Are China still in the big three?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Wu Wenli was actually the first to do the back full on beam in 1981, despite being named for Shishova

I guess Glotova also has a back full tucked? And a Sasada mount? Forgot about this…

That’s a pretty balanced team, Rich, in terms of strengths and having gymnasts from the different national teams. I wasn’t considering potential Worlds teams with both Wei and Huang on them, but it’s definitely possible. The fifth gymnast will either be Huang Zhuofan, Wu Ran (if she can get fully back to shape), Zhang Jin/He Licheng (if one has the DTT), Zhang Xinyi, or Zhou Yaqin. In my opinion, the latter two would be great alternates if the others capitalize on their best events. I pray TXJ and Luo Rui get back to shape, but it is doubtful. Luo Rui can’t do round-off layout on beam at the moment, and she can’t do FF + loso either.

Their best bet, as a team, might be to quit focusing on vault upgrades and hone in on consistency on the other events. Theoretically they can win with three FTYs/FTTs

It’s an interesting question – I would argue yes, if forced to define a “Big 3” that they do belong as choice #3 for the time being after US and Russia. That’s not to say they are the likeliest bet for Team Bronze at any given meet, for the many reasons discussed already, but in terms of the high-level talent they bring to a meet I would always factor them into the overall medal haul that they can produce for their Bars and Beam finalists. (I would also tend to expect them to have a relatively viable All-Around finalist as well, and often a floor finalist). I think for those reasons they are a better choice for this slot than someone like Canada, Italy, Brazil, or GB, in part because the success of those teams is often riding on the fortunes of 1-3 top talents while China still remains able to consistently produce new medal-winning Bars and Beam athletes each quad, despite their Team final (mis)fortunes.

Last edited:
I would say depend on the interpretation of “Big Three”. If “Big Three” is about team, certainly not now. I see countries like Britain, Italy, Japan are fighting for a team medal. Teams like Australia and Mexico are stepping in Top 8.

If “Big Three” is about gold medal haul (China extremely prioritizes it over team), then yes. Bars and beam are certainly their strength.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back