Tokyo Qualies (interesting routines)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

onodian

I hand’t seen Sanne:

It’s kind of weird to me how she was rewarded with a gold in 2016 and then this doesn’t make finals even. I feel she has really been a constant on her career too, I’m glad on one of the better moments she snatched Olympic gold

This one’s tough to watch:

also, has he got something in his mouth? After the routine he’s kind of panting and it looks blue. Is this something people do? Like boxers?

She would probably have made finals but for that L turn…

Last edited:
I just realized Nina leads E-panel in bars, beam AND floor qualis

I can’t say I’m happy with this taking first place in E score:

Yes!

Love this! We are also missing some judging for these prelims routines so I’m definitely going to revisit and fill in as necessary

Nina’s doesn’t strike me as a particularly clean routine, it’s more empty than anything.

I must say though, moors took third e-score place with visible errors on the first two tumbling passes so probably she’d have come up on top had she “hit” the routine (jess G also has that stumble out of the leap tho)

Last edited:
Nina’s not my cup of tea, but that’s a smartly constructed routine. And while I didn’t agree with every choreo choice made, it show actual choreography, which is way to rare these days. There’s just not many places for judges to take deductions. Also, I’m a total sucker for those little homages to Bogi’s “Carmen” that Nina does.

Re: Sanne’s beam, the e-scores on beam are so bunched at the top, the judges are (the code, actually), imo, doing a terrible job of separating the athletes in a meaningful way. Sanne finished 14th, a third reserve, due to 2-per. The execution scores of those 14 gymnasts ranged from 7.566 (Biles) to 8.266 (Listunova); throw out Biles and the range is 7.8 (Black) to 8.266. TEN of the 14 were bunched in the 8.000-8.266 range. D score is doing the separating on beam because the code is failing to provide adequate execution separation between beam routines.

Bars also has an e-score bunching problem, but we’ve been bitching about that for multiple quads now. Vault does as well. Floor less so just because a handful of gymnasts can throw insane difficulty and really rack up the d-score to overcome low e-scores (coughUSAcough). Though the floor final the scores were pretty bunched together–but that was the rare final where 7 of 8 hit, so what an enjoyable final to watch from a spectator point of view.

In all the drama, Ellie Black seemed to pass me by. Didn’t even think about her until BB EF.

You can really tell her foot/ankle is an issue here. Just no punch in anything, and I’m surprised she made it through in one piece.

Even the Split Full in the leap series. Just no punch off that foot. Kudos to her for keeping the series going. And I’m not sure if she was attempting a Switch 1/1 at the end but that is absolutely a Switch Side 1/2 in my book.

Very well presented though.

Just dipping into my scores from Tokyo prelims. I had Urazova (57.6) beating Listunova (56.8) beating Melnikova (56.1).

I wonder how different Melnikova’s year would have been if she was 2perd from the AA. Would Worlds have happened? Would Listunova have tried a Worlds run too?

This was the highest scoring FTY of the Games:

E = 9.258. Which means - R Panel intervention.

If the E Panel is between 9.0 and 9.4, the allowable tolerance between the R Jury and the E Jury is 0.15 or less. Given the numbers, I think the most likely scenario is:

E Jury - 9.166 (i.e. two 9.2s and a 9.1)
R Jury - 9.350 (i.e. a 9.3 and a 9.4)

ETA:

Am I missing something? I had this at a 9.0 and she got an 8.2??

Did she hit her foot or something? I cannot get this down to an 8.2??

Last edited:
You should do a thread for all the TQ videos and each post is the full team 16 routines.
I would LOVE that for my vacation in three weeks.

My guess is that they hit full pirouettes with 0.5s, especially since the first one had an extra giant.

They also hit her Pak. She could not toe-shap-half out of it (which I am sure every judge knows she CAN do), which makes it more noticeable that the catch was not as good.

But she actually had been known to use the easier routine before, so i think she was just playing this safe, specially since it was clear she was going to qualify to aa at this point. I’m just saying, i don’t think she meant to do the connections

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back