Russia-Ukraine War: Effects on Gymn World

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I just remembered Doug1233 yowling about Starbucks being deemed an essential service that could stay open during covid lockdowns.
I need evidence before you accuse me of yowling.

That Starbucks decision is no surprise. Starbucks execs love virtue signaling with minimal substance.

Viktoriia Onopriienko is now in Italy and competing in RG Serie A. She was previously residing in Kyiv. Here’s the full story in Italian:

From his recent Insta stories, it looks like Verniaiev has joined the army

It’s going to be so awkward when Rus and Ukr gymnasts share the same floor/podium again. Especially the Rus gymnasts who tweeted support for the war/the “Z”, literally right next to ukr gymnasts who have had their lives upended, or even family members killed, by that same war.

Reactions: L_R
People from enemy states compete at the same competitions all the time. It’s one of the few things the Olympic movement got right. Athletes don’t have to fall in love with each other. They just have to show basic sportsmanship.

It’s going to be so awkward when Rus and Ukr gymnasts share the same floor/podium again.
Which is why the ban should extend past the Russian invasion, maybe a year or two after things get better.

People from enemy states compete at the same competitions all the time. It’s one of the few things the Olympic movement got right. Athletes don’t have to fall in love with each other. They just have to show basic sportsmanship.
I disagree, this is a completely separate and unique situation.
What you are talking about are athletes removed from the war.
Instead you have Ukrainian athletes defending their country and Russian athletes using their athletic and celebrity status to promote the war.

There’s that one time the United States led an invasion of Iraq with false justification. The resulting war lead to a large displacement of Iraqis and a mass exodus of Iraq’s Christian community. Iraqi, British and American athletes still had to display basic sportsmanship to each other regardless of their opinions on the war.

As for Russia, they should be allowed to return to competition when we’re confident the ROC’s fuckery is under control. And the ROC and Ministry of Sport won’t be under control until well after this invasion ends. As I previously mentioned, everyone will have to return to displaying bare minimum sportsmanship at competitions.

Iraqi, British and American athletes still had to display basic sportsmanship to each other regardless of their opinions on the war.
No one wore symbols on their gymnastics apparel to mock their competitors. Nor should they ever.

Last edited:
Of course they shouldn’t. But it was an action taken by 1 individual gymnast, for which he will be rightly punished over and above Russia’s ban.

You guys must be seriously naive about what went on in the Soviet Union, because under this criteria, its athletes should have been banned for its entirety.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back