2023 European Gymnastics Championship, April 11-16 Antalya, Turkey

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

What does it mean for Becky in the bigger picture? She’s competitive on bars at European level, but bear in mind no Derwael. But is she worth taking to worlds? Even a hit routine from her is no certainty of making finals. How important is her bars in team final, I guess is the question. That GB is now a medal contender falls in her favour. You don’t take someone for a big score on 1 event when you’re finishing 5th. You do when you’re contesting a medal

How in the world did Jessica Gadirova score 5.7 D / 7.833 E on BB? She had no Dance CR (clear loss of balance between the Straddle + Wolf), so her D Score is 0.5 too high.

As far as execution, I had her at 6.20 (-3.70 in execution, -0.10 in artistry). It’s bad enough a routine with a Korbut, Wolf Turn, and Split Jump like that can earn a European AA title, but if it is scoring a 7.833 E, I suppose technically proficient sets are getting into the 9’s now on BB?
  • Switch + Switch 1/2 + Korbut (-1.20) for: lack of rhythm in connection (-0.10 *2), lack of height (-0.10 *3), body shape (-0.30 - Switch 1/2), bent arms (-0.10), use of side surface for additional support (-0.30)
  • Wolf 3/1 (-0.40?) for: excessive arm-swing (-0.10) and, I have no idea what the current criteria are for wolf turn deductions, lack of control and precision and deviation from technical perfection (-0.30 or more).
  • Aerial + Split Jump (-0.80) for: lack of rhythm in connection (-0.10), lack of height (-0.10), body shape (-0.30), balance (-0.30).
  • Straddle Jump + Wolf Jump (-0.30) for: adjustment (-0.10), body shape (-0.10 minimum - bad angle), balance (-0.10)
  • Choreography before BHS + LSO (-0.10) for: balance (-0.10)
  • BHS + LSO (-0.30) for: bent arms (-0.10), flexed feet (-0.10), balance (-0.10)
  • Side Aerial (-0.10) for: balance (-0.10)
  • DMT (-0.50) for: adjustment (-0.10), pause (-0.10), flexed feet (-0.10), squat (-0.10), hop (-0.10)
Her choreography and mobility are lovely; but, she’s lucky there aren’t more defined “holistic” deductions to take, because if possible, I’d take -0.30 > -0.50 off the end for the fact that literally not 1 skill was performed with maximum height, completely straight legs, or totally pointed toes.

She’s been tested by multiple international FIG panels across multiple FIG competitions, and you claim a 1.5 point less in execution from the FIG panels. Perhaps your attempted judging is way off rather she being overscored by > 2 point?

I think her ongoing chances depend a lot on the Gadirovas.

It’s not good for Becky in the long run that Jess looks so improved on bars, particularly if she can get more consistent. Changes the equation.

However, Jen is looking quite uncertain. Her claim to the team last year was similar to Becky’s, except bars is a weaker piece for GB than floor. I think at present, GB will always use the core five if they can and in any situation where it’s Jen or someone else, I’d expect it to be Jen. But, well, she’s not been on an upward trajectory lately has she? So it also depends what happens there.

There is also the issue of Becky staying healthy in a selection process that isn’t liable to do a frequently injured veteran any favours. The timing of this Euros was quite fortunate for her, as in a weird way was the fact that she got injured out so early last year.

How in the world did Jessica Gadirova score 5.7 D / 7.833 E on BB? She had no Dance CR (clear loss of balance between the Straddle + Wolf), so her D Score is 0.5 too high.
I said that during the all around that I wasn’t sure how they got so high for Jess, despite losing little for artistry.

I had a mid 7 for Gadirova’s beam, but the D score is perplexing.

Downie shouldn’t bring the Hindorff back, it is caught too low without enough counter-rotation, and caught w bent arms. One of the few Shap + Tkachev variation combos being done that incurs more deductions than it is worth

I never tire of D’Amato’s Downie + Bhardwaj

I actually quite like watching it, in a how does she crank that safely round way, but yeah there is no way that’s worth doing.

Last edited:
My scores for bars EF (actual E score in brackets):

visser 5.8 (6.1)

Zoja 8.0 (7.933)

Kovacs 7.6 (7.733)

Villa 8.6 (8.266)

Downie 8.1 (7.933)

Vaelen 7.7 (7.933)

D’Amato 8.1 (8.266) I didn’t deduct cowboy as not visible from the side

Seitz 8.0 (8.1)

Becky seemed to get hammered on E score
Personally I think they’re going ham on her Hindorff. They’ve obviously nitpicked it in slomo at some FIG judges conference and now they just all blindly take 3 for height and 3 for bent arms. Justified, really. She needs to nix it. We aren’t in 1992 barcelona anymore.

Last edited:
She can replace the Hindorff by Geinger or tkachev. She still gets 0.2 cv but perhaps less deduction in execution.

Maybe in the back of the mind is the goal to connect Hindorff - Pak - Van Leeuwen.
Connecting a Gienger from the Maloney puts her in the wrong direction and doing a Tkatchev might not be any better than the Hindorff, for, as with the clear circle, she can at least get up over the bar.

Even if she can connect maloney(?)-hindorff-pak-van leeuwen, she’s still going to get so hammered on that hindorff that its just not worth doing. Maybe maloney-stalder-hindorff-pakxvan leeuwen would work? Lose a little connection bonus, hopefully drastically reduce the execution errors.

I’d say Georgias place on the team is more at risk, despite making the AA final

She only contributed 13.933 to the team total. I can see either Ruby E, Jennifer or Poppy making the team over her. Especially Ruby at the moment as she can contribute a DTY and a high floor score. This would also allow Ondine to do AA

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back