Simone Biles comeback: latest on US Classic Roster

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Another photo of Simone at national team camp along with the other participants.
IMG_7475

Last edited:
Are they given leos or are they gym ones? Because i count maybe 6 different ones. That level of gym consolidation feels new.

That has to be an incredible feeling for some of those girls to attend camp with Simone for the first time, if you were like 8 or whatever when she won in Rio and lived your entire conscious life watching her dominate.

Classic is usually a warm up or try-new-things meet and I know this was discussed somewhere. The video of Simone training bars showed us the Piked tkatchev, pak, van leeuwen. So her routine will likely be weiler 1/2, maloney, giant full, piked tkatchev, pak, van leeuwen. What else can she do besides her double double dismount? What are they going to update to?

Do you think there will be any surprises?

I’m hoping that her bar routine stays simple. She doesn’t like bars and in my opinion it is better to focus on adding complexity and challenges on other events.

Agreed. Her UB really only exists for her AA program and even if she managed to get into EFs, she wouldn’t be top 3 in the top 8. It’s looking like the USA will have some strong UB workers for next year so she could sit out UB for TFs.

It’s looking like the USA will have some strong UB workers for next year so she could sit out UB for TFs.
[/l

True about needing it only for her AA and true she doesn’t like it. And now that the Weiler full is named she probably doesn’t have any original elements she’d want to have named.

Bars was the only event that the Landis managed her successfully on last quad. If she is going to push upgrades anywhere I would prefer it to be on bars.

Maybe the simpler bar routine Aimee Boorman had her do helped her manage her floor and vault landings in 2016. Gymnastics isn’t baseball (obviously). But the baseball podcasts I listen to talk about how learning a new defensive position (first base instead of third base) will lower a player’s hitting average because they are always thinking about the fielding they have to do right after they hit the ball. And if I remember correctly, Simone was struggling with bars at Classics or Nationals in 2021.

She has also had a few years to become comfortable with her floor and vault upgrades (mentally anyway, not sure how much she was training them until recently). So maybe she will be able to dial the power in more precisely now (though overpowering them is always going to be preferable and safer to underrotating when you are talking about a YDP or a tripledouble.)

Last edited:
On bars at camp she had the second highest D score and also E score.

Last edited:
Which is interesting because she was third after Miller and Blakely and was only two tenths above Zhou.

According to Scott Bregman from USAG, Simone is still not qualified to Nationals.

does competition surface really make that much a difference?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back