2023 World Qualification Status and Named Teams

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Mine too but if Chiles has a rough selection, I think sending her to PanAms with some of the on the fringe gymnasts to see if she handles being (likely) team leader and competing well wouldn’t be a bad choice.

Is it five for PanAms too? Every team I was trying to put together after my Worlds team is pretty empty on UB.

The story about it mentions the qualification routes next year, but yes she almost certainly won’t make it to Paris now

Not sure what the injury is - Google translate (which I’m not sure is very good for Finnish) is telling me it’s nothing major but requires surgery and months of rehab?

Finland still have a chance of getting someone qualified in WAG, most likely Kaia Tanskanen (who trains in the US).

Mine too but if Chiles has a rough selection, I think sending her to PanAms with some of the on the fringe gymnasts to see if she handles being (likely) team leader and competing well wouldn’t be a bad choice.
Pretty sure Chiles was team captain at Worlds last year.

Is it five for PanAms too? Every team I was trying to put together after my Worlds team is pretty empty on UB.
A Pan Ams team of DiCello, Carey, Miller, Lincoln, Sumanasekera/Roberson would be fine on UB in TF. It wouldn’t be great but the other events are well covered

I was putting both Roberson and Sumanasekera on my team along with Lincoln and DiCello and maybe Carey (depending on how she is looking). You gotta admit that is team with a UB problem.

ETA: should we move this to another thread?

Last edited:
Yeah, choosing between Sumanasekera/Roberson/Lincoln for the 3rd UB spot is asking for trouble in a 3 up 3 count scenario, but they can rest on Brazil not having enough depth to send a different team to Pan Ams if they want to challenge the US. If Brazil chooses to rest Andrade, which I think they should with Paris in mind, then the US can still win despite a 9.9 on bars.

Brazil would be out of its mind sending Andrade and Saraiva to Pan Ams given their injury history. I think the US shouldn’t worry about a 3rd bars score but rather give opportunities to gymnasts who would down the road benefit from the experience.

For U.S. Worlds Selection Camp, is it again going to be AA on the first day of competition and then 2 events on the second day of competition?

And will it be the selection committee choosing which 2 events to do, or will the gymnasts and their coaches have input? Regardless, I imagine it will probably be most gymnasts doing bars and beam as their two events.

Yeah, I totally agree. It depends on whether they’re willing to stomach a potentially medalless Pan Ams in return for a successful Olympics for Saraiva/Andrade. Without those two, I think Mexico/Canada could keep them off the team podium, and Soares’ beam is probably their best shot individually.

A Pan Ams team of DiCello, Carey, Miller, Lincoln, Sumanasekera/Roberson would be fine on UB in TF. It wouldn’t be great but the other events are well covered
Carey, Lincoln, and Roberson won’t be on the same team.
Nola Matthews would likely be on this team along with Miller for bars. DiCello makes sense as she can be used on all 4.

Korea confirmed teams

That is the best WAG team they have ever put out on the floor. I do think Korea will qualify a full team to Paris, which would be exciting as they last qualified as a team in 1988.

Brazil (no big surprises): Rebeca Andrade, Flávia Saraiva, jade barbosa, Lorrane Oliveira, Júlia Soares And Carollyne Pedro

I cant understand what is the deal with Pedro. I mean she doesnt add anything to this team And Andreza lima had much better presentation at nationals.

I can’t seem to find the picture on that website, but with the injury bug wreaking havoc the last couple of weeks, I’m a bit worried that they’re not sending an alternate. It doesn’t seem like they have a potential 6th gymnast strong enough to step in, but it wouldn’t hurt to have a backup.

Last edited:
USA:

IMG_8030

IMG_8031

Twitter thread about Derwael’s injury here. Sounds like surgery is likely which would take her out of World Cups next spring, even if she might (just) be recovered by Paris

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back