Skinner's rash beam exercise construction

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Yes. The official reason.

This is also why they are going to limit competitors at full Worlds also in 2026 and 2027.
Continentals will be qualifiers to those Worlds. This is to shorten qualification days which in turn shortens the entire competition in itself.

Right I agree. I remember back in 2001 when it was so fun to get the session quick hits on Gymmedia.com, I would write down the results after each subdivision and it was exciting to see teams pass each other.
https://www.gymmedia.com/ghent2001/appa/wom_teamquali8_e.htm

That said, delegations said hosting was too much with that many teams and individuals and the number of qualification days. So technically Worlds Qualification days will be continentals.

I kind of like the idea of a qualification meet before Worlds. There are just some athletes and routines that are not the elite level and are really a US level 6, 7, 8. As nice as it is for them to participate, it is just not World level competition.

The Olympics are already very limited. Only the top 12 teams. There will be more individuals this year than years past, but the Olympics always have way less competitors than worlds.

True
Didn’t think about that. I’ve been to a Worlds, Anaheim, but never an Olympics. Worlds was a great experience, watching all the sessions.

Last edited:
Olympics is always 98 athletes for women and 98 athletes for men. These spots are earned through qualification. 2023 Worlds will be the first Worlds since 2007 to auto-qualify all the Olympic spots other than the Triparte and continental quota.
2012 and 2016 there was a separate test event qualification and 2020ne we had the complicated qualification series.

I’ve never been bothered by seeing the lower level of gymnastics at worlds. I kinda like the reminder of how hard skills “basic” skills (e.g. giants) can be. My first experience of this was the 06 CWG when the BBC showed the first subdivision and I make a point not to skip subdivisions when I’m at worlds. I appreciate that I am not paying anything like the extra costs of a longer competition for hosts though.

What do other sports do for worlds? I feel like athletics has qualifying times or is that just for the Olympics?

I’d like to see as many countries as possible at Worlds. If we are using the US as a yardstick as to who deserves to compete, well, it knocks out the vast majority of countries. Besides, for lower ranked countries, this is their career goal. I don’t like elitism and if it means that judges are bored watching level 8 routines, then suck it up, tell me how you like your tea and I will throw you a cup of biccies to get though an extra day of judging to make some adolescent dreams come true.

Gymnastics is one of the very few sports that allows for open registration for any participants to attend.
Most sports have a qualification to Worlds, including Gymnastics counterparts, Figure Skating.

If continentals are done well I think that would be an excellent way to do qualifications.

Different because it’s a team sport, but Ice Hockey does tiers. So the top 16 teams are in the elite division (Your Canadas, Russias, Swedens, etc). From there it is: Division 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, (6 teams each), 3A and 3B (5 teams each), and 4 (4 teams). Each division has it’s own world championships, hosted by one of the countries in that division. Teams move up and down depending on how they finish.

Qualification to the olympics is based on points accumulated at the world championships during that quad, with a final olympic qualifying tournament for the last 2 or 4 spots (I can’t recall exactly). Which means one bad worlds won’t doom you to missing the olympics.

LOVE using continental championships as qualification to Worlds. I don’t know how FIG plans to do it, but here’s what I would do:

Continental Championships: federations have the option of sending 2 individuals in addition to their teams; they may compete as many apparatus as desired

Qualification to Worlds:
  • Top 6 team, all-around, and apparatus from Africa, Americas, Asia, and Europe; Top 3 from Oceania.
  • Top 6 all-around and apparatus from the previous World Championships or Olympics
  • Top 6 all-around and apparatus from World Cup ranking
  • Individuals in all categories are guaranteed participation even if they are not selected as part of the 4-member teams sent to the World Championships

Last edited:
I don’t agree with the top 6 teams from all those as Europe clearly needs more teams.
I would be fine with 2 from Africa and 1 from Oceania.

Maybe 24 teams total:
5 Americas
4 Asia
1 Africa
1 Oceania
13 Europe

If you look at 2019 Worlds
MAG
Europe 15, Asia 5, Americas 4, Oceania 1 (Africa declined a full team)
WAG
Europe 13 (Poland dropped out so 12), Asia 4, Americas 5, Oceania 1, Africa 1

If you look at 2015 Worlds
MAG
Europe 14, Asia 4, Americas 6, Oceania 0, Africa 0 (before the continental quota in place)
WAG
Europe 15, Asia 4, Americas 4, Oceania 1, Africa 0

Continental Individuals:
top 6 MAG AA and Top 1 on each apparatus from non qualified countries or qualified AA
top 8 WAG AA and Top 1 on each apparatus from non-qualified countries.

Last edited:
top 6 MAG AA and Top 1 on each apparatus from non qualified countries or qualified AA
top 8 WAG AA and Top 1 on each apparatus from non-qualified countries.
No way. I feel that that is way too little for the apparatus.

Last edited:
I’d like to see as many countries as possible at Worlds. If we are using the US as a yardstick as to who deserves to compete, well, it knocks out the vast majority of countries. Besides, for lower ranked countries, this is their career goal. I don’t like elitism and if it means that judges are bored watching level 8 routines, then suck it up, tell me how you like your tea and I will throw you a cup of biccies to get though an extra day of judging to make some adolescent dreams come true.
All countries will be able to participate at Junior World Championships under this plan.

If Worlds remain too large and expensive, what we will end up with is years with no Worlds at all.

Simple.

Use Junior Continentals to qualify to Junior Worlds.

To be honest, 3 member junior teams does not seem right. Do 4 or 5.

Asia, Europe, and the Americas already has a junior continetnal meet. Just need Africa and Oceania

The other positive with using a continental qualifier to Worlds is that it puts a reasonably big meet more local to the interested audience. It might actually do something to grow the sport in some countries if they can hold an important event that isn’t overwhelming in size. And as a potential audience member, I might not have the money to fly to Switzerland or China to see Worlds, but I could see myself driving to Toronto to see Worlds Qualifiations. And it would add some real prestige to those who made it – like, you made it instead of just getting a spot because everyone gets a spot.

Instead of a static “per continent” quota, it should be constantly adjusting based on previous results or should be based on some minimum score for each event and then do percentages based on how many across the world achieved that minimum score (obviously it is hard to compare scores between different events, but if the minimum qualifying score is set to a value that most “good” competitors can achieve without helpful judging, it should be okay). So if Europe is killin it on rings it would increase the quota spots for that event and if Asia is destroying everyone on UB, then their slots increase on that event.

Last edited:
Simple.

Use Junior Continentals to qualify to Junior Worlds.

To be honest, 3 member junior teams does not seem right. Do 4 or 5.

Asia, Europe, and the Americas already has a junior continetnal meet. Just need Africa and Oceania
I’m not sure what your solution is in response to.

All countries will be able to participate in Junior World Championships. This competition is already truncated by having Qualifications serve as the Team Final, holding MAG/WAG AA final on the same day, and only allowing three member teams. 36 countries will send a full team, every other country in good standing can send one athlete. The 36 teams are qualified by AA quals results from the previous Junior Worlds.

Letting every country participate in Junior Worlds is what is allowing the FIG to create a qualification path to Senior Worlds while still giving every federation’s delegation access to equal education/seminars/round tables at a World Championship.

Art. 5.3, Pages 74-75 https://www.gymnastics.sport/publicdir/rules/files/en_Technical Regulations 2021.pdf

Also 3 member teams for the Juniors not only saves money, it emphasizes AA at the junior level while at the same time leveling the playing field in a children’s meet for countries that don’t have the advantage of depth.

I understand.
But what I am saying is that they can easily mimic qualifications for the juniors that would work for seniors as well.
That way continentals are combined both juniors and seniors which makes it even more prestigious of an event.

I love when Euros takes place with both the juniors and seniors! I also really enjoy when Pac Rims combines juniors and seniors as well . So I think holding a Continental qualifier for both divisions at the same meet would be fun and bring excitement, rather than open Worlds to whomever.

Also IMO Junior Worlds in the format that it was in was extremely boring without a team or AA final.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back