WAG/MAG Podium Training Notes/ Quick Hits/ Reports (Wed. July 21- Thurs. July 22)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I wonder if Jordan already peaked and isn’t sustaining it.

Definitely beam. Not sure on floor.

Simone lands another short Biles. “HOLY…!”

Nix it. Do the full in.

Chiles did a bunch of triple wolfs after and they looked great.

Biles crunched her feet on that short dismount. Eek. The dismount might be what she needs to win gold in EF…

I’d want to see how they score her in prelims first.

In all - my main thoughts different from Trials is simply that Skinner is looking likely to medal on vault if she can just repeat what she did today.

I need to score all the girls to see who qualifies for AA. I feel like none of them except Simone would have qualified on beam. Maaaaaybe Grace but I need to crunch the numbers in the morning after some sleep!!

ETA: I feel like Grace’s switch ring on floor was a 3. I wasn’t scoring but it looked iffy. Anyone else or just me?

Last edited:
Watching this I think Skinner has the edge over Carey on vault, and Carey the edge on floor. Grace’s beam might outscore the others if she hits-- here she looked calm and steady.

NBC appears to have been practicing keeping the camera on Simone while gymnastics happens in the background, so no info on how Jade’s beam looked.

I agree with the above comment that Jade looked pissed at Tom’s coaching after bars. Not sure what he’s doing with that, especially chasing the cameras away. That said, I think the thing with Skinner during beam was telling her to fix her beam mount, in which correction he was not wrong. It was better on the second attempt.

I was saying to a friend last week how Skinner and Carey could split VT/FX EF, so one of them isn’t shut out of individual medals after all. That looks very realistic based on today.

McCallum really washes out for me, but she looked terrific today. DTYs were her best all year, beam was rock solid beyond a slight wobble on the dance series (why does this always give her problems?) and floor was basically fine besides the jittery front pass. Don’t like her bars but even here she was relatively cleaner than Trials.

Chiles was same old. Good DTY but not her best, machine-like bars, beam had some problems on aerial-LSO (no Dudnik series), and floor had scrappy form on the front twisting pass but everything landed well. I agree with putting McCallum up on beam and might be swayed on floor.

Lee had a rather rough day besides bars, which was OGM material particularly the second routine. She’s typically shaky during training of meets I’ve attended, so I’m not too worried except for vault, where I hope the adrenaline will help her. She’s put the DLO back in, making the double L superfluous and hopefully they ditch it.

Most everything’s been said about Biles. Sensational Y2P and great Cheng/Amanar, bars cleaner and floatier than Trials, BB very assured and FX she kept everything in bounds, finally. Double wolf now instead of a triple (FX) which is a good call. The one “disappointment” was the Biles off beam which was deep and low even on her better first attempt. They’ve kept the aerial cartwheel in, and she did a great one today.

2-per predictions
AA: Biles, Lee
VT: Biles, Skinner
UB: Lee, Biles
BB: Biles, Lee
FX: Biles, Carey

Last edited:
Yes they need to nix the Double L. That was Suni’s biggest deduction on floor today.

You think Chiles isn’t going to make it out of prelims? Interesting…

I think she’s got a shot on floor. Although the biffed Triple Wolf attempt doesn’t help. I’ll need to score them all in the morning.

Last edited:
I would have Carey, McCallum, and Lee ahead of Chiles on floor.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back