2023 World Qualification Status and Named Teams

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I hate this. Italy is like the new Russia in terms of athlete mismanagement, except that I haven’t built up the thick skin of cynicism about them yet. They’re perennial heartbreakers.

The sports culture here in Russia is still very Soviet. The concept of the individual is actively discouraged and everyone is working together towards one goal. We want an Olympic champion and it does not matter who. I never thought I’d be quoting Abby Lee Miller when describing Russian sports cultural, but everyone is replaceable. That is the sort of attitude that most sports are run on. Not everyone is supposed to make it to top senior level. Individual goals of less than that aren’t really catered to. Eteri is not going to keep you on because your dream is Disney On Ice.

It’s why figure skaters are one of our main exports. Gas, Oil, Figure Skaters.

It’s an odd mentality. Sure, everyone is replacable, but the more people you burn out, the fewer options you have for that Olympic champion. I guess they subscribe to the Karolyi philosophy that the best people are those who can take the heaviest beating without breaking?

It’s about time and resources. It’s a completely different environment to where the athlete and their family are paying customers. In WAG and MAG, it’s not as emotionally brutal as the Karolyi regime, but in RG and FS, it’s probably even worse.

I’ve always thought of Abby Lee Miller as spiritually Russian.

This is somewhat of a fascinating attitude to take given how surprisingly little depth Russia has always had in WAG. Other than maybe 2010-2012, there has never really been a robust bench after so many juniors have met their demise. How many times did they have to trot Nabieva out to pick a wedgie on the vault runway and vault a skanky DTY to salvage a team bronze because there weren’t enough warm bodies?

With such a pipeline of figure skaters and Rhythmic Gymnasts, it certainly makes sense. I know WAG is not nearly as venerated of a sport, but it’s quite an interesting perspective.

This is somewhat of a fascinating attitude to take given how surprisingly little depth Russia has always had in WAG. Other than maybe 2010-2012, there has never really been a robust bench after so many juniors have met their demise.
Right now!! The depth has been insane post Tokyo, especially with the juniors who are being paced very well

There is not much depth at all at the moment. If you look at the gymnasts born 1989-1992, that was insane depth. Likewise with the 1993-1996 cohort.

The first group included Lozhechko, Klyukina, Zmeu, Ivanova, Pravdina, Grudko, Kazantseva, Isaeva, Donodina, Kramarenko, Polyan, Elizarova, Afanasyeva, Myasnikova, Kokareva, Chikhireva, Sosnovtseva, Sazonova, Goryunova and Semenova.

The latter Myzdrikova, Dementyeva, Paseka, Mustafina, Nabieva, Solovyeva, Kurbatova, Komova, Grishina, Inshina and Belokobylskaya

Last edited:
Spain
Ana Perez, Alba Petisco, Laura Casabuena, Sara Pinilla, Laia Masferrer, Laia Source
The alternate has not been named yet.

Has Ukraine MAG named their team already? Anxiously awaiting Oleg’s comeback! Also curious to see if Pahkniuk is back on the team.

WAG Belgium
Maellyse Brassart
Fien Enghels
Erika Pinxten
Yléa Tollet
Jutta Verkest
alt: Margaux Dandois

Last edited:
Oleg is eligible again for completion?
He originally had a 4 year ban from November 2020- November 2024, given by the FIG, meaning he would miss Paris.
He appealed to the Court of Arbitration of Sports and his December 2022 hearing, the CAS reduced his ban by 2 years. So that meant that he was suspended from November 2020-Novemeber 2022 meaning that he could compete immediately.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back