2020 Event Finals Day 3 MAG PB/HB WAG BB (Tuesday, August 3, 2021)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I’m so irritated about this! I went onto the NBC olympics website this morning to watch the replay of the stream before work so I could see beam without being accidentally spoiled as to how Simone did and not only did they not have the stream available but they had a big headline banner at the top announcing Simone’s bronze. So now not only do I not get to watch beam unspoiled, I don’t get to watch any of it until after tonight. Bastards.

Rather than edit my post, here’s the full article from Nagorny.

Thank Prod for Lovesgymnasts recording these. I woke up to stingy NBC stealing joy once again but I don’t have to wait for prime time. Suck it NBC!

Not really. It’s quite unusual to still need ADHD medication as an adult?

I’m getting frustrated with the US media dumbing this down into a “mental health” issue. Almost conflating it with Naomi Osaka and her press-room related anxiety.

It does a disservice to public awareness of mental health issues. And it’s just factually incorrect reporting.

It was as unsafe and impossible for Simone to compete AA/VT/FX/UB as it was for Larissa to compete BB today. It’s not being framed as “unsafe” though. It’s being framed as Simone’s “choice” to “protect her mental well-being”.

So you’re saying that she shouldn’t have seen a psychologist because it wasn’t necessary ?

Not really. It’s quite unusual to still need ADHD medication as an adult?
A llot of people don’t get a diagnosis until well into adulthood. Anecdotally, I think it’s pretty common to take medication for a few years after the diagnosis (regardless of age), get your life more together, and subsequently desire to be off medication entirely.

The ADD never really goes away or gets cured per se, but people do commonly find different coping mechanisms (including but not limited to detailed organizational schemes and app reminders for absolutely everything, careers that benefit from ADD hyperfocus, a supportive spouse, or simply more life experience).

There’s no one-size-fits-all answer. I think that for some, the medication is the solution, while for others, it’s a stepping stone and enabler for a constellation of life choices that together constitute the solution. Neither path is wrong.

So you’re saying that she shouldn’t have seen a psychologist because it wasn’t necessary ?
I have no idea whether a psychologist might help twisties. And I have no idea how you’ve come to that conclusion based on what I said. Talk about reach.

But the conflation by the media of anxiety-type mental illness, and twisties, is what’s annoying me.

Last edited:
Simone herself is talking about it as a mental health issue; I think she knows more than we do what exactly she’s dealing with.

It is definitely a Nike deal. It is a special face mask that is supposed to be good for working out. They will be selling a black version to the general public in the coming months. Basically, it’s part of the medal ceremony uniform, so they have to wear it.

No, it’s not. At least not in my own anecdotal experience or that of several of my peers with ADHD. And I know a lot of folks with the condition 🤣 Personally, I can also add that I was extremely hyperactive all the way through my kid twenties. That has ebbed somewhat, but there are other very clear markers and problems with “daily life skills.”

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back