Shilese IG post (Disappointment of Olympic Trials outcome)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I also wondered if the shenanigans of 2016 was biting him in the ass now (in regards to his relationships with other coaches and staff)
Right, that may well have been a factor in how he was treated. Would Shilese have been aware of all of that though?

I believe that they each are allowed 10 total — the men (bc they only have one +1) can take 5 alternates - 4 team, 1 +1, and that leaves 5 alternates for a total of 10. The women, would be able to take 4 team, the 2 +1s, and 4 alternates for a total of 10

I can see her being pissed that there was a spare alternate position (they only picked 4 when the rules said there were 5).

And she came 10th AA. They picked the top 9 AA.

Presumably she felt that she should have been next in line for the alternate spot and they intentionally decided not to give it to her, even though they could have?

are we sure they were allowed 5? I was told that they were allowed to take 10 total…for men that would would 5 alternates…but for women (bc they have two +1) that would be 4 alternates.

That’s possible, But equally possible that Shields, like many of us, doesn’t know that.

The rules say “up to five.” Nothing about they would absolutely 100% for sure take 5 alternates.
The Athlete Selection Committee will determine the remaining two (2) athletes to fill the quotas for the Team Competition and at least one (1) and up to five (5) replacement athletes from among the competitors at the 2020 U.S. Olympic Team Trials – Women’s Gymnastics or accepted petitions (see 1.4.) utilizing the discretionary criteria outlined in Section 2.2.

Last edited:
I think it’s all about lack of communication and responsibility from everyone. For those saying she never had a chance, she was right in the mix (had she hit her routines she would’ve finished 4th at nationals and 5th at trials). Honestly, had they just come up with a smart floor routine that could consistently break 14, she really would’ve been in the conversation to make the main team. The most frustrating thing is she has all of the pieces to do it, she just didn’t have the proper guidance to put the pieces together.

I’ve always felt like Christian was out of his league coaching her. Shilese’ poor routine construction over the years and overall lack of improvement (in consistency and difficulty) is a testament to that IMO. She’s had incredible potential since 2014, and she just hasn’t made the impact she should’ve made this quad. I blame that on Christian mostly, but that’s also where Tom should’ve come into play. There should’ve been discussion on her routine construction. I feel Martha/National team staff would’ve gotten her routines together a long time ago (or flat out ignored her the way Shilese mentioned Tom did). If that’s what happened, I’m glad Shilese is speaking up. And like someone mentioned above, if the reason they took only 4 alternates was because of ten person quota, that should’ve been communicated.

At the end of the day though, we’d be having an entirely different discussion had sis hit her routines!

And it wasn’t just that she finished tenth. She finished tenth by a mile with a 109.6 to 11th place’s 106.6 (AND she did awesome 14.9 vaults both days, with all the talk of how usa needs another vault). If i thought they were picking ten, would think it’s only between me and Riley for last alternate, I would be confused and angry if they didn’t pick either and didn’t explain.

Last edited:
She may have finished 10th “by a mile” but what does she add? As noted, any DTY will do for the US. While her vault is spectacular, it’s not going to be the difference between gold an silver. And she stands no chance at EFs because her second vault had a D score of 4.1

She finished 14th on bars, 10th on beam, and 10th on floor.

DiCello is a solid AAer. Wong can be outstanding on beam and floor. Eaker has made multiple world finals on beam. Malabuyo finished .001 behind Wong.

I feel bad that she was apparently convinced by people that she was a very legit contender. I feel bad that she feels ignored. But she was always, at best, on the bubble to even be considered a bubble athlete. But 10th AA at trials (and 12th at nationals!) will never have you in the conversation for the Olympics.

As another post mentioned she would have been very much in the mix without the bars mishaps. Her beam and floor scores also seemed very low in comparison to what others were getting.

She had zero chance at the Olympics, so I am unsure as to why she is reacting this way, especially after finishing 10th at Trials.

Oh come on now.
Shilese was never in the mix. 12th at Nationals, 10th at Trials, has a history of falling when it counts.

Can you point us to Shilese videos of beam and floor so we can judge them?
How do you know that her scores were low compared to others? Are you just looking at the scores and thinking they are low?

Yeah. Nope, Shilese was not underscored in comparison to the others. Pretty much dead on between Gymnaverse and USAG, with USAG being a bit more lenient.

Day 1 Floor Gymnaverse: 7.900 compared to USAG 8.100 (we had her .2 lower)

Day 2 Beam Gymnaverse 7.950 compared to USAG 7.900 (we had her .05 higher)

Day 2 Floor Gymnaverse 8.050 compared to USAG 8.133 ( we had her .083 lower)

I haven’t found her Day 1 Bars and Beam.

That said, Skinner was getting gifts, but no one else was really that far off from what we were scoring, in fact we had several athletes that we felt were underscored on bars night one including DiCello, McCusker, and McCallum.

I don’t understand the big difference in score between this routine and the one from Shilese

Gymnaverse had Wong’s floor at 8.400 compared to USAG giving her a 8.533. USAG was .133 higher. but again nothing suspicious.
USAG had Jones .2 higher on floor day 1 than Gymnaverse did.

So, Jones wasn’t being blatantly low balled.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back