Shilese IG post (Disappointment of Olympic Trials outcome)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Aimee is not the head coach, she is just one of the coaches during the Olympics…somehow they made the moronic choise to have the men’s head coach also be the womans… though in my recollection he was never involved with womans gymnastics :roll_eyes:

Is that because daddy Wevers was suspended, unsuspended and how re-suspended and cannot go to Tokyo?

Reactions: L_R
Thank you.
That said, she is a national coach in some capacity since she is not a personal coach.

True, just not the head coach. They made the decision to leave the personal coaches at home as nearly all kf them are investigated. pending the outcome they decided to go for a new coaching team

help if I can, what is your confusion? Kittia was HC of Buckeye, Christian was the Asst. During Rio they only allowed 1 coach per…Gabby chose to bring Christian. Or is your question something different?

Oh I knew that. I was referring to the “rumors of a relationship between she and Christian”. I was trying to figure out who the “she” was indicating. Was it Kittia? Or Gabby?

As I said upthread, I don’t know either personally. I had heard this back in 2016 from someone pretty close to their circle at the time though……so??

Yeah we all heard the rumours but you’d think that it would have come out now 5 years later

I’m always down for gossip

I mean she was 20. It’s a bit weird if he did actually hook up with her but if Gabby wanted what she wanted then fair enough!

Totally random but

I wish Gabby had done more with this music. It was perfect for a reigning Olympic AA champion coming back. Especially the piece between the full in and the double pike.

I see the Buckeye association, choosing this thread 5 months later hahahahha

Yeah that is nice music. I like Douglas’ choreo here but wouldn’t say love. Her musicality is superb and she sells the routine well, but it’s very static choreo and mostly a series of poses. Such beautiful skills tho!!!

I love the dramatic part of it. The bit between the full in and double pike. And also the bit from just before the dismount to the end.

You can tell she’s actually listening to the music, rather than just dancing over it. But I wish the choreography was more complex. She could have made a lot more of it. The posing is pretty recycled. I prefer the music over the dancework.
I see the Buckeye association, choosing this thread 5 months later hahahahha
Ha yes, and because we were speaking about the rumor that her and Christian were an item, at some point…

ETA: You also just KNOW that, if it were Aly’s music, she would NEVER hit that beat with the arms out just before turning for the DMT. She would be an annoying 0.6 seconds ahead of the beat.

You can tell that Gabby is listening to the music because, at 0:32, she’s early hitting the beat with her arms up, but she knows it and she slows down to let the music catch up before continuing. Aly would never do that. She would be streaming across the floor with her arms up and down onto the next part.

ETA2: Can we also just take a moment to reflect on how gorge that Switch Ring at 0:44 is. Foot is above head height and she is in lovely oversplit, with full back arch and head release. If only her 2012 beam Switch Ring looked like that. It always annoyed me that they kept that awful gogean in. Which never got fully rotated, landed with feet apart and always had a huge sideways out of control lunge out of it. She put in a lovely ring leap in 2016 (here at 0:18). God knows why they didn’t just do Switch Ring to Ring Leap in Rio prelims. A couple of little tweaks like that and Gabby would have made Rio AA finals:

Last edited:
Come to think of it, there was less than a 5 tenth difference between Aly and Gabby in Rio prelims. You can easily make that up on floor alone.

For a start, she went OOB before her second pass.

She got credited a 6.1. She was attempting:

Double L - L 0.1
Double Arabian - Stag 0.1
Full In - Tuck Back 0.2
Memmel

Switch Ring to Gogean
Ferrari
Double Pike
Double Tuck

DDCDD/EEDD 0.4 = 6.4

She got a 6.1. Obviously the Gogean did not get credit. That takes her down to a 6.3. To explain the additional two tenths, she either: (1) didn’t get the tuck back connection but they credited both the Memmel and the Ferrari; or (2) she did get the tuck back connection, but she didn’t get either of the Memmel or the Ferrari. Given that the back foot in the Ferrari was at shoulder height, I think number (1) is more likely.

Given that she didn’t get credit for the Tuck Back anyway, if they had taken it out she might have been able to stick the Full In without the hop, and without any potential height/shape/chest deductions on the Tuck back.

Replacing the Gogean (which went down to a C anyway) with the Split to Ring would have likely saved at least 3 tenths. Maybe more. That landing was wild. She was short. She landed with feet noticeably apart. Making that switch wouldn’t have affected her D Score at all but would have really helped her E. Also, I’d have removed the Ferrari entirely. She was counting 9 C’s in her DV. The Ferrari was only giving her an extra tenth, with a spare C in the bank in case one of her turns was short. And even if it was, it’s only giving you two tenths which is probably lost in E anyway. Cut it.

I seriously think that, if you make those tweaks (sticks the Full In, no tuck back, replace the Gogean with the Split to Ring, and take the Ferrari out and count the Switch Ring instead), and you give her back the (stupidly hilarious) pre-pass OOB, Gabby would have made it into the AA final.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back