu, they will have her in 3rd place as well.
As for 'different scores (13.766 and 13.7) tied for 3rd' - again there is a precedent for it (2022 women ski cross)
ETA 2: I think it's FIG who changed the score, so it's on them.

Last edited:
But you can't really rule that the inquiry should not have been allowed due to a mistake in procedure then keep the score from the inquiry.
the problem is they did allow it. Judges mistake.
And that mistake directly affected Barbosu's standing.

The way they want to take Jordan's medal away from her - there is no precedent for it. She didn't do anything wrong.
Tying for a bronze when two competitors actually didn't achieve the same result - there indeed is a precedent.

Wow. BBC replays are available for 4 months, Eurosport for even longer. They only just took down the Toyko coverage in the last couple of months
I told you NBC sucks. It’s not like NBC is poor because they could afford rights for the Olympics in the first place. They don’t give a crap about gymnastics or figure skating.

I never got a chance to watch the first day of event finals because I was traveling back home and I had my first day of work today which is also the first day with no live Olympic coverage. It’s so frustrating.

the problem is they did allow it. Judges mistake.
And that mistake directly affected Barbosu's standing.

The way they want to take Jordan's medal away from her - there is no precedent for it. She didn't do anything wrong.
Tying for a bronze when two competitors actually didn't achieve the same result - there indeed is a precedent.
I would say having 3rd and 5th tie for bronze would be a new precedent.

I would say having 3rd and 5th tie for bronze would be a new precedent.
Again - what I am saying they didn't have to change Jordan's score. Admitting mistake = awarding another bronze to the gymnast who was directly affected by that mistake (Ana Barbosu).
I believe CAS made the decision and judged in Ana Barbosu favor, but IIRC it was up to FIG to make a decision about the score/medals.
And I am not saying it can happen NOW. I am saying they screwed up badly, when there was actually an elegant solution to clean the mess they made.

Again - what I am saying they didn't have to change Jordan's score. Admitting mistake = awarding another bronze to the gymnast who was directly affected by that mistake (Ana Barbosu).
I believe CAS made the decision and judged in Ana Barbosu favor, but IIRC it was up to FIG to make a decision about the score/medals.
And I am not saying it can happen NOW. I am saying they screwed up badly, when there was actually an elegant solution to clean the mess they made.
But they kinda did have to change the score once they ruled the inquiry wasn't allowed. There is no point making that ruling if they are then going to keep that score and amend something else.

Just a warning: there are only 3 hours left to watch Peacock WAG Paris replays.
Fun fact: I actually think Maneca-Voinea stepped OOB during quals, after her second pass. She didn't get ND, and it wouldn't have changed anything if she did (she would still make EF with 13.7, and we would still have 9-gymnasts FX EF with Barbosu and Kishi tied for 8th). But still, I think it's right thing to call OOB when in doubt.
(I am not proud of myself, but I admit I so enjoy the fact that old Voinea, whose hobby is to fill an inquiry after inquiry, couldn't do it right when it mattered).
I didn't realize we lost access to the replays so soon. That stinks.

But they kinda did have to change the score once they ruled the inquiry wasn't allowed. There is no point making that ruling if they are then going to keep that score and amend something else.
It was actually CAS, not FIG who decided on Jordan's score.
Which is weird, I thought they can't make this kind of decision? Like the can (as they did) decide in Barbosu's favor, but scores and placements should be up to FIG/IOC?
1723500731704.png

And here to the ski cross mess, copied from Wiki.
Nice to know FIG is not the only incompetent organization.

Bronze medal controversy​

Fanny Smith of Switzerland, the 2018 bronze medalist, initially crossed the line in third place and thought she had won the bronze medal. Daniela Maier of Germany finished fourth. However, following a 10-minute review by race judges, Smith was penalised for a clash with Maier, so at the awards ceremony on 17 February 2022, Maier was awarded the bronze.[2]

On 26 February 2022, after the end of the Olympic Games, following an appeal from Fanny Smith, the FIS Appeals Commission made the decision to overturn the FIS Jury decision.[3] As a result of winning the appeal, Smith was promoted to third place, while Maier officially finished in fourth place, which was reflected on the FIS website.[4]

FIS has no right to make a decision on the return and redistribution of medals, as this issue is in the exclusive competence of the IOC; therefore, in its decision, the FIS Appeals Commission did not mention any words about the medals and their redistribution, and the IOC has the last word on this issue.[5] On 13 December 2022, the Court of Arbitration for Sport decided both competitors will be awarded duplicate bronze medals and share third place.[6]

Here's a thought: the incorrect crediting of the gogean by the superior jury influenced CAS to use the time of the inquiry to return Jordan to her original score. Maybe or maybe the CAS verdict was as pure as the driven snow.

It was actually CAS, not FIG who decided on Jordan's score.
Which is weird, I thought they can't make this kind of decision? Like the can (as they did) decide in Barbosu's favor, but scores and placements should be up to FIG/IOC?
View attachment 11107
That makes complete sense.

CAS rules that the inquiry is invalid. So the FIG, in accordance with that decision, reverted the score to what it was before the inquiry was accepted. They then passed the buck to the IOC for what to do with the medals.

To act in line with what CAS had ruled, the FIG had to change the score. They couldn't keep the higher score after the ruling was made.

That makes complete sense.

CAS rules that the inquiry is invalid. So the FIG, in accordance with that decision, reverted the score to what it was before the inquiry was accepted. They then passed the buck to the IOC for what to do with the medals.

To act in line with what CAS had ruled, the FIG had to change the score. They couldn't keep the higher score after the ruling was made.
The court ordered them to change the score. It wasn't FIG decision to make, they had to comply.
I am not sure if CAS has the jurisdiction to change scores. I believe USAG is taking the case to the Supreme Court of Switzerland, so we'll see what happens.

The court ordered them to change the score. It wasn't FIG decision to make, they had to comply.
I am not sure if CAS has the jurisdiction to change scores. I believe USAG is taking the case to the Supreme Court of Switzerland, so we'll see what happens.
Yeah, I mean, in 2004, they said no take backsies after the end of competition when the judges/officials screwed up, so what the hell is different now?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back