British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

If I might drag this thread away from actual gymnastics and back to gossiping and social media, Amelie's posted a thank you message to David on her twitter stories, overnight.

I didn't see it, but I'm told her mum has been liking tweets saying Amelie should've been selected for Euros and was on the highest scoring team.

I wish they would actually expose the people who pushed her away, that way things could be brought to light and change could happen. Is there anything to lose at this point?

If I might drag this thread away from actual gymnastics and back to gossiping and social media, Amelie's posted a thank you message to David on her twitter stories, overnight.

I didn't see it, but I'm told her mum has been liking tweets saying Amelie should've been selected for Euros and was on the highest scoring team.
Her mum liked this tweet.

I think Morgan definitely made a case for going there, and her solidity on beam was evidently missed in qualifying. But with the absence of Ondine, GB only had two DTYs (not that Martin's is good) and could really do with another countable floor. While her beam was clearly missed, Morgan would only make the lineup on one event. I think BG could also argue that Morgan only dropped in for the last of the selection events and wasn't outstanding enough to make up for it.

I'm sure BG handled it terribly, as they always do, but I'm not sold on her non-selection being a big issue.

Agree, Martin over Morgan makes sense given the gaps. Euros also has “longer term aims of the world class programme and/or multi cycle Olympic potential” as the lowest priority factor in the criteria. That’s obviously advantage to Martin.

Interestingly the Paris procedures don’t have that line, but Tokyo definitely had something similar.

Agree, Martin over Morgan makes sense given the gaps. Euros also has “longer term aims of the world class programme and/or multi cycle Olympic potential” as the lowest priority factor in the criteria. That’s obviously advantage to Martin.

Interestingly the Paris procedures don’t have that line, but Tokyo definitely had something similar.
They've still got the principle but added an extra hoop to jump through if they want to use it.

If a sufficient number of athletes don't hit the performance standard scores, they can consider athletes who haven't met them due to injury etc. One of the factors they can take into account is the longer term direction of the programme.

Doesn't define sufficient, and the performance standards can be changed!

Interestingly, that does apply now. Or would if they had anyone. Only two athletes currently available for selection have met the beam performance standard, and it'll stay that way after this weekend because Becky's D score isn't high enough. Two clearly can't be sufficient when they need three, so the box is ticked. Interesting to speculate on whether they'd try and bring Jen in, if she were far enough along in her recovery to look like she'd be reliably landing beam dismounts by August.

Last edited:
Very interesting. It’s been a while since I looked at that section and could be a route in for Jenn as a reserve. I wonder if they’ll send one of the Ropers to Varna in place of Morgan.

Very interesting. It’s been a while since I looked at that section and could be a route in for Jenn as a reserve. I wonder if they’ll send one of the Ropers to Varna in place of Morgan.
The men have the same provision in theirs too. Not sure when it was drafted, but both were published in March 2023, when they'd have known about Jen, Joe and Giarnni all potentially having a long road back from injury. I wonder if it was written with them in mind.

Hope the Ropers get something before Paris. Just in case!

Yes I'm hoping on Ruby Stacy and a Roper being reserves. However the Roper twins are so up and coming we need to get them out in a world cup and soon.

Amelie Morgan was due to go to Varna. I wonder if they’ll replace her with one of the Roper twins

Reactions: Bob
That would work as Ruby has recently done one. Perhaps they could send them together. Loving the twins thing in GB. We also have up and coming twins in Aspire level. The Cannings. Very promising.

Post WAG Euros reflection

Kinsella: Still improving and converts more fans at every comp. It was great to see her have some better floor double pike landings (higher chest) and that new floor is growing on me. Wrap her in cotton wool after some stick drills. Wonder if she's still going to train the Amanar for AA or if they'll play safe and abandon it given everything.

GMF: I'm glad falling in touch warm ups stresses her less than it does me! Lovely to see her medal on bars. Nothing they've tried so far has helped anyone be confident in GMF on beam. I wonder if she'd be better off following Becky's strategy on beam and doing something really simple for a "guaranteed" high 12. GB have lost too many gymnasts so they won't be able to compete on difficulty, should they go for a stability strategy on beam?

Downie: Much kudos for hitting that bar routine today. It's a darn shame GB are in the first subdivision and she won't know which routine she might need to qualify. I started welling up during her interview when she was asked if that beam routine was her last Euros routine. I've been watching her longer than I watched Beth, her retirement is going to hit hard.

Evans: Hopefully she'll get credit for DTY amplitude in Paris. Stick drills for the next 82 days. Fall aside I was quite impressed with her composure on beam.

Martin: Get her to choreography bootcamp. Her music is a bit bleh for my tastes but there's potential there to sell it more and improve the weaker sections. Reduce beam and bars time and put it into getting the DTY consistent and working on floor landings/dance.

Forgot to say that I was impressed with how Martin performed across the championships. Probably because Matt said it twenty odd times! Quite something to go from breakout first year senior at the British to probable Olympian. Imagine her household the day Morgan withdrew from consideration.

That went pretty well, in the circumstances.

I was impressed at Alice steadying the ship on beam in qualifying. She was obviously hugely nervous, but delivered anyway. I know she's said in the past that getting into her own head can be the problem sometimes. Maybe going out with half an hour's notice and hitting cold in a worlds AA helped her there? It's an interesting point about the Amanar @RAFIKI.

GMF falling on something is just baked in at this point. As long as it's only once, it isn't the end of the world. Maybe the bars bronze will give her more confidence.

Ruby was solid. The beam fall isn't ideal but it's also not her role in the team at the mo, and it looks like the problem of the 3rd is solved anyway. Maybe her beam is something that can be developed next quad. Nice debut from Abi too. Has any footage of her DTY in prelims turned up yet?

And Becky! I did not foresee her finishing her career as a rock on beam. But both of those sets were incredibly solid, and, crucially, she looked very confident with them. So often, you can tell from looking at Becky before the routine how it's going to go (see also, bars final). It was obviously a good choice for her to choose a simpler set she can hit cold. Also serves as more evidence that BG's performance standards including a minimum D score is stupid.

Jess Gadirova posted what she's working on 5 months after surgery.

As it relates to Asia D'amato apparently being rushed back, notice how Jess apparently isn't even allowed to push off her leg to do a split leap yet. They're really taking this slow.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back