2021 American Classic (Suni Lee, Grace McCallum, Kara Eaker, + more competing)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Yes, I don’t suppose we’d all be as frustrated if the raw material weren’t so obviously there. Eaker had the talent and skills to be a double world beam champion, and to be going into the Olympics as a frontrunner for the individual spot. Yet here we all are.

Eaker should literally have kept her 2019 floor routine. The one she did at Worlds Trials was fantastic!

@Doug1233 - the 3 1/2 twist would not be downgraded as long as the rotation of the front tuck has been initiated even with a fall or failure to land first. The 3 1/2 twist would be downgraded if she did something like fall forward to the floor in a prone position immediately after punching for the front tuck.

Thanks

What if she goes for a punch front but lands in prone? Ha

Is this nugget in the Help Desk again?

Yes, on page 29 of the Help Desk. While this isn’t explicitly stated, my guess would be that the gymnast needs to be at a minimum fully inverted for the rotation to be considered to be initiated.

I had Suni’s beam an 8.4 E. she would have won Euros. INCLUDING without the dismount.

I’m serious when I say that she doesn’t need to dismount on beam to make it to Tokyo. Given that it’s worth 3 tenths (counting an A and not a D), she should LITERALLY keep the layout and save her ankles. She could easily take a tenth for a pause, a tenth for feet, and a tenth for a step, if she put the double tuck back in.

I’m not joking. Suni - keep the layout. Maybe make it higher, and work on a stick. In this Code, anything less than an F dismount on beam is simply not worth doing. Especially when you’re injured, and when you hate beam dismounts (she’s said on multiple occasions that beam dismounts are her least fav skill).

Last edited:
What’s the next competition to look forward to for the US? Is it just Nats/Trials/Olympics or is there something else before all that?

I guess NT camp is this weekend - wonder how much info we’ll get from this camp? Suni’s ankles don’t look taped up here, but landing gingerly.

Suni - if you’re reading this - please please please water down. I can’t imagine you not being in Tokyo. You’re too good.

It’s so frustrating because dismounts are basically worthless in this Code. It is WRITTEN for gymnastics like hers.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back