The definition of "dynamics"

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Denn

Staff member
Defender
In this video that came out today, judge/choreographer Nicole Langevin defines dynamics this way, and says there is a deduction for it on every event:

The code does define dynamics in the glossary: “Active, forceful, energetic, explosive change in the intensity of performance”

However, I only ever saw dynamics listed for vault, where, frankfully, it’s redundant to height and distance (and was removed last quad before being added back in this past quad). But that’s the only place I’ve ever seen it. Is there something I don’t know about?

Last edited:
Maybe the clip of this judge is referencing judging Development Program levels? We do have dynamics deductions on every event there.

At the risk of rezzing a very old discussion, I just saw this. My thought re: vault- I’ve seen somewhat powerful vaults get good height and distance, but be rather lacking in internal amplitude. Essentially the gymnast powered through the trick but without the degree of mechanical awareness or ability that we’d really like to see. The vault ends up clunky. In my mind those vaults can be lacking in dynamics.

(Also I agree with Doug’s comment, what an odd skill for the video to select for a discussion of dynamics)

(Also I agree with Doug’s comment, what an odd skill for the video to select for a discussion of dynamics)
Yes… totally… but maybe that is their point.

Dynamics is really a very vague term. If dynamics is…
the branch of mechanics concerned with the motion of bodies under the action of forces.
…and the video says…
doing difficult things and making them look easy
…and we are using a spinning skill… then here you go… should be pretty easy to judge if you watch the whole video…

That one top made it look easier as all the others fell.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back