Try to justify lower than 9.1 E-score for Leanne Wong's UB routine

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

That’s simply not true.
Well you just changed my quote lmao. I’m talking about Wong’s opening in particular. Every time she does it, her kip is not fully extended

And no, height is hip height upon regrasp. If the hips are at bar height -0.1, if below -0.3. They must be above, as the gymnast catches.

I thought her arms looked bent when she caught the Maloney, not on the backswing

Last edited:
The rule regarding these releases says “hip position prior to grasp the bar”, you are incorrect, and the code is not being followed correctly if someone is trying to judge during regrasp.

It’s a very flawed rule, height should be judged at the apex of the release, but it is the rule we have. Technically someone could get deducted for the highest releases ever if they purposefully flare their arms out and catch later then usual. Incidentally because of this rule, more people are unaesthetically sticking their butts up in the air on tkatchevs than we used to see, trying to keep the hips higher before catching.
I’m talking about Wong’s opening in particular. Every time she does it, her kip is not fully extended
It’s extended enough to me and I don’t think most judges are taking that deduction with the E-score she got.

Someone like Suni isn’t doing any better, and similarly I don’t see how she got the E-scores she did if that was being taken.

While were on the Suni subject, that’s another good case study of reputation judging (this time in favor of the gymnast rather than against), because there is no way she can get the E-scores she did if her grip adjustments were actually being deducted.
I thought her arms looked bent when she caught the Maloney, not on the backswing
I don’t see it at all, they are straight throughout to me, can you take a photo?

Often times, people noticeably bend the arms on both the catch and then again after swinging up (the Russians often had a severe bend on the upswing and judges didn’t seem to be deducting it), it’s not very nice looking. Although there does need to be some small allowance for bend, we can’t expect people to have perfectly straight arms at all times, especially when they are getting a more dynamic swing.

You’ve summoned @onodian
Looking Good Lord Of The Rings GIF by Max

Your forgetfulness is going to anger Andrade; you asked this recently!

She got an 8.8 for this, and an 8.733 in EF with missed connections/a downgrade

She got an 8.8 for this, and an 8.733 in EF with missed connections/a downgrade
Taking out skills is something that should improve the E-score though, all else being equal.

Like, that 8.8 from qualifying should have been a 9.1 if she took out the Toe 1/1 before the dismount (8.7 / 9.0 for me personally).

Last edited:
I almost said this but then I thought “wait, that’s last quad”.

I almost said this but then I thought “wait, that’s last quad”.
The code hasn’t changed though, except for how Paks are judged, which is a benefit for most people, since 99% of people were previously getting deducted for catch angle on the skill, often times with a .3

I thought the toe 1/1 looked like -0.1 in real time. Even if it were -0.3, the toe 1/1 adds .3 to her D score so taking it out wouldn’t change anything unless she were to totally screw it up

and yes RedBirdie I am but I deduce it’s a LOTR reference

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back