Extremely Premature Olympic Team Predictions and Speculation

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Also the man who said a few years ago that he had no regrets about his coaching history…

Aren’t Humphrey and McCool the only Olympians to come from GAGE? Hardly Olympic glory… But when I used to coach in Missouri, I saw their legion of lower level gymnasts and realized that it’s really the only game in town when it comes to any kind of elite reputation.

Yep. 2 gymnasts, almost 20 years ago. But they’ve had enough gymnasts in the mix to keep them going since.

There definitely are some other top level gyms in the area though as quite a few gymnasts leave GAGE if they go back to L10 or decide not to pursue elite, on the basis that GAGE training fees are much more expensive.

Oh yes, definitely if you’re not aiming for elite there are lots of other gyms. I guess it’s just the only gym in the area that has any kind of national elite cache.

I don’t know if I should laugh or cry. This is on the GAGE website:

“I decided to build a platform to inspire, educate, elevate and change the culture of gymnastics to nurture a healthy learning and teaching environment for all gymnasts and coaches” – Coach Al Fong

In terms of results alone, GAGE have done well enough in the past couple of decades. They’ve had an athlete be at least alternate on the majority of major US teams, even post Athens. Obviously that only tells half the story, but there’s more than enough there to sell it to parents who want that and don’t care about the kill record.

Also yes, there’s no point trying to apply any kind of logic about reputation to Al Fong. Everything he’s involved in completely defies it.

Two gymnasts 20 years ago, one of whom got benched by Marta after qualifications.

And the fact Al Fong was allowed to continue with no sanctions or anything after having two gymnasts die (not to mention Don Peters having been an open secret) should tell everyone everything they need to know about USAG.

Last edited:
In terms of results alone, GAGE have done well enough in the past couple of decades. They’ve had an athlete be at least alternate on the majority of major US teams, even post Athens. Obviously that only tells half the story, but there’s more than enough there to sell it to parents who want that and don’t care about the kill record.
They also have tons of athletes that get NCAA scholarships.

GAGE will highly likely have an Olympian in Lynnzee Brown. Even if she doesn’t make it via the AA, she will likely get the tripartite invite as the only two countries eligible are Haiti and Iceland.
Lynnzee Brown 48.100 (also .4 ND)
Thelma Adalsteinsdottir 47.265 (.1 ND)
Margret Kristinsdottir 45.332 (.1 ND)

As long as Lynnzee hits her sets she should pass both of them.

I am not sure if Sri Lanka is still eligible as tripartite, they had 9 athletes in 2016 and 9 in 2020 so they average 9 athletes from the last two Olympics, which should mean that Sri Lanka isn’t eligible because it is supposed to be an average of 8 athletes or less from the last two Olympics, which grants eligibility.

If Sri Lanka is still eligible, Milka Gehani could end up with the tripartite slot. She had a 49.532 at the Asian Championships.

But Gehani and Brown could end qualifying through the AA.

We shall see.

Last edited:
You know he will try to control the process. It’s not all Armine!

Last edited:
LOL, no I read that as A.I. = Artificial Intelligence!!

Artificial Intelligence could probably do Armine’s choreography by now. After all, it’s been utterly interchangeable from gymnasts to gymnast for 25+ years now.

Last edited:
I started following gym in 2010. I think the last GAGE gymnast I allowed myself to care about was Dowell. So much squandered talent. And yeah, Wong and Eaker are lovely but I’ve never been into the GAGE choreo. Not on floor and not on beam for that matter

I don’t know, Eaker has something special on beam.

Otherwise, I agree. It’s such a waste to train these athletes to have such great quality of movement, and then do nothing with it.

That’s one job I wouldn’t object to the machines taking. The big question is though, could it choose skills as badly as Al does?

I find eakers quality of movement on beam exceptional and a breath of fresh air. Surely it was at some level a product of GAGE though?? Is this not a (perhaps rare) example of something they helped create that was beautiful?

I agree. I don’t know that her choreography always showed off her ability. She is exceptional, dweiss324 so true

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back