Extremely Premature Olympic Team Predictions and Speculation

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

What is the qualifying score to Nationals for one event? A solid DTY could be Biles’ ticket and all she needs. I remember reading in 2012 that Komova resumed vault and floor training in mid-May, two months prior to the London Games. So I’d think Biles could feasibly vault her way to Nats

Senior Women
Simone Biles
Skye Blakely
Charlotte Booth
Jade Carey
Dulcy Caylor
Jordan Chiles
Chloe Cho
Melanie de Jesus dos Santos
Kayla DiCello
Leigh Anne Elliott
Madray Johnson
Katelyn Jong
Levi Jung-Ruivivar
Avery King
Sunisa Lee
Myli Lew
Kaliya Lincoln
Nola Matthews
Zoe Miller
Avery Moll
Ella Murphy
Brooke Pierson
Michelle Pineda
Joscelyn Roberson
Paloma Spiridonova
Ashlee Sullivan
Tiana Sumanasekera
Brynn Torry
Leanne Wong
Kelise Woolford
Lexi Zeiss
Alicia Zhou

(Gabby Douglas is not on the roster)

There isn’t a 1 event score. Or at least it’s not published. But Simone could probably do a fairly basic floor routine and still achieve the 2 event score.

Gotcha, thanks RedBirdie. What is the 2 event score? I’d presume around a 25.5/26?

So excited to see MDJDS on the list!! Also curious to see what Kaliya Lincoln does; she has been training big tumbles for quite some time now

Biles, Lee, Chiles, Carey, Wong, DiCello, and Blakely all competing… And then at Nats, add Jones and McClain to the mix… this is feeling like 2012, where there are clear standouts but a handful of gymnasts could make the team or be alternates or left home entirely

I wonder about McClain. To the best of my knowledge, she’s not qualified to nationals. Maybe she verified at a camp (although she’s be injured nonstop since nationals), or she plans to petition. But it feels like a curious decision to not do any events at Classics.

Yeah you’d think, or even 13.2 on two. I would be amazed if Simone couldn’t do a good DTY pretty soon after a return to serious training so that’s halfway there.

Eta- also I’m in no way saying this would be necessary, but if the situation were looking borderline, it would be in the interests of all parties for Simone not to be tightly scored.

Last edited:
Was thinking the same, but she did attend the July 2022 camp and it’s possible she verified AA there. They allow for camp scores from the 2nd half of the previous season.

Though she missed classics (end of July) due to stress fractures and a concussion, so it’s just as possible she didn’t verify AA at that camp. I imagine she must be qualified if she’s skipping classic, or they’re being cautious with her return to competition and hoping to petition. Regardless of whether she’s already qualified to nationals, it’s nice to see that Pacific Reign’s not rushing her back to competition.

With Biles, Carey, Chiles, and Lee in the picture (as well as Jones, Wong, Blakely, DiCello), I don’t think people have to be concerned about Roberson making the World and Olympic teams. Of course, unless injuries.

She’d have a pretty clear case to petition given what she’s said about her injuries–she’s definitely had significant injuries that have disrupted her training schedule. My question is if she’ll be healthy enough to compete

If she stuck that, I am sure judges would give it a 10.0 E

If she stuck that, I am sure judges would give it a 10.0 E
There’s still .1 form to take. At this moment I feel like the Olympic team is going to be Simone Biles, Suni Lee, Shilese Jones, Jordan Chiles, Jade Carey.

My hope is Leanne Wong and Gabby Douglas over the last two though. Jordan doesn’t have an event that gives the team a significant score advantage and Jade’s overscored Cheng…should stop being overscored. Leanne at perfect health and with well designed routines should be 2nd best on Floor and a top Beam competitor. Gabby can be a star on Bars.

This is obviously the A team. The B team is insanely strong though: Wong, DiCello, Blakely, Roberson, Miller. (Not including McClain because who knows what’s happening there.)

I wonder what being alternates a second time would feel like for Wong and DiCello, but I don’t see either of them with a strong enough event(s) to replace any of Biles, Lee, Chiles, Jones, or Carey.

But if someone becomes invaluable on bars and beam and is not named Sunisa Lee (ahem Gabby Douglas?) then this team gets stronger by dropping Carey or Chiles.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back