2022 World Gymnastics Championships WAG All Around Final (Thursday 11/03)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

that the casual viewer can perceive seems worse than a routine like Jade’s, which ultimately scored 6 tenths lower. But it’s actually not. I’m OK with it.
Lots of people on Facebook didn’t know that there is an artistry checklist now for beam and floor and that the judging is getting stricter with artistry components. Also the casual viewer doesn’t understand D score.
So Jade seems “robbed” when she “hit” her routine, not knowing that there is a difference in D score but also artistry also reflects execution score.

I didn’t realize that Kinsella (?) had such rabid fans. Like, it is a judged sport. A bit here, a bit there, benefit to the gymnast and you beat someone by a toenail. It wasn’t like she fell five times and still medaled (which I still wouldn’t have been upset about if she had the skills of Simone). (though kill that UB transition with fire, puh-leeze).

ETA: and uh, I didn’t realize her final pass was a pike? (oh, nm, that was for BB, not FX, geez.)

Last edited:
Yes, that is what I was remembering. Didn’t know that the tides had turned. Hope none of it is spilling over to the actual gymnasts.

To be honest, based on my own viewpoint from judging live with them this week, I don’t think they’re taking as much artistry as had been threatened. It’s in line with last year.

Last edited:
This is what I liked as well. I’ve actually didn’t notice the Gadirova overscore. I was just thrilled to see so many gymnasts hitting to the best of their abilities. I’m also happy to see a podium of gymnasts who are both powerful and artistic.

The gymternet can be weirdly and sometimes arbitrarily fickle. I hope the gymnasts don’t pick up on these shifts in public opinion.

To be honest, based on my own viewpoint from judging live with them this week, I don’t think they’re taking as much artistry as had been threatened. It’s in line with last year.
The routines on average have been trying harder to have choreography that doesn’t get deducted, so that probably helps. Jordan’s routine is much better this year than last year.

Jordan’s routine is much better this year than last year.
She took out a whole pass; one that was giving her 4-6 tenths in deductions. That’s why her E Panel has gone up. From 7.7ish in Tokyo to 8.2ish in Liverpool.

Last edited:
GMF had an even bigger wobble-converted into an arm wave on her wolf turn in TF. She was facing away from most of the arena (inc our seats) so the replay garnered quite the gasp when we all saw how close she was to touching the beam.

Last edited:
It sounds like everyone was on the same feed, but you had ads? Visser appeared twice (BB and FX) on the BBC. Having actually counted them (on a rewatch because I missed the first 1.5 rotations), they showed all the routines for the top 9 finishers, and three each for D’Amato, Godwin, Kuusikko and Casabuena. 65 routines total including 18 vaults, 17 bars, 16 beam and 14 floors. Not much standing around at all.

Last edited:
She took out a whole pass; one that was giving her 4-6 tenths in deductions. That’s why her E Panel has gone up. From 7.7ish in Tokyo to 8.2ish in Liverpool.
Right, but the point is if her presentation hadn’t improved, the E-score would be lower than what she’s currently getting. There have been reports of a full 1.0 in artistry deduction being given this season, and not just to bottom barrel competitors.

Last edited:
There have been reports of a full 1.0 in artistry deduction being given this season
Right. And my point is that these “reports” ended up being just that. Artistry at Worlds is being evaluated pretty much identically as per the last Code.

Last edited:
if her presentation hadn’t improved, the E-score would be lower than what she’s currently getting
Not necessary. I’ve explained to you why her D Score is higher, and it’s got nothing to do with any improvement in presentation.

Not as far as I know. The timing was probably bad for getting any videos from the audience, unless you can see her in the background of a floor routine.

Right. And my point is that these “reports” ended up being just that. Artistry at Worlds is being evaluated pretty much identically as per the last Code.
It’s “being evaluated identically” because the dancing has improved while the judging standard has simultaneously become more critical. If Jordan did her current technical content, but with last year’s level of artistry, she absolutely would be scoring lower.

Her artistry last year was maybe 0.3 off in artistry. This year, probably 0.2, maybe 0.1. It’s not that deep.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back