2023 World Qualification Status and Named Teams

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Matthews adds about 1/2 a point over Carey on UB.

and @makam I don’t have all of Roberson/Sumanasekera/Carey on the Pan Ams team. Of those three, one of them should be Worlds alternate

Sounds like NL will announce their team on Tuesday. Will be interesting to see if Sanne makes it. They already had 2 qualification meets, she only competed bars and beam and had bad second meet (three falls total). Source: https://twitter.com/dutchgymnerd
Qual meet results (first was Sept 2, second Sept 16, same source)

ETA: there are also videos available on youtube, this channel https://www.youtube.com/@Dutchgymnerd

Last edited:
They need Sanne’s UB and BB scores to help them qualify to Paris.

I thin the team is Thorsdottir, Veerman, Visser, Wevers, Van pol with Volleman as alternate.
Although having Veerman and Wevers on the same team is scary for vault and floor.

Too bad about Geurts because I think she could have been a valuable member of the team

Last edited:
Sounds like Elze Geurtz had some stomach problems that prevented her to finish the second meet. She didn’t finish the floor and didn’t do vault.
So, she is not injured. She’s probably NL strongest vaulter right now, and won bars as well the first time when Sanne was 4th. So with her vault and UB scores, she might be more valuable that Sanne.

I love Elze, but she is not more valuable than Sanne. Beam has proven over and over to be the most important, if not deciding event in the teamcompetitions. If you have someone who scores 13+ WITH a fall and has the potential to score 14+ with a fairly normal routine, you don’t leave her at home. Vera and Sanna are much less reliable on beam and on top will score 12,500 max with a hit routine. It would really be foolish to leave Sanne home.

Plus, it’s not really fair to put a lot of weight on ONE hit UB routine from Elze instead of hundreds of high BB scores from Sanne. It’s really a shame Elze was sick on the second qualification. With another hit she maybe would have taken Sanna’s or Vera’s spot. (I’d still rather take her over Vera, but I know that won’t happen).

So I agree with the earlier mentioned team: Naomi is a lock, Eythora might as well be a lock too, especially with her dty. They will take Vera for VT and her consistency as a whole and Sanna made a really good case for herself on bars. Would be even more clear if Sanna could get her 1,5y back before worlds.

Wevers’ track record is pretty good but I don’t think she has broken 14+ this quad, not even domestically. Maybe I’m wrong. I don’t see her scoring 13+ with a fall

She has scored 14 at Dutch nationals, but 13.8 is her highest international score (from a sample of two).

They’re probably taking two from Wevers, Veerman and Geurts, who are all basically being selected for one event. Wevers does have a potentially useful bars routine but she hasn’t hit bars in competition since 2019.

The thing I would count against Wevers is that high beam scores are just so much more unlikely to come off when it matters than vault, and to a lesser extent bars though Veerman isn’t particularly consistent there. But I doubt they leave Sanne at home so I think it will be her and Veerman (who’s case is considerably aided by Geurts not finishing the trial and Wevers’ bars disaster)

I agree it’s between those three, but I disagree about Wevers. I agree that beam is not the highest scoring event, but it is the most likely to turn into a meltdown, routine wise and score wise. It’s a huge asset to be fairly consistent on beam.

Villa is out of worlds. I think Italy were doing the name six choose later approach so that’s that.

Google translate: Hello friends!
With great regret today I am here to tell you that unfortunately I will not be able to take part in the world championships… unfortunately, as you well know, my physical situation in the past few weeks was not the best and this is the reason why I will not be able to leave!
I will take these months to heal and fix my back as best as possible and then get back on track next year!
There aren’t many things to say…words are few, it’s tough and I’m sorry because I really put my all into being there but this definitely won’t stop me, in fact it will give me the strength to come back stronger!
I don’t give up!:muscle:t3:

See you soon…❤️
your Giorgio!

I don’t follow the Italians that closely, but it feels like nearly every top name besides Alice is out.

Not far off. Asia, again. Plus Villa and Maggio. Incredible to think that in summer 2022, they were genuine world title contenders. Should still qualify comfortably to Paris, of course, but what might have been.

I know there was a big to do with the Dutch federation. What the status on Leike? Is she retired, training, or what?

She’s back already. Started teaining about 1-2 months ago I think, may be earlier. She hasn’t made any official anouncements (yet), but it’s possible she’s aiming for Paris.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back