Simone is out of the AA, VT, UB and FX

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Two days in a row with gymnastics as the main news headline. Not sport headline, the news headline. Mind blowing. I was up at 0400 for swimming, tennis, diving and seeing the gymternet wake up to this news feels surreal.

Gutted for Simone and my thoughts go out to her. Completely respect her decision, she knows what she needs and what is safe.
I just got off the phone with a co-worker who had to tell me their opinion on Simone. Ugh. The general public (four year fan) opinion seems to be: “she should just compete or she should have taken herself off the team a long time ago.”

Sad. I wish more people had your response. “I respect her decision, she knows what is safe.”

Last edited:
Plus, AA has a touch warm up. I hope Jade goes for the Carey. If she rotates in Simone’s place in the order she will have a good idea if she has no shot for an AA medal before the decision is made.

(If Jade won an AA medal 2020 would become the Olympics which shall not be named. Not because I dislike her, but it would mean most of the favorites faltered and gym fans can’t handle another Sydney-esque final.)

So how do you feel about potential aa medalist nina derwael?
Nina pretty much maxes out at a mid 56. Her difficulty score prevents her from going any higher. Look at her prelims E Scores - 8.9, 8.666, 8.366, 8.566 - she quite literally cannot go higher.

If a mid 56 gets her a medal tomorrow, then fair enough. The other athletes (there’s easily 5 or 6 out there capable of getting a 57) would have failed to deliver.

I’m really surprised they didn’t sub her in. I love Urazova, she’s a beautiful gymnast, but she doesn’t have the difficulty, most likely, to win.

I realize it’s the Olympics and clearly anything can happen… but still.

It was literally one tenth. Listunova’s feet in her triple full literally cost her a place in the AA final.

The moral of the story folks…

Wait, is Listunova not in the start order? I’m shocked Russia didn’t sub her in. Disregard my previous post.

According to this, they didn’t. When do they have to finalize this? Valentina still hung over from the team and forgot to get the paperwork in?

Do you think Urazova has a better shot than Listunova of winning?

Last edited:
Yea it was definitely a put together video so I guess I should take it for what it’s worth. But it was talking about how Kerry had left his gym (after switching several times) because she felt Bela could prepare her more. And he said something like “well when she came here we knew she certainly displayed the ability to leave…”. It was just snarky.

Really?? After the composure Suni showed the last several rounds, especially team finals?

She’s the one I most expect to get through all 4 close to peak performance. Andrade looks second most poised, and she didn’t have to deal with the team final wear and tear,so maybe that gives her the edge

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back