British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

The WAG and MAG teams have now been decided (nomination meeting today and yesterday). The gymnasts will be told on Friday and the appeals window was recently extended to the 30th for WAG (presumably because of the bank holiday that BG might have forgotten about when they wrote the document last year). I can't find the current MAG procedures to see if they also extended the MAG appeals window. MAG is more likely to be controversial and see an appeal given the WAG team has selected itself by the classic "those left standing" methodology.

Emily Roper is at Varna in Morgan's place.

The reserves will probably come from Mali Morgan, Ruby Stacey and Emily Roper. The selection rules don’t specify the number, it’s up to the panel. I wonder if they’ll have a travelling reserve (didn’t for Rio) given how close Paris is.

Emily is competing at the Varna World Cup. Obviously not in the selection policy, but wonder if they are considering bending the rules (I don’t doubt BG) as Ruby Stacey is the only clear reserve imo.

I’d be very surprised if there are travelling alternates for GB given the proximity, and once prelims have started they can’t be used anyway.

In previous years, the wag and mag alternates were put up in a hotel near Heathrow and trained at Heathrow gymnastics club. So that they could fly out very quickly if needed

Emily is competing at the Varna World Cup. Obviously not in the selection policy, but wonder if they are considering bending the rules (I don’t doubt BG) as Ruby Stacey is the only clear reserve imo.
Does the selection policy cover the appointing of reserve athletes?

Does the selection policy cover the appointing of reserve athletes?
It’s says during the selection process, but I guess they’ll go from multiple factors rather than results, as there isn’t a lot of results from potential reserves. Emily is also
Mid alevels, so there’s is defo some reasoning in her competing this week
IMG_4166.jpeg

I don’t think anyone else has effectively trialed. The alternate will be selected from someone who didn’t complete the selection process! I think they’ll name 2 alternates though.
In theory, one doesn't have to formally compete in the selection process as such. The petition would allow for someone who's not competed at any of the DSEs to send video of routines to the panel and be assessed privately. If that were happening, no reason we'd know about it at this stage. Obviously in practice, they don't have anyone in that position. I suspect it was written with Jen in mind, and she's just back off holiday from Italy!

On the subject of reserves, the various home nations championships earlier this year are all DSEs. I think everyone who might be chosen has done at least one.

Seems like Emily Roper picked up an injury in Varna. GBR seem to be running out of options for reserve gymnasts. I’m trying to thin who is left. Maybe Mail Morgan, Ruby Stacey or Abigail Roper?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back